Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  49
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The ‘powerful’ 21yo beast that can lead the Western Bulldogs to a flag

Link

Triple premiership Blue Mark Maclure believes young star forward Aaron Naughton can lead the Western Bulldogs to a premiership, declaring he’ll be “very wealthy” when his AFL career ends.

Naughton was drafted by the Bulldogs as a defender with Pick 9 in the 2017 draft and spent his debut season as a backman.

But since 2019, Naughton has developed into one of the league’s most exciting tall forwards, booting 80 goals from his past 49 games. He sits sixth on this year’s Coleman Medal table and is ranked first in the league for both contested marks and marks inside 50.

The 21-year-old on Sunday produced one of his most eye-catching performances yet, booting 4.2 from 15 disposals and nine marks (five contested) in the Dogs’ win over the West Coast Eagles.

Speaking on Fox Footy’s AFL 360, Maclure said Naughton was part of the new breed of taller, more “powerful and strong” AFL key forwards.

“It is extraordinary how big he is and how powerful he is. The bravery of the leap at times, just huge.

“For mine, he could take this side to Grand Final day and win it.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The ‘powerful’ 21yo beast that can lead the Western Bulldogs to a flag

I would be terrified as a defender if I had to play on Naughton. He's a chance in every single marking contest, he's quick off the mark and he hunts the ball when it hits the ground.
    "It's over. It's all over."

4. Likes Testekill, AshMac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He’s still strangely gettable one-on-one. May and Weitering have more or less blanketed him by keeping body contact with him, and even Henry had some success when accommodated by less than friendly delivery.

I think that we’re getting better at putting the ball in the space in front of Naughton rather than on his head though, which is what we should do every entry. It doesn’t really matter how the defenders are set up in front of him because if he gets any room to run and jump 95% of the time he will catch it.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

6. Likes 1eyedog, macca, WBFC4FFC, Dry Rot, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I would be terrified as a defender if I had to play on Naughton. He's a chance in every single marking contest, he's quick off the mark and he hunts the ball when it hits the ground.
    I would also be terrified playing forward in the same team.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

8. Likes EasternWest, Testekill, Mutz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Absolutely. It took Timmy a month to get over that fear. Every human is an opportunity for him to climb into and over it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

10. Likes Testekill, KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    He’s still strangely gettable one-on-one. May and Weitering have more or less blanketed him by keeping body contact with him, and even Henry had some success when accommodated by less than friendly delivery.

I think that we’re getting better at putting the ball in the space in front of Naughton rather than on his head though, which is what we should do every entry. It doesn’t really matter how the defenders are set up in front of him because if he gets any room to run and jump 95% of the time he will catch it.
    The thing that has propelled Naughton forward is his developed forward craft. He's getting on the lead often, which is what he needs to do against some of the better key defenders like May who simply can't go with him on the lead. We were dreadful v Melbourne but I thought he showed signs of handling May better than he did in the pre-season.

Henry was a good match up for Naughton in that he was quick enough on the lead and strong enough to body him 1-v-1, but it was a small sample size.

Ultimately Naughton is either too quick on the lead, too athletic or too strong for every key defender in the league so it's just a matter of adjusting his playing style depending on the game and his opponent.
    W00F!

12. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He still is only 21 (Weitering is 23, May is 29) and from his own words has only had one proper pre-season. Wait until he has had a couple more years in the gym and has developed his core strength as he will then have the ability to wrestle with you, out-run you and sit on your head... good luck dealing with that.

Post Thanks / Like

He is arguably our best pressure forward when the ball hits the deck too. His repeat work is what really sets him apart, he's always influencing the contest.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

15. Likes EasternWest, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I'm amazed defenders are still allowing him to run and jump at the ball.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Captain Insano shows no mercy.
    "It's over. It's all over."

18. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

20. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    He is arguably our best pressure forward when the ball hits the deck too. His repeat work is what really sets him apart, he's always influencing the contest.
    I actually don't think you need to argue that point.

The only player he'd be up against is Weightman.

Naughton is a freak of an athlete who can actually play football.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

22. Likes EasternWest, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Timmy was looking around very nervously in that contest!
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I love him!
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

How good's the Hunter block!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.