Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  75

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Game Day R5 2023 - Gather Round

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    This next generation coming through are really an entitled lot.

They expect to be able to do what they want without repercussions. It's not one bit surprising given they've grown up doing exactly what they want and no one is allowed to tell them no or provide decent discipline. You only have to walk into a school to see how that's playing out.

I don't think the current environment is building any kind of resilience amongst our kids today. There's overstepping the mark, discrimination etc but then there's things like this. He's entitled to do what he wants to ge to Port, but he can't expect north fans not to boo him given what he did to them. Why neutral fans would boo him is beyond me but there's really only been 1 match with solid evidence of that yeah?
    Mr. Rogan, has JHF actually complained or are you conflating him with your perception of younger people and the media coverage defending him?

More seriously and pointless inter-generational culture warfare aside I've not actually seen him speak out against the booing. Hinkley has condemned it, the some media has as well, Jason just played a game of football.

2. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Mr. Rogan, has JHF actually complained or are you conflating him with your perception of younger people and the media coverage defending him?

More seriously and pointless inter-generational culture warfare aside I've not actually seen him speak out against the booing. Hinkley has condemned it, the some media has as well, Jason just played a game of football.
    Why all the uproar if he doesn't have a problem with it?

Pointless inter-generational culture warfare.....that's a good one

Post Thanks / Like

Why all the uproar if he doesn't have a problem with it?

Pointless inter-generational culture warfare.....that's a good one
    It was always going to be brought up for discussion in the media once he was booed. Especially since there's some confusion around who exactly was booing him. Former players get booed all the time but 'was he booed by neutrals?' is something to fill time on TV and inches in newspapers.

Post Thanks / Like

It was always going to be brought up for discussion in the media once he was booed. Especially since there's some confusion around who exactly was booing him. Former players get booed all the time but 'was he booed by neutrals?' is something to fill time on TV and inches in newspapers.
    He was booed by pies fans which was surprsing but unsurprising at the same time.

Gather round we won't know who was booing him.

Ultimately, North fans will boo him when their clubs meet. It might last another couple seasons then it'll fizzle out.

I haven't actually read anything specific on this and why it's creating such an uproar. It seemed to start after the pies game. But has it turned into that he shouldn't be booed at all?

Post Thanks / Like

He was booed by pies fans which was surprsing but unsurprising at the same time.

Gather round we won't know who was booing him.

Ultimately, North fans will boo him when their clubs meet. It might last another couple seasons then it'll fizzle out.

I haven't actually read anything specific on this and why it's creating such an uproar. It seemed to start after the pies game. But has it turned into that he shouldn't be booed at all?
    Yep, he will be prepared for the North response but I think this one caught both Port and Horne Francis unaware.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Yep, he will be prepared for the North response but I think this one caught both Port and Horne Francis unaware.
    He has been built up as a divisive figure by the media, and his actions have given it just enough credence for dumb SEN public buy in.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    He has been built up as a divisive figure by the media, and his actions have given it just enough credence for dumb SEN public buy in.
    I'm critical of the way he departed North.
    I agree it does appear the media hasn't done him a lot of favors either.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    Can somebody get Franco off the toilet?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

It's ok, Boomers hated us too. It's just what happens, pointless as it is.

The thing is we all grew up with our own problems and not the next generation's problems so we can't understand their experience because it isn't happening to us.

It's like the day you realise triple J isn't aimed at you anymore. It just happens.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post

The thing is we all grew up with our own problems and not the next generation's problems so we can't understand their experience because it isn't happening to us.

It's like the day you realise triple J isn't aimed at you anymore. It just happens.
    Exactly. I don't hate the next generation at all. Wasn't my point but I guess I should have been careful with my words knowing where im posting.

I know my generation isn't as resilient as the one before and the one before that. We are products of the environment we've grown up in. I can't imagine growing up during 2 world wars and a great depression.

What's great about each subsequent generation is they are speaking up for themselves and their beliefs. There's so much bs in society that is driven down from the elite or is just done because it's always been done that way. New generations are challenging the bs and it's great.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly. I don't hate the next generation at all. Wasn't my point but I guess I should have been careful with my words knowing where im posting.

I know my generation isn't as resilient as the one before and the one before that. We are products of the environment we've grown up in. I can't imagine growing up during 2 world wars and a great depression.

What's great about each subsequent generation is they are speaking up for themselves and their beliefs. There's so much bs in society that is driven down from the elite or is just done because it's always been done that way. New generations are challenging the bs and it's great.
    Can't deny how bad they were but that doesn't diminish what subsequent generations have gone through. The threat of a world ending nuclear war, the growing inequality and diminishing quality of life, the existential dread of climate change. All pretty horrible things that all pose different tolls on people.

And appologies if I judged you harshly. When I read that comment my first association was the “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.” BS that gets trotted out to dismiss and attack Millennials (without realising it's actually Gen Z who are the 20 year olds now)

Post Thanks / Like

Can't deny how bad they were but that doesn't diminish what subsequent generations have gone through. The threat of a world ending nuclear war, the growing inequality and diminishing quality of life, the existential dread of climate change. All pretty horrible things that all pose different tolls on people.

And appologies if I judged you harshly. When I read that comment my first association was the “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.” BS that gets trotted out to dismiss and attack Millennials (without realising it's actually Gen Z who are the 20 year olds now)
    I'm not trying to diminish what subsequent generations have gone through. I'm a millennial. Ive heard it all from boomers. But at the same time we cant hurl abuse to all of them for our issues (even though i want to!). Again, we're products of our time and environment.

I don't think it's wrong to compare the environments we've grown up in, but to your point, we shouldn't pass judgement.
    Knowing what was changing in schools some 10-15years ago, it doesn't surprise me seeing some of the issues our youth are currently facing.

Anyway, maybe this is all a storm in a teacup. Perhaps the crowd were just saying boo-urns.

14. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The worst day was hearing my eras music on gold fm.

16. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

#genx4life