Thanks Thanks:  32
Likes Likes:  80
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 16 V Brisbane At The GABBA On Thursday Night

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I'm literally exhausted by the club continually dishing up this sort of stuff."I didn't know" is such a crap excuse. Are you trying to tell me there was no itinerary for the trip OR that it hadn't been shared with the senior coach??Yep - we have been in Queensland a bit over the past couple of seasons with hubs and finals and what not, but going forward it will be a once every season thing AT BEST. You would think 'WE' (the club) would want to foster good relationships with what is an already disconnected supporter group. How hard is it???
    Agreed. The club invited supporters to the open training session so they would have known. Bevo spinning it like one of his press conferences.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 16 V Brisbane At The GABBA On Thursday Night

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post

Thankfully, after the light run, the players and Bevo were very good with their time and interaction with all the fans. The group were fantastic, and the entire group were really proactive in ensuring every kid, adult were given some time.
    From what I can tell after games we win the players are extremely generous with the fans.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

On a different side, gee, you notice how much the soft cap restrictions bite when one you see how much of the little things the coaching staff do. Rohan Smith running drills and talking to the players one minute then walking around picking up plastic cones and packing up equipment. No different to how we run Auskick & jnr training at my son's footy club.
    Well...if you're smart, you get the players to bring the cones in after each drill...you can even make a game out of it AND run a daily points total. Any Auskick/junior coach who picks up a single marker simply lacks imagination!

At AFL level, I don't think an assistant coach (or even senior coach) picking up cones is a bad thing or representative of the soft cap. Sure - a couple of extra hands on deck at every training session would be great in terms of ACTUAL COACHING, but whether Bevo or the 'development coach yet to be named' picks up the markers, I don't think it's a big deal. It is also a great opportunity to wander along with a player and have a one-on-one chat: "come and walk with me whilst I grab these markers" is an EASY way to get some time with a player away from the rest of the group.

I still think the limits of the soft cap should be seen as an opportunity for innovation rather than a threat. I have said this before but 'PICK' what area you want to be EXCELLENT in and emphasise that...you don't have unlimited resources and therefore you can't do everything. So DON'T. Anyway, I am out of step with many people on this...to me, there is a reason why smaller organisations with less cash and less resources are able to take on multi-nationals and win in multiple injuries - they HAVE to pick their lane (they don't have the bodies or the cash to fight in every arena) and become EXCELLENT at what they do. Where things go wrong? Too big, try to do too much, burdened by systems and process...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

4. Likes Smads57, soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    As a Melbourne based member I also feel the most disconnected from the club I have been in all my years supporting the club. I’m not really too sure where to from here and I only live a suburb or two from the ground.
    Why is that?

What do you expect the club to do?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    In two weeks we have lost three short/mid sized defenders in Caleb, Richards and Doc. That’s hard to cover.
    Yes Angelo I was thinking the same thing last night. Williams and Scott look like they might have to play back. From what seemed dozen of half backs available we are now short.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Why is that?

Here's an idea.

They called me about the raffle last week or the week before. I buy tix every year and they are a couple of hundred bucks each. No stress. Anyway, my wallet was in my car, they weren't allowed to charge my credit card on file for membership (fine - whatever) so I said - no worries...call me back tomorrow and I'll pay over the phone then. Of course they tell me, no problems sir.

I'll wait. I suspect I'll wait forever. So now I feel disgruntled about not being able to give them money for a raffle I'm wasn't going to win anyway.

I know what you're saying BAD but there are pages of posts on this site about how and why we feel member engagement has declined in recent seasons.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an idea.

They called me about the raffle last week or the week before. I buy tix every year and they are a couple of hundred bucks each. No stress. Anyway, my wallet was in my car, they weren't allowed to charge my credit card on file for membership (fine - whatever) so I said - no worries...call me back tomorrow and I'll pay over the phone then. Of course they tell me, no problems sir.

I'll wait. I suspect I'll wait forever. So now I feel disgruntled about not being able to give them money for a raffle I'm wasn't going to win anyway.

I know what you're saying BAD but there are pages of posts on this site about how and why we feel member engagement has declined in recent seasons.
    I was just wondering why Azabob feels that way, and what does he expect. We all have different expectations, and it is good to compare.

On the raffle. I normally get a call every year, but haven't been contacted at all this year, so not sure what it going on there.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I was just wondering why Azabob feels that way, and what does he expect. We all have different expectations, and it is good to compare.

On the raffle. I normally get a call every year, but haven't been contacted at all this year, so not sure what it going on there.
    I think they outsource the raffle from memory to another mob. Maybe they hired a cheaper more useless one!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    Agreed. The club invited supporters to the open training session so they would have known. Bevo spinning it like one of his press conferences.
    There wasn't any Bevo spin. Apologies if my post made it seem that way. He did seem to be affected when he heard how long we were waiting, but immediately told us to blame him, and he apologised.

11. Likes Bulldog4life, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why is that?

For one thing I'd like the club to send me my membership pack... I've rang them 4 times to enquire where it is and it still hasn't been received. I've given up on it now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    For one thing I'd like the club to send me my membership pack... I've rang them 4 times to enquire where it is and it still hasn't been received. I've given up on it now.
    That's really really poor, again probably an outsourced function that's done on the cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    That's really really poor, again probably an outsourced function that's done on the cheap.
    I reckon AFL house have sub contracted all this stuff out on behalf of the clubs.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

15. Likes Grantysghost, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

...and he apologised.
    Don't be sorry.
    Be Better.

I'm being a bit harsh now I know but we just see the same stuff dished up with regards making members feel they are important. Closed training sessions etc etc.

Yep - I'm still bitter after getting in trouble for chatting to Josh Schache at an admittedly closed training session last year...but I went to NZ and America with him on AIS trips - he was just saying hello...and the closed session happened to be at a ground where I happen to work...

17. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't be sorry.
    Be Better.

I'm being a bit harsh now I know but we just see the same stuff dished up with regards making members feel they are important. Closed training sessions etc etc.

Yep - I'm still bitter after getting in trouble for chatting to Josh Schache at an admittedly closed training session last year...but I went to NZ and America with him on AIS trips - he was just saying hello...and the closed session happened to be at a ground where I happen to work...
    Tell us more MJP.

Post Thanks / Like

While it seems an overreaction I can see why a closed training session is treated seriously.
    I'd question if we have needed so many sessions that lock away supporters but that's not an argument that can be won.

Surely a quick chat to the player to clarify would have been in order but it's one of those fine lines that could have been avoided with some basic communication.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"