Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs post fourth straight significant profit

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Yes. On field performance will be a key to continued operating profits. There’s enough hope in the squad to hopefully see memberships at least remain flat, and if we have a good first month of the season, numbers should swell. Limited prime-time exposure will hurt our ability to grow sponsorship revenue, which is why Good Friday will obviously remain a strategic imperative. Get that and a better stadium deal and we’re doing well.

I think this off season has been handled much better than last. You could argue that Dahl was a more loved player than Stringer but much less was made of the move. Better handling of the PR, both positive and negative, will give the club a chance to sell hope for 2019 and make it believable.

A great effort by all involved in running the club. Keep it up.
    The full financial report mentioned that the drop off was largely due to 5000 free memberships no longer being given out.

So, if you factor in the +5000 freebies, we would have actually had a small amount of growth to our memberships this year (+593). Considering how terribly terrible we were in the opening two rounds and that the previous years figure was the one that followed the premiership, this is an amazing result.

FYI:

2013: 30209
    2014: 31538 (+4.4% = 1329)
    2015: 35222 (+11.7% = 3684)
    2016: 40032 (+13.7% = 4810)
    2017: 47653 (+19% = 7621)
    2018: 43246 (-9.2% = -4407) with the extra 5000 would have been 0.01% growth = +593

After navigating to different articles to find the figures, I found the following page that charts each club from 1984-2016 (ours are only available from 1992).

http://footyindustry.com/files/afl/m...2016_aug13.png

2. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think membership numbers are overly important. They can be manipulated in so many ways - the free memberships mentioned, 3 game memberships, etc.

To me the only thing that really matters is revenue from memberships and despite the overall great financial result our membership revenue was well down ($7,587,609 in 2018, down $881,880 from $8,469,489 in 2017). I guess this was to be expected with the year we had and the inevitable drop off after the premiership glow had faded.

Considering the significant downturn in membership and merchandise revenue from 2017 it is a great result to actually increase our ordinary profit.

Post Thanks / Like

Remember when we didn't know if we even have a club in a few years time. This is the absolute opposite. Such a great feeling to know that the club we all love is financially stable and secure. Absolute credit and kudos to all those that have help put us in this powerful position.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Remember when we didn't know if we even have a club in a few years time. This is the absolute opposite. Such a great feeling to know that the club we all love is financially stable and secure. Absolute credit and kudos to all those that have help put us in this powerful position.
    Totally agree.

Time to get the on-field stuff right again after a couple of crappy years, but full confidence that we are on the right track in that regard.

6. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    I recall back when Norf won their flags back in the 1990’s, my mate’s dad (Norf supporters) expressing a bit of a hollow feeling in that, even then, they felt that their club was in a precarious position. Indeed, in 1996 they were close to merger with Fitzroy and only a handful of years post 1999, they looked to be headed to the Gold Coast.

Although the past couple of years have been underwhelming for us on field, we can at least reflect on the flag with some sense of security.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I don't think membership numbers are overly important. They can be manipulated in so many ways - the free memberships mentioned, 3 game memberships, etc.

To me the only thing that really matters is revenue from memberships and despite the overall great financial result our membership revenue was well down ($7,587,609 in 2018, down $881,880 from $8,469,489 in 2017). I guess this was to be expected with the year we had and the inevitable drop off after the premiership glow had faded.

Considering the significant downturn in membership and merchandise revenue from 2017 it is a great result to actually increase our ordinary profit.
    Most likely membership revenue is down due to drop off in Social club upgrades and reserve seating.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Most likely membership revenue is down due to drop off in Social club upgrades and reserve seating.
    Yep and that's my point - the type of memberships sold (and the $$$ they generate) and far more important than the total numbers that the media love to talk about.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Gordon calls out Ledge saying people were yelling at him 'when are we going to get a bloody scoreboard?'

11. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another sport I know, but the contrast between us and Cronulla who won their first premiership in 2016 after 50 seasons in the NRL is unbelievable.

Unlike us, they have played finals in the two years since but their financial performance has been horrific. They apparently lost $3m this year and have been forced to engage in mass sackings of staff and are struggling on the sponsorship front.

Goes to show how well we have been managed off field since the premiership.

https://outline.com/J2dDW6

13. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And that's without any pokies unlike the family club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    And that's without any pokies unlike the family club.
    We've still got pokies but they are intending sell to them.
    Last edited by Axe Man; 30-11-2018 at 04:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post

Pet memberships.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Totally agree.

Time to get the on-field stuff right again after a couple of crappy years, but full confidence that we are on the right track in that regard.
    Almost beating Richmond with kindergarten kids. Wasn't too crappy.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

What a brilliant result for the footy club, with Ameet as CEO we seem to have fantastic stability at the top of the club. He and Peter Gordon should be commended, we are no longer a struggling football club. The significance is not lost on this bulldog!
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

19. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I think Gordon calls out Ledge saying people were yelling at him 'when are we going to get a bloody scoreboard?'
    At least he listens to the people and didn’t say you should be watching the footy not protesting ;-)
    Bring back the biff