Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  60
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nobody believes in us. Are they right?

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I would.

I think he's worth more than footy to the club that he's playing for. He might not be a generational footballer but he is a 'brand' the likes of which the AFL has pretty much never seen. Having him in Bulldogs colours is good for ALL of our sponsors which is good for the club...

You just cant buy stuff like that.
    Anna Kournikova or phwat.

Can't agree. He is simply not worth that much as a percentage of our cap. He had one really good finals series and since then has been nothing special. Now an ACL to go with it, 600-700 is what i'd be offering and I feel that's kind of generous.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Countrydog5 View Post
    I'm an eternal pessimist, and actually have us finishing maybe 10th this year on form. Like has been said, the teams performance for the last 3 years has really eroded my confidence in us making that leap into a real contender. I believe our issue is almost entirely between the ears, and our off season changes are unlikely drastic enough to really alter that for this season, no matter the individual performance of our guns.

I really believe our season hinges strongly on our first 4-6 weeks. If we perform well and get a roll on, we could do anything by building that belief that we belong at the top. If we struggle, I think we could really flop for the season, leading to my less than optimistic prediction. We should be going 4 and 1 to start the year at a minimum, and anything less will really put the pressure on.

I absolutely love the club and this team, and I want so badly for them to reach their massive potential. No matter what I will support them, but I can't help but feel our team is so dependent on good vibes that just one or 2 bad games can, and has, de-railed a season.
    Echoes my thoughts almost to a tee. I only differ a smidge in that the optimist in me thinks the off field changes might help trigger self belief, ability to respond to oppo run ons etc. Here?s hoping anyhow!! Time will tell.

3. Likes Countrydog5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Echoes my thoughts almost to a tee. I only differ a smidge in that the optimist in me thinks the off field changes might help trigger self belief, ability to respond to oppo run ons etc. Here?s hoping anyhow!! Time will tell.
    It's the off field changes that will make the biggest difference this year for me. Now whether or not we have got the right people to the club and everything clicks together, only time will tell.

As a comparison when Richmond looked like their finals run was over when they finished 13th or something in 2016, Hardwick was under pressure much like Bevo, but Richmond chose to stick with Hardwick and just replace a lot of his assistants. They won 3 of the next 4 flags. I think we are better placed list wise than Richmond were back then, so it's a wait and see if we can get a similar swing in performance as them with a similar type of behind the scenes shake up
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

5. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We are a pretty untrustworthy side to be honest. Unexplainable losses towards the end of the season happens far more often than it should.

Post Thanks / Like

I was hoping we?d cash in last trade period, so I definitely wouldn?t be offering anything substantial to Baz. Let him take a deal elsewhere and use the picks to upgrade the holes in our list.

8. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I was hoping we?d cash in last trade period, so I definitely wouldn?t be offering anything substantial to Baz. Let him take a deal elsewhere and use the picks to upgrade the holes in our list.
    Out of contract and coming off a knee reco. What "picks" are you thinking we're gonna get?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Out of contract and coming off a knee reco. What "picks" are you thinking we're gonna get?
    Smith still has massive currency due to his age, off-field marketability and the elite ceiling he has shown (particularly in finals) previously. The currency is not infinite, but right now it is still sky high.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Are ALL the pundits right? Wrong?

"40 sets of football media tips about AFL 2024 on show during the past week, less than half (just 19) of them fancied the Bulldogs to even reach the final eight, much less win a premiership."

From ESPN Article
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Likes Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We need to be trusted again, we have lost everyone's trust especially after the end of last season, if i wasn't a passionate Dogs supporter, there is no way known i'd believe in the Dogs, like i don't believe in Essendon or Freo or North etc, we need to be trusted again before people start believing in us.

Us as passionate supporters pretty much know the in's and out's of the club, every little detail in what we recruited, the coaching turnaround, the players burning up the track over pre-season, the difference between training out at Skinners last year to back at home this year with new facilities, the fact we had quite a few players with next to no pre season's last year etc etc so we have reason to be optimistic, add that to the automatic hope we have this time of the year like all supporters.

14. Likes CarnTheScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    "40 sets of football media tips about AFL 2024 on show during the past week, less than half (just 19) of them fancied the Bulldogs to even reach the final eight, much less win a premiership."

From ESPN Article
    That was my impression hence the thread...

Routinely picked to finish 10th and below. There's a real stink on us because we have a group of players supporters of other clubs genuinely admire/respect.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

That was my impression hence the thread...

Routinely picked to finish 10th and below. There's a real stink on us because we have a group of players supporters of other clubs genuinely admire/respect.
    I can never remember ever, Journos picking us for top 4
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I can never remember ever, Journos picking us for top 4
    Pretty sure plenty were picking us for the top 4 when we were finishing in the top 4 from 2008-10. Well not in 2008 as it was a surprise but from 2009-11.

Almost everybody would have had us finishing top 4 in 2017, that's probably where the trust issues stem from.

Post Thanks / Like

From ESPN Article
    Particularly good news. You can be absolutely certain that the conclusions of a majority of media figures will always be dead wrong. Not only wrong, but the exact opposite of what will actually happen.

Exactly what you want to see in the media because no sane person has any trust in the media.

Bevo confidimus!

19. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah look I know I should probably have a whole lot of trepidation coming into the season, given our past issues, but I genuinely remain very upbeat about the direction of the club, and our prospects this year. I really think we're going to surprise quite a few pundits and fans alike.

Even the club produced behind the scene's type short video released today or yesterday reaffirms what I already knew. It's a well run club, with a very professional set of connected strategic and operational programs in place that flow down to the tiniest details, not to mention highly qualified and motivated staff.

This was evident from the discussion in the above mentioned club produced player development video about having a Bulldog's dictionary that is connected to different digital learning packages to make it easier for new players to quickly adopt and come to grips with he club IP, game plan, game situation expectations and roles and philosophy.

This should really produce some longer term benefits in helping speed up new players transition to what is required at Bulldogs AFL footy level.

Irrespective of what happens in the first round or two, I think we will have a top 4 season. I know, I'm a lunatic. But I just think the review and subsequent changes as well as the return to Whitten Oval this pre-season just might take the air out of the collective pressure the group has felt. Whether its a burden of unrealised expectations, I don't know, but I'm really hopeful we'll see a new breed emerge this season.

Just the arrival of Sanders and some nice showings from JUH, Dacy, Richards and Naughton this pre season give me confidence there is a new ceiling we can reach this year with impetus from the younger tier. This will finally spread the burden that our Skipper has largely tried to bare on his shoulders these last few years.

If others step up as I describe above it could even have the potential affect of helping Bontempelli reach another level again.

21. Likes jeemak, Uninformed, mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't remember a season that had so much riding it on it for so many at the club, so many potential story lines we are in the gun with the media they will be coming at us thick and fast if things go south quickly. One things for sure woof is going to be a very interesting place I kinda think like the side it will be on edge also, let's hope we can all keep it together but there is no doubt there is an underlying feeling of frustration with our last 2 years.

Happily say its the most talented group we have ever had but I've still got some serious concerns with our ability to defend, intercept and rebound from D50 while as we saw last week, continue to rely too much on Bont and Libba to get us going.

I think the Melbourne game will tell us a lot. I think we will make the 8( the hardest 8 to make ever?) but until we beat a legitimate contender like the players I will be more hoping than believing.