Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  35
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moment: Elimination Final, 2020 vs St Kilda

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    If the coaching group doesn’t select the players traded in, does it not make the trading strategy a failure.
    The trading strategy can be brilliant and the coaching group can be a failure.

Look at drafting Williams. I couldn’t believe how talented he was when he started playing. He was getting over 20 possessions every week, and obviously going to be a star. Think of a Richards x2. Then couldn’t get a game.

Look at Young. His 1st ten game stats are double Gardner’s in every category. He can’t get a game.

Talent and getting a game at the Dogs are not mutually exclusive, quite.

Looking at our recent record, if you were outside the club would you be interested in playing there?

I’m more concerned about keeping the talent we have, because if the last 4 seasons are any indication some will see an incentive to leave.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    The trading strategy can be brilliant and the coaching group can be a failure.

Look at drafting Williams. I couldn’t believe how talented he was when he started playing. He was getting over 20 possessions every week, and obviously going to be a star. Think of a Richards x2. Then couldn’t get a game.

Look at Young. His 1st ten game stats are double Gardner’s in every category. He can’t get a game.

Talent and getting a game at the Dogs are not mutually exclusive, quite.

Looking at our recent record, if you were outside the club would you be interested in playing there?

I’m more concerned about keeping the talent we have, because if the last 4 seasons are any indication some will see an incentive to leave.
    Hmmm. You raise a point. Even Lloyd and Gowers has great first years with us. Although their form at other clubs wasn’t fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Hmmm. You raise a point. Even Lloyd and Gowers has great first years with us. Although their form at other clubs wasn’t fantastic.
    You raise a good point too.

In 2018 Gowers was our leading goal kicker. He was the most reliable thing about the team in a season that was pure garbage. I think we languished in the bottom 4 all year. But he kicked goals in almost every game.

Then he comes out in 2019 and his instructions were obviously to ‘crash the pack ‘. What use was he? None. Who’s been given that role in 2020? Bruce. What use is he? None.

The more I think about it the more certain I am that our trajectory is not necessarily upwards. Falling into 1 final is a bonus.
    The thrashings by lowly teams is now in our DNA. Talent is irrelevant, that’s easily discarded.

4. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    According to inside the club, we are also looking at another Key defender.
    Thank god for that

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bevo’s presser, I didn’t pick up that he suggested Tim would leave. My take on his comment was he didn’t see the point bringing someone in who wants to leave cause they aren’t getting enough opportunities in the ruck, only to have them as our 2nd ruck.

So English is our #1 ruck and at best we’ll get support... but it prevents the Dunkley/Bruce rucking rather than much else.

Also, Bevo said something about our fwd line being a man down every week. He said it twice. What was he on about there?

7. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I thought that was weird too Mr M, especially as we were overstocked with CHB’s. Was it recognition of not have a pressure small forward? Cannot believe it was a kind of swipe at Bruce seeing as Bevo decided to play him every week despite Bruce struggling.

Post Thanks / Like

Trying to build an argument for our trading record using Lloyd and Suckling is akin to building a house on very shaky ground.
    Did i say that? Show me where?

I was pointing out the two players that have done well from your list.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Also, Bevo said something about our fwd line being a man down every week. He said it twice. What was he on about there?
    A man down by choice is what he meant, I believe. We choose to play five forward of the ball rather than six, to enable an extra mid/defender so I think he said something like 'usually they make up the numbers with their endeavour'.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

11. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    A man down by choice is what he meant, I believe. We choose to play five forward of the ball rather than six, to enable an extra mid/defender so I think he said something like 'usually they make up the numbers with their endeavour'.
    Correct. We play seven either mid or back.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

You look at the Saints at the sort of impact their traded in players have had: Steele, Ryder, Butler, Jones, Carlisle, Howard, even Hannebury was influential.

Then you look at ours: Keath has been great so far, Crozier has been a definite win and Duryea is solid, but beyond that you have Schache, Trengove, Bruce, Lloyd & Suckling that are all chewing up decent salary and this year have given us absolutely nothing.

Our trading has been a complete failure since 2016 and is probably a big factor as to why we're treading water.
    It's not like we haven't tried: Hurley, Jack Martin, Isaac Smith, Wingard.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    It's not like we haven't tried: Hurley, Jack Martin, Isaac Smith, Wingard.
    Tried and failed.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I was pointing out the two players that have done well from your list.
    Why?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Correct. We play seven either mid or back.
    From what I can gather we love to have 7 back and at stoppages roll a defender to try and out number the opposition at the contest.

This is a choice, is it game plan driven or personal driven?

If for example Naughton goes back would we need 7 in defense? Or can we trust the back 6 and play with 6 in the forward line and a player in the forward line such as Vandemeer roll up to the midfield stoppage to create that extra number if we want?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still too angry to comment properly other than to say our tackling was disgraceful for the entire match.

Stats will have us down as something like 50 tackles but lucky if 10 of them stuck.

We only started in the last qtr.

Post Thanks / Like

Watched the replay. I thought initially our effort was up, but you are correct. The tackling was really substandard. So many times they managed to get rid of the footy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I'm still too angry to comment properly other than to say our tackling was disgraceful for the entire match.

Stats will have us down as something like 50 tackles but lucky if 10 of them stuck.

We only started in the last qtr.