Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  77
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 14, Vs Collingwood

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I don't think we can (or should) tag them all...pick one out of Treloar, Pendlebury and Sidebottom...shut them down and live with the consequences of the other two.

Crozier seems to play his best 'high' and as an interceptor...Stephenson needs a HARD shutdown. Is Crozier right for that job?
    Crozier is quick, and good in the air and this is why he is really good as an interceptor. An alternative to him could be Williams who wasn't as bad throughout the game Saturday as people possibly remember (that howler was a genuine howler, however). He is solid in the air and is quick, I'd love to see him put in a really solid performance this week.

I've picked Pendlebury to run with because he's not overly quick but can really hurt at the source and one disposal removed and this is also where Jacko excels. Given the job Jacko did Saturday I want to see him go again.

I nominated Duryea to run with Sidebottom if the latter is pushed out to a wing or flank. Not sure what I'd do if Sidebottom spent time as a genuine follower.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I've picked Pendlebury to run with because he's not overly quick but can really hurt at the source and one disposal removed and this is also where Jacko excels. Given the job Jacko did Saturday I want to see him go again.
    Pendlebury is an interesting one as he has been taking a bit of responsibility for the best opposition mid and I think you will see him go to Bont - we therefore wont get the chance to go at him.

I see a few people have mentioned Duryea to come in...I don't really understand that - he has only played one game back and we are about to play the best team (or as near as) in it...I would have thought his position in the team was not really that guaranteed just yet. Then again, we targeted him in the off-season so you're probably right...straight back in.

With the Crozier thing, are you saying Williams plays Crozier's role and Crozier goes to Stephenson? Why not just send Williams to Stephenson? Wouldn't that be simpler and allow the back 6 to continue playing the roles they are most comfortable in?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Happy for him to give away 10cm?
    Not too concerned by it. Duryea has some hops
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

1/. Select Hayes and get him to do it. Liber is out so that's a pretty simple change.
    2/. Last chance corral for Dale. Challenge him to do it and rather than bring in Hayes bring in Young (Le version) to assist English in the battle with Grundy.
    The choice between asking Hayes to mind the opposition's most damaging outside mid or asking Dale to do something that's comprehensively out of character is like asking me if I'd prefer a punch in the face or a knee in the jatz.

Can I have some think music please?
    Last edited by Rocket Science; 17-06-2019 at 07:22 PM.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

5. Likes ratsmac, merantau, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pendlebury is an interesting one as he has been taking a bit of responsibility for the best opposition mid and I think you will see him go to Bont - we therefore wont get the chance to go at him.

I see a few people have mentioned Duryea to come in...I don't really understand that - he has only played one game back and we are about to play the best team (or as near as) in it...I would have thought his position in the team was not really that guaranteed just yet. Then again, we targeted him in the off-season so you're probably right...straight back in.

With the Crozier thing, are you saying Williams plays Crozier's role and Crozier goes to Stephenson? Why not just send Williams to Stephenson? Wouldn't that be simpler and allow the back 6 to continue playing the roles they are most comfortable in?
    Yes, was suggesting in lieu of Crozier being too valuable as an interceptor my next choice for Stephenson would be Williams.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo's members message just gave a hint that Duryea will play this week. Gave him a wrap for Saturdays game.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Bevo's members message just gave a hint that Duryea will play this week. Gave him a wrap for Saturdays game.
    Yes and mentioned all in the backline except Cordy too.

Post Thanks / Like

Going to buck a trend here and say that I would make minimal changes to the side. That 1st quarter was a good as any I have seen and, whilst we let them back in twice, we steadied to hold them off.

Outs: Libba

In: Dureya

Dale: I would give him another week in the team. With McLean moving into the midfield the role at Wing/HF is his.

Midfield: Libba moving out of the midfield is a loss, but I think that more midfield time has to go into McLean, Lippa and Dunks.

Dureya: - can play at either end and will be a useful addition to the defence or as a defensive winger.

West: - too early for him.

Dickson: - with Gowers out, he is our best and most natural forward. Not a big possession winner. Only needs to get it 5 or times to hurt the opposition.

10. Likes S Coast Simon, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    The choice between asking Hayes to mind the opposition's most damaging outside mid or asking Dale to do something that's comprehensively out of character is like asking me if I'd prefer a punch in the face or a knee in the jatz.

Can I have some think music please?
    So....what did you come back with?

1. I don’t actually have an issue with whatever we decide...unless what we decide is just to roll with it and let the match-ups be as they may. At the end of the game if we have conceded 25+ touches to Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Adams, Phillips and treloar - and let Sidebottom win the ‘metres gained’ tally...well, we are gonna lose again.

2. We need to have a shutdown player on our list...why not try Hayes? Why not try Dale? Hayes actually has a lot of attributes for the job and Dale could do with learning how hard he needs to run to get a kick...

12. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Agree on Treloar being the one to shut down in the first instance. In inredible form. But we might need to keep an open mind on it during the game if they start hitting the ball to outside the stoppage to Pendlebury like they did in the last quarter last time around.
    I like the idea of playing a tag on Treloar. Is there any reason why Macrae couldn’t be given that role given the good job on Cripps. I would also like to see Daniel moved into the midfield to replace Liberatore where he has the ability to provide better opportunities for our forwards. This would pave the way for Richards or Duryea to take his place in defence.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the writing is on the wall for Bailey Dale. He has not shown enough over the years.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    I think the writing is on the wall for Bailey Dale. He has not shown enough over the years.
    Certainly not on in our best 22. Footscray had a big win and can't see him keeping his spot.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    So - change his role.

Play him inside. Play him in a back pocket. Try something. Don't just let a player who in 2017 was our most talented 'young player' fall by the wayside...

17. Likes hujsh, SquirrelGrip, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So....what did you come back with?

1. I don’t actually have an issue with whatever we decide...unless what we decide is just to roll with it and let the match-ups be as they may. At the end of the game if we have conceded 25+ touches to Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Adams, Phillips and treloar - and let Sidebottom win the ‘metres gained’ tally...well, we are gonna lose again.

2. We need to have a shutdown player on our list...why not try Hayes? Why not try Dale? Hayes actually has a lot of attributes for the job and Dale could do with learning how hard he needs to run to get a kick...
    Bevo previously said that Will has a huge engine. Might be the shutdown player we are looking for. Won't know if we don't try.

19. Likes S Coast Simon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So - change his role.

Play him inside. Play him in a back pocket. Try something. Don't just let a player who in 2017 was our most talented 'young player' fall by the wayside...
    Something has to be done as 4 disposals in a game where we had over 400 doesn't cut it. Some quarters he didn't even touch the ball.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.