Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  103
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Sydney Swans R3 2022

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    We were rubbish first 2 weeks. Sydney were fantastic.
    I'm not sure either of those things are true.

Geelong kicked themselves out of it last week. Our effort has been pretty good.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I'm not sure either of those things are true.

Geelong kicked themselves out of it last week. Our effort has been pretty good.
    Maybe…our effort might have been ok, but I honestly thought our team work was pretty poor.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Maybe…our effort might have been ok, but I honestly thought our team work was pretty poor.
    Fair. I'm battling a bit with the negativity to be truthful. I didn't want to go 0-2 and 100% didn't want to lose to either of Melbourne or Carlton but all I want (well, maybe not ALL!!) is effort. I thought we 100% fought it out both weeks and but for some pretty poor kicking at goal vs Carlton could easily have pinched it. The Swans were great in R1 but then the Giants got rolled again in R2...so how good were they REALLY? Then they were kissed by the goal kicking gods (at both ends) vs Geelong and that's 2-0.

I hate the Wednesday and Thursday night games (and Fridays for that matter) as I can never watch them live due to work/footy commitments...so I end up watching them after receiving 200000 text messages about the game. Then I watch them expecting the worst only to watch the players trying pretty hard and - for the most part, succeeding.

I don't mean to single out your post btw - which is on the low end of things - but it feels like we can't even celebrate a great performance like the one last night without criticising everything. Yep, Naughton has to kick straighter. But this has been an ongoing issue and I kinda thing unless he goes all Giannis on us and totally dedicates himself to correcting this deficiency (the way the Bucks centre has just 'fixed' his free throws this year) then it is going to be 'him' for the next 10 years. Not ideal I know but ultimately as a supporter I would take the bad to get the good! Anyway, I'm rambling now.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

4. Thanks Yankee Hotel Foxtrot thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    To be fair, I caught the train to the Grand Final and that wasn't great.
    I guess the trip home is awful from no matter where you are from home when you lose
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Have only managed to watch a half of the game, and while it's presented as a frustrating encounter we seriously had our team defencive mindset in tune which is great to see.

Agree with the comments around Marra, to half time he was clearly up for the contest and having a massive crack which is great to see.

English has also been immense all over the ground.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I was at the ground and couldn't really have been happier. The two-way running, which has been missing for weeks, was back with a vengeance, and the tackling pressure was immediately apparent. The Swans only got moving when we missed a tackle and if we'd played like that against Melbourne it would have absolutely shut them down.

The way we defended was glorious, and so many obviously good efforts from so many players - Keath, Marra, Dunkley chief among them, but Bont, Hunter, Dale, Treloar, even Gardner were all just even contributors.

Honestly if we'd been playing this sort of game for the last three weeks I wouldn't have rued the results no matter which way they fell. Here's to a few entertaining weeks.

8. Thanks angelopetraglia thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    I was at the ground and couldn't really have been happier. The two-way running, which has been missing for weeks, was back with a vengeance, and the tackling pressure was immediately apparent. The Swans only got moving when we missed a tackle and if we'd played like that against Melbourne it would have absolutely shut them down.

The way we defended was glorious, and so many obviously good efforts from so many players - Keath, Marra, Dunkley chief among them, but Bont, Hunter, Dale, Treloar, even Gardner were all just even contributors.

Honestly if we'd been playing this sort of game for the last three weeks I wouldn't have rued the results no matter which way they fell. Here's to a few entertaining weeks.
    Love it Boots.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Finished watching the game and it was pleasing to see us weather the storm with Sydney coming at us after a bit of a lift in intensity post half time.

Dale was immense with his kicking and stability off half back, I'm so happy to see him be the player his talent suggested he could and also see him becoming a bit more solid in elements of his defencive game.

It was a very structured and strategic encounter, and it was great to see us counter Sydney's chip and spread game with a team defence mindset enabling angles to be cut off and space to be tightened - which we failed miserably to do last year.

We really miss Josh Bruce, and being able to adapt to his absence in the last part of 2021 was on reflection unbelievable from our coaches and playing group. Our finals series has given teams insight into how to constrain our forward movement without him, and we will need to keep working our arses off to keep ahead of defencive structures.

Realistically it should have been a six or seven goal win, but given our start to the year I'm happy with the four points and some momentum going into this week's game against Richmond.

11. Likes GVGjr, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Finished watching the game and it was pleasing to see us weather the storm with Sydney coming at us after a bit of a lift in intensity post half time.

Dale was immense with his kicking and stability off half back, I'm so happy to see him be the player his talent suggested he could and also see him becoming a bit more solid in elements of his defencive game.

It was a very structured and strategic encounter, and it was great to see us counter Sydney's chip and spread game with a team defence mindset enabling angles to be cut off and space to be tightened - which we failed miserably to do last year.

We really miss Josh Bruce, and being able to adapt to his absence in the last part of 2021 was on reflection unbelievable from our coaches and playing group. Our finals series has given teams insight into how to constrain our forward movement without him, and we will need to keep working our arses off to keep ahead of defencive structures.

Realistically it should have been a six or seven goal win, but given our start to the year I'm happy with the four points and some momentum going into this week's game against Richmond.
    Great summary, the close result didn't reflect how well we played. We will play a lot worse but win by more through the season.
    I would have been happy with a 20 point plus result.

Our defenders did well especially Keath, Gardner and Dale.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Dale was immense with his kicking and stability off half back, I'm so happy to see him be the player his talent suggested he could.
    He should need a licence to carry that weapon at the end of his leg.
    "It's over. It's all over."

14. Likes Testekill, Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Man if he gets the ball anywhere even near goals they might as well just take it back to the centre. If Bont is the best kick in the world then Dale is no worse than second.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Man if he gets the ball anywhere even near goals they might as well just take it back to the centre. If Bont is the best kick in the world then Dale is no worse than second.
    Two guys who just hit the shit out of it and move it flat and quick. It's not always perfect but it's direct, and that sort of kick takes complication out of the equation because the ball's all of a sudden there and in play before defenders can adjust to it.

17. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Two guys who just hit the shit out of it and move it flat and quick. It's not always perfect but it's direct, and that sort of kick takes complication out of the equation because the ball's all of a sudden there and in play before defenders can adjust to it.
    As a team we need more players that can kick low bullets.

Post Thanks / Like

Coaches Votes

Round 3 votes – Western Bulldogs v Sydney

10 – Tim English (WB)
    7 – Bailey Smith
    6 – Josh Dunkley
    3 – Adam Treloar
    2 – Ryan Gardner
    1 – Cody Weightman
    1 – Bailey Dale
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

20. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Coaches Votes

Round 3 votes – Western Bulldogs v Sydney

10 – Tim English (WB)
    7 – Bailey Smith
    6 – Josh Dunkley
    3 – Adam Treloar
    2 – Ryan Gardner
    1 – Cody Weightman
    1 – Bailey Dale
    Don't think the Bont has polled a vote yet. Slow start for him.