Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  15
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 'Pissed off' Schache wants to silence doubters

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I hate the off season so much.
    But but, there are so many heroes and teams that will be top 4 and recruited so brilliantly - 18 premiers.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    But but, there are so many heroes and teams that will be top 4 and recruited so brilliantly - 18 premiers.
    Shaun Higgins is flying in pre season training too.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

3. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Shaun Higgins is flying in pre season training too.
    From Stevos twitter today.

“Positive signs for Ben Jacobs, sharp in first half for Kangas. Shaun Higgins always looks good pre-season, but may have found new level”
    More of an In Bruges guy?

5. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a reason that there's been doubts, mostly because, despite his lofty draft status, he's shown 2/5ths of nothing as an AFL footballer.

Man, you're getting more and more like Grouchy Smurf every post.

His trade position pretty much reflected his value, give or take five or so positions. A reasonable person knows he's 3-5 years away in terms of development at least, I can't see our supporter base being that patient, but our supporter base isn't reasonable.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

There's a reason that there's been doubts, mostly because, despite his lofty draft status, he's shown 2/5ths of nothing as an AFL footballer.

As much as I want to and am hopeful with Schache, this is no doubt accurate at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Man, you're getting more and more like Grouchy Smurf every post.

His trade position pretty much reflected his value, give or take five or so positions. A reasonable person knows he's 3-5 years away in terms of development at least, I can't see our supporter base being that patient, but our supporter base isn't reasonable.
    We may not be reasonable but we are patient. A lack of patience is one thing you can't accuse us of.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I see 2018 as another development year for Schache but I question why there is so much doubt with him. He's already had 27 games experience at the senior level and I don't think a lack of intensity is something we can't remedy. We will use him forward and in the ruck and he will now have to work for his opportunities.
    I genuinely think this is a good position for both the player and club.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I see 2018 as another development year for Schache but I question why there is so much doubt with him. He's already had 27 games experience at the senior level and I don't think a lack of intensity is something we can't remedy. We will use him forward and in the ruck and he will now have to work for his opportunities.
    I genuinely think this is a good position for both the player and club.

This situation can turn into a win/win. A win for us and a win for Josh. (BTW win/win is impossible-if somebody tells you that "this is a win/win situation" then beware because they are lying to you, for every winner there has to be a loser, but Brisbane and Essendon are the losers in this situation so it's party time) if things turn out our way just a little bit. It's not like there are lots of moving parts to put together to make this a success.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't understand how people can say he's shown nothing at AFL level. In two seasons as a key forward he's managed to play 27 games and kicked 25 goals. That's well above average for his age and position.

To put it into perspective after two seasons Josh Kennedy had played 22 games and kicked 11 goals as a number 4 pick and Joe Daniher had played 26 games and kicked 31 goals as the nominal number 1 pick. And neither player had relocated interstate.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

12. Likes Bulldog4life, Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I can't understand how people can say he's shown nothing at AFL level. In two seasons as a key forward he's managed to play 27 games and kicked 25 goals. That's well above average for his age and position.

To put it into perspective after two seasons Josh Kennedy had played 22 games and kicked 11 goals as a number 4 pick and Joe Daniher had played 26 games and kicked 31 goals as the nominal number 1 pick. And neither player had relocated interstate.
    It's good points you raise. The other good point is that he has already done a bit and gained some experience but he also still has a lot to prove and seems to be determined to get there.
    If he does the work and lifts his intensity we should start to see the type of player we hope he can be.

He has the athletic tools to be a unique player and with some quality coaching we should be able to see him improve.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Good points. It's an accepted fact that big guys take longer to develop than small guys. 27 games and 25 goals are an excellent return for a 20 year old in his 2 seasons. Especially 2 seasons where everyone has been on his back, he was a continent away from a family he is very close with to go along with all the other troubles he would encounter just fitting into a club and a career.

I'm not saying he will play like Royce Hart this year but he won't be Andrew MacDougall (sorry Rocco) either. He'll play more games than he"ll miss and if he can steer 25-30 goals through the sticks then he will be more than a handy replacement for Stringer.

That's really who's output we are looking for him to replicate on the field and I think he can do it.

Post Thanks / Like

The few times I saw Schache play with the Lions he was quite good. He showed a lot of promise. I am very happy with him being with us this year and beyond.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    The few times I saw Schache play with the Lions he was quite good. He showed a lot of promise. I am very happy with him being with us this year and beyond.

I must have caught all of his good games and missed all the crap ones too. I've only ever seen him at the (actually he is a little ahead in development compared to your average KPD IMO) stage you'd expect a tall KPD to be at. Hes a little clumsy but he's a big kid, they are awkward and fall over a lot but they get over it.

Post Thanks / Like

To put it into perspective after two seasons Josh Kennedy had played 22 games and kicked 11 goals as a number 4 pick ...And neither player had relocated interstate.
    You make good points but Kennedy started off playing with Carlton - pretty sure that is interstate for a WA boy! Let the record show he wanted to STAY at Carlton and his initial refusal to move nearly held up the Judd deal.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    You make good points but Kennedy started off playing with Carlton - pretty sure that is interstate for a WA boy! Let the record show he wanted to STAY at Carlton and his initial refusal to move nearly held up the Judd deal.

I wonder if Carlton had the opportunity to go back and unpick that deal and keep Kennedy and their #3 (maston?) if they would?