Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  48
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Vs Essendon Round 7 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    That doesn't sound like a game plan issue to me. I doubt our coaches are instructing our forwards to get in each others way, or for players upfield to deliver the ball poorly to the guys inside 50.

Schache has consistently been inconsistent throughout his career to date. You saw Bruce more, because he works harder to stay involved. Schache needs to find a way to get involved even when he's not a viable target. He is far too meek at the moment and reactive.
    Bruce had 2 kicks in a whole game where he tried his best. He has only once had more than 3 kicks in a game with us.

Of course it is a game plan issue.

Too many handballs slow the game so 2 defenders can tag him, always bomb the ball to the same forward flank area, kick blindly over the shoulder, on it goes.

Smith is one of few who get the ball, hold the ball, get into space, look forward, and kick low. He should be the coaching team.

2. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Weightman to debut
    Good inclusion, hopefully he can provide a spark inside 50. I will settle for the equivalent of Rankine's debut last week.

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by bornadog; 15-07-2020 at 03:28 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Weightman a good inclusion.

How young are we going to be this week?
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Weightman a good inclusion.

How young are we going to be this week?
    If Butler comes out Crozier back in, then maybe average goes up.

What we Know:

In Crozier and Weightman

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Man is this horse still being flogged?

How will taking English away from the ruck and away from the excellent work he does around and behind the ball help us? He was good once again last week, was much better than Pittonet around the ground and roughly broke even in the ruck. He may offer something forward but I fail to see how it would outweigh how good he is whilst playing in the ruck as essentially an extra midfielder that pushes back to help the defence.

It's strange that Bevo has copped plenty of flak on here for seemingly playing players away from their best position, yet we keep on wanting to do exactly that with English.
    How will giving English free reign in the middle half of the ground restrict him in the slightest? Having him as a dominant force will be great for the team.

He was clearly beaten in the hitouts on Sunday, our guys struggled to clear the ball effectively. His best hitouts went to Carlton breakaways. Then he was given a break by Cordy who has had 4 hitouts this year. What a farce, treating an important feature of the game as an afterthought is painful to watch.

It is indisputable that over using English in the hitouts section of the game has helped our opponents for a long time . To deny this fact is to deny reality. On Sunday his ruck work in the centre contributed to a few of Carlton’s early goals. Let him concentrate on what he does best, and he will be great. He can spend time helping in the ruck. In fact, now is when his development plan should be introducing him to the ruck.

8. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Of course he's going to jump at the ball when it's kicked on his head. It's hard to see what is unfolding on the telly but I did not see one lead from him all match and if he's not going to lead at least create space by drawing Weitering out of the contest to provide opportunities for our smalls.

I mean maybe he was told pre-game just to create a contest and that would be enough but he's an experienced player (113 games 28 yo) and we should expect more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Bruce had 2 kicks in a whole game where he tried his best. He has only once had more than 3 kicks in a game with us.

Of course it is a game plan issue.

Too many handballs slow the game so 2 defenders can tag him, always bomb the ball to the same forward flank area, kick blindly over the shoulder, on it goes.

Smith is one of few who get the ball, hold the ball, get into space, look forward, and kick low. He should be the coaching team.
    Man, this has been a weird and sometimes frustrating season, but can I say I think this is the most I've enjoyed conversation and back and forth on WOOF in years.
    "It's over. It's all over."

10. Likes bornadog, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Man, this has been a weird and sometimes frustrating season, but can I say I think this is the most I've enjoyed conversation and back and forth on WOOF in years.
    I think we can all agree that WOOF is in a good place.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    How will giving English free reign in the middle half of the ground restrict him in the slightest? Having him as a dominant force will be great for the team.

He was clearly beaten in the hitouts on Sunday, our guys struggled to clear the ball effectively. His best hitouts went to Carlton breakaways. Then he was given a break by Cordy who has had 4 hitouts this year. What a farce, treating an important feature of the game as an afterthought is painful to watch.

It is indisputable that over using English in the hitouts section of the game has helped our opponents for a long time . To deny this fact is to deny reality. On Sunday his ruck work in the centre contributed to a few of Carlton’s early goals. Let him concentrate on what he does best, and he will be great. He can spend time helping in the ruck. In fact, now is when his development plan should be introducing him to the ruck.
    What is the middle half of the ground? A dominant force doing what? I don't understand your first paragraph.

