Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Round 1 2008 Player Focus: Dale Morris

With Williams, Everritt and possibly Lake out, this week's player focus is on Dale Morris who will effectively be leading the backline against the Crows.

Over recent seasons Morris (and Hargrave) remind me of Kretuik ie having to take a much bigger and quality forward each week. At the start of this season, he'll probably have to do it again.

There's no doubting Morris's courage, but he can be beaten overhead and his disposal isn't the best but pound for pound the ability of Morris to shut down a variety of opponents both small and tall is invaluable to the team.

In a team short on hard it competitive defenders, the jack of all trades Morris shapes as almost the key player this week.

Thoughts?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round 1 2008 Player Focus: Dale Morris

Fully agree that Morris will be given a key assignment this week and therefore his ability to do the job asked is critical for us.

He is a no nonsense player and one that we will expect to lock down a key opponent each week.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

The backline will be under the pump so Morris will be a key player, but needs plenty of help from such as Gilbee and Griffen as well as Hargrave. These guys have got to be tight as tight and team up well.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, he's going to need a big game. McDougall too will have to stand up and really play a great game as a tall defender.

Who is Morris' best match up do you think?

Post Thanks / Like

McDougall for Tippett.
    I suspect we will have no option but to match Morris up against Burton.

That said. I still think the best thing to do with Morris will be to play him against Macleod and shut him out of the game. If Macleod touches it 25 times, we will lose. Burton might kick 8 - but he might kick 1. An unattended Macleod will get it 25 times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    McDougall for Tippett.
    I suspect we will have no option but to match Morris up against Burton.

That said. I still think the best thing to do with Morris will be to play him against Macleod and shut him out of the game. If Macleod touches it 25 times, we will lose. Burton might kick 8 - but he might kick 1. An unattended Macleod will get it 25 times.
    What about Griffen? One of the better games he ever played was when he was trusted with the role on Garyjnr in his debut year. Could be an option worth considering perhaps - on McLeod I mean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    What about Griffen? One of the better games he ever played was when he was trusted with the role on Garyjnr in his debut year. Could be an option worth considering perhaps - on McLeod I mean.
    I prefer Griffen behind the ball. Macleod will almost certainly play back...if Griffen is in our forward line we will miss his drive terribly. He will need to take an Edwards or Goodwin down the other end and will have his hands full doing that...he is good enough though.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer Griffen behind the ball. Macleod will almost certainly play back...if Griffen is in our forward line we will miss his drive terribly. He will need to take an Edwards or Goodwin down the other end and will have his hands full doing that...he is good enough though.
    So who goes to McLeod then? Our forwards don't have a great record in picking up there man at the best of times.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone could play on Burton. If he decides to stand on someone's head no-one is going to stop him anyway. He is really vulnerable to getting burnt the other way, he's not the world's hardest worker.

McLeod's played forward all NAB Cup but I agree that if I were Craig I'd play him back. We really don't have a suitable player to shut him down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    So who goes to McLeod then? Our forwards don't have a great record in picking up there man at the best of times.
    Morris...I think that is what I said. Or have I confused myself?

I have Morris going to Macleod.
    McDougall on Tippett.
    Griffen taking whoever out of Goodwin and Edwards plays 'high' forward. (Up the ground, not Cousins style).
    I would play Shaggy or Gilbee on Burton and not be too worried, but like I said, I would not be surprised if Morris is picked for this role - the coaches have played him back for two years now and seem set with that plan.

Post Thanks / Like

McDougall on Tippett.
    Griffen taking whoever out of Goodwin and Edwards plays 'high' forward. (Up the ground, not Cousins style).
    I would play Shaggy or Gilbee on Burton and not be too worried, but like I said, I would not be surprised if Morris is picked for this role - the coaches have played him back for two years now and seem set with that plan.
    No I just mis-understood you, didn't realise you wanted Morris to play as a 'defensive' forward.

If Morris plays up back and McLeod also plays in defence who goes to McLeod?

Post Thanks / Like

No I just mis-understood you, didn't realise you wanted Morris to play as a 'defensive' forward.

Geez the only name that's popping up is Harbrow

Post Thanks / Like

If that happens, I predict we will lose.

They will engineer it so that Macleod (He is a Mac not a mc I am certain) is continually moved onto someone like Higgins. I guess Addison would stick at the task, and so might Callan, but do you really think either of those guys would even slow him down?

Post Thanks / Like

McDougall on Tippett.
    Makes a lot of sense to me, I just hope that Burton isn't on fire on Sunday. Apart from the advantage of us having Welsh, it's also a bonus that we no longer need to man up on him...if that makes sense. I think Morris should be able to keep McLeod to less damaging possessions than any of our other players could, but it would be better if we had the luxury of not missing him in the backline.

Post Thanks / Like

If that happens, I predict we will lose.

They will engineer it so that Macleod (He is a Mac not a mc I am certain) is continually moved onto someone like Higgins. I guess Addison would stick at the task, and so might Callan, but do you really think either of those guys would even slow him down?
    In another thread I stated I wouldn't be unhappy if Morris followed McLeod (I'm sticking with Mc) everywhere. Well worth some thought.

With no midfield tag role required, just a fair bit of respect could we use Boyd as a tagger on McLeod?