Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  22
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs coach says league overreacted to Clarkson rant

The AFL is always jerking with the rules. One unlucky broken leg and straight away we see the Voss's and Cross's strength and determination to win the football go out the window.
    An inventive way to clear congestion from a ruck stoppage and just helps win a team a final and it's outlawed.
    The only problem with the game today is the AFL.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    This all bodes well for an extra edge when we meet the horrible hawks. Clarkson wouldn't like one of his ex-deputies speaking out against his views.
    I don't think he did though. It was more a shot at the AFL quickly looking for a change to the rules because of Clarkson's issues on that day.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree 100% with Bevo in relation to the ham-fisted process of changing the HTB interpretation - embarrassing that a professional competition changes a rule mid stream off the back of one coach complaining. But I disagree 100% with him on the actual rule change, as it has been desperately needed to help alleviate the awful congestion problems as a result of players being coached to hatch the ball and take the tackle.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    as a result of players being coached to hatch the ball and take the tackle.
    In the past if players knew they were going to be tackled, they wouldn't take possession, but rather paddle the ball along or fist it forward if the ball was in the air. How many times have we seen players grab the ball and then anticipate the tackle to get a stoppage.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Clarkson slams the game and by extension the AFL and rather than get a ‘please explain’ letter from the AFL like so many others would, Clarkson actually gets rewarded with what he demanded from them.

Is it any wonder that those that don’t get equal treatment or a hearing feel a desperation at times to speak out.

A billion dollar industry where this mob have no idea how to positively affect the look of the game other than making it nigh on impossible for the umpires to adjudicate the game fairly.

7. Likes bornadog, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    In the past if players knew they were going to be tackled, they wouldn't take possession, but rather paddle the ball along or fist it forward if the ball was in the air. How many times have we seen players grab the ball and then anticipate the tackle to get a stoppage.
    Or get spun 360 or even 720 degrees by the tackler while looking for an option to release while the umpire stands there looking. It happened a couple of times on the weekend.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Or quickly handpass to a team mate under pressure to reset the prior opportunity. They get tackled immediately and it's a stoppage.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that slows the game down is rewarding short 10m kicks as a mark, rather than calling it as a play on like it should be.

Interestingly, Hawthorn relies on short precision kicking to maintain possession but Clarkson was strangely quiet on that one
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

11. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    One thing that slows the game down is rewarding short 10m kicks as a mark, rather than calling it as a play on like it should be.

Interestingly, Hawthorn relies on short precision kicking to maintain possession but Clarkson was strangely quiet on that one
    I felt that day he was seriously deflecting after the Hawks were completely overrun by North in the last quarter. Every wall in that coaches box was fearful as he sat there twisting and contorting every time something went against them; I’m sure he will have a blood pressure related event one of these days during a game. He threw the toys out of the cot, and the AFL soothed him with appeasement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post

Clarkson should hardly be on some pedestal for promoting the spectacle of the game. It’s about what is most likely to give him success with what he has at his disposal.

Hawthorn and Clarkson were the Team who initiated the tactic of deliberately rushing behinds to force stoppages and a reset from defence. It was a blight on the game at the time. From memory there was something like 10 deliberate rushed behinds by Hawthorn in the 2008 Grand Final.

14. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Clarkson should hardly be on some pedestal for promoting the spectacle of the game. It’s about what is most likely to give him success with what he has at his disposal.

Hawthorn and Clarkson were the Team who initiated the tactic of deliberately rushing behinds to force stoppages and a reset from defence. It was a blight on the game at the time. From memory there was something like 10 deliberate rushed behinds by Hawthorn in the 2008 Grand Final.
    He also played the biggest role in the zone defence which has eliminated positional play. And coaches what I think has been the most UN-watchable team of the past 4 seasons. Sure, they find a way to win games and either develop or recruit high footy-IQ players to carry out their game plan well - but it is absolutely painstaking to watch them set up behind the ball and chipping it around when they have it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Ha just as I mentioned Clarko's comments re our 2016 semi against them, he brings it up again today. I don't think he has gotten over us knocking them off:

"If I was a significant influence then things would have changed (four) years ago when I spoke after the Western Bulldogs final," Clarkson said.

"Nothing's changed since then. If it has changed a little bit in the past week, I'm hoping it's for the betterment of the game and not necessarily just for the betterment of the Hawks. I hope people can see through that and see it's ... for the betterment of the game because I think the game will open up a little bit more if the whistle is blown just a little bit more."
    Apparently Hawthorn laid 102 tackles that night and won only 3 HTB free kicks.

It had nothing to do with not 'rewarding the tackler' and was instead:

1. Testament to the 'Handball Club' and our ability in-close.
    2. An indictment on their ability to win the ball in the 3rd quarter. We almost doubled their disposal count.

17. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Clarko is just pissed that his current refresh strategy, rather then rebuild wont get him a premiership.

The question I have is the current strategy best for the Hawks? Or is is best for Clarko?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Clarko is just pissed that his current refresh strategy, rather then rebuild wont get him a premiership.

The question I have is the current strategy best for the Hawks? Or is is best for Clarko?
    10 players with over 150 games
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

On the topic of coaches wanting things without thinking them through, Hardwick was calling for 6-8 players on the bench again today.

It seems stupid to me. You would have heaps of players with such low TOG that they can't impact the game, and would cool down during their stints on the bench.

If anything the current interchange limit should be reduced (in line with the quarter length reduction), encouraging player fatigue which will limit the ability to zone effectively. This will then make it easier for teams to break through the zone, as an attacking game will have more space to lead/kick into regardless of their own fatigue.

21. Likes Twodogs liked this post