How was he clearly beaten? Raw numbers were closer than usual and clearance and centre clearance numbers were pretty much even. I don't think anybody expects him to win this aspect at the moment but it is far from the only thing that a ruckman needs to be good at. Cordy attended 1 ruck contest out of 77 for the game, not sure that is worth worrying about.

Yes the opposition generally gets an advantage from hit outs from ruck contests. Whether that translates in to a real advantage in generating clearances is entirely disputable. What is also disputable is whether the advantage we gain through other aspects of Tim's game outweighs the perceived hitout loss. Obviously we will agree to disagree here.

It is very difficult to know who is at fault when a ruckman's hitout is sharked unless you are privy to the stoppage setup of being employed. It can just as easily be the midfielder in the wrong place as a misdirected hit out.

What he does best is being involved around the ball, drifting back and forward to use his marking power (more back). You have been pushing for him to play forward, how can he use his strengths to full effect there?

13. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been critical of Bevo's selection - but not of game plan.

Bruce, Schache and Dale having quiet games isn't to do with game plan, otherwise they wouldn't have kicked 9 between them the previous match.

The issue on the weekend, was an inexperienced side not adjusting to conditions and also not adjusting maturely to a team playing numbers behind the ball. We played on too much and used handball too much. We failed to adjust our defensive positioning to what was happening in the game and got caught out.

Its not a systemic issue, it is a team that showed some lack of experience on the night and tried to play exactly the way they had successfully done so the weekend before (and two before that) and failed to make the adjustments on the night.

I'm really confident that we will turn it around this week and beat Essendon handily.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I think we can all agree that WOOF is in a good place.
    Actually you and I are in the middle of a disagreement, so I disagree.
    "It's over. It's all over."

16. Likes soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The whole play Sweet and put English forward is just doing my head in
    Yeah I think Tim will get a rest in the squeezed fixture , but playing him and Sweet in the one team
    I wouldn’t think so
    Hit outs are the most overrated stat unless they’re to advantage , they are a useless stat .
    I think In this day and age playing young player’s isn’t a deterrent as it once was

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Yes the opposition generally gets an advantage from hit outs from ruck contests.
    I can never find the stat - Hitout to advantage. Do you know where this is recorded?

Edit: Found it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I've been critical of Bevo's selection - but not of game plan.

Bruce, Schache and Dale having quiet games isn't to do with game plan, otherwise they wouldn't have kicked 9 between them the previous match.

The issue on the weekend, was an inexperienced side not adjusting to conditions and also not adjusting maturely to a team playing numbers behind the ball. We played on too much and used handball too much. We failed to adjust our defensive positioning to what was happening in the game and got caught out.

Its not a systemic issue, it is a team that showed some lack of experience on the night and tried to play exactly the way they had successfully done so the weekend before (and two before that) and failed to make the adjustments on the night.

I'm really confident that we will turn it around this week and beat Essendon handily.
    Incredibly optimistic. We are 3/3, beaten probably 2 of the bottom 4 and GWS who we did apply the 110% the gameplay requires. Smashed in all other games. I find it really annoying that we are saying if Laitham had of kicked that goal it would've been different. I can't agree we were behind all game and lost by 50 points. Betts was laughing afterwards as they knew exactly how to unlock us, clearly they used the gameplan against us.. Unfortunately the game goes for four complete quarters and I have to say that was as bad as it gets despite the favourable stats.
    To be fair sometimes the other team is just better and the Blues were very very good.
    I'm certainly not saying throw out the gameplan. It can clearly work, however it needs some fine tuning and possibly in game calls that we don't have.
    Carlton flood our forward half. It's working. Call a play that controls the ball in the back half to suck their players out.

20. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I can never find the stat - Hitout to advantage. Do you know where this is recorded?
    You can find it in the AFL Stats page with some customisation. I can't be bothered going back and looking again but I think Pittonet had 11 and English 6.

What is a hitout to advantage though? If it's tapped directly to a player that is immediately tackled and dispossessed or there is another ball up, is that still to advantage? Bevo certainly doesn't agree with Champion Data's take on this stat.