PDA

View Full Version : Pick 4 - what to do?

Pages : [1] 2 3

bulldogtragic
01-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Well, Patton and Boyd are not coming, so no big trades on the horizon for pick 4. But we have seemed to express interest in trading 4 for the right offer.

Are there any other players worth considering trading down for?

I'll nominate Docherty.

Pick 4 (Scharenberg or Kelly) and small sweetener (maybe second round swap or Wood/Tutt etc)

For

Pick 8 (Bontempelli, Sheed, Taylor) and Docherty

bulldogsthru&thru
01-10-2013, 03:07 PM
Well, Patton and Boyd are not coming, so no big trades on the horizon for pick 4. But we have seemed to express interest in trading 4 for the right offer.

Are there any other players worth considering trading down for?

I'll nominate Docherty.

Pick 4 (Scharenberg or Kelly) and small sweetener (maybe second round swap or Wood/Tutt etc)

For

Pick 8 (Bontempelli, Sheed, Taylor) and Docherty

Dont know if brisbane would do that. I dont like the idea of trading down when we have pick 4. Now that Patton and Boyd are off limits we should just take best available with pick 4. Hopefully saints dont take Scharenburg. Billings and Bontempelli i also like. Not really sold on Kelly but i would trust whoever the club drafts

bulldogtragic
01-10-2013, 03:10 PM
Dont know if brisbane would do that. I dont like the idea of trading down when we have pick 4. Now that Patton and Boyd are off limits we should just take best available with pick 4. Hopefully saints dont take Scharenburg. Billings and Bontempelli i also like. Not really sold on Kelly but i would trust whoever the club drafts
I prefer Kelly all thing being equal. But if a good player dropped us into the pick 10 range, I'm open minded.

LostDoggy
01-10-2013, 04:49 PM

Pick 4, in this draft, could easy nett us Cale Morton.....

Now do you want to keep it?

I see it as a massively compromised draft with only moderate paced midfielders who have good endurance or 174cm speedsters neither of which we need. If I was guaranteed we'd get Sharenberg I'd be more comfortable but we are not so I'd rather control our destiny and trade it down to get a known commodity but still stay in round 1 later on.

bulldogtragic
01-10-2013, 04:55 PM

I see it as a massively compromised draft with only moderate paced midfielders who have good endurance or 174cm speedsters neither of which we need. If I was guaranteed we'd get Sharenberg I'd be more comfortable but we are not so I'd rather control our destiny and trade it down to get a known commodity but still stay in round 1 later on.
Agree. As much as I'm a Kelly fan, Sheed, Bontempelli, Lennon or Kolo are not so much worse if the player we trade down for is worth it.

bulldogsthru&thru
01-10-2013, 05:05 PM

I see your point. But who could we get that will allow us to downgrade within the top 10 0r 12? I dont see Brisbane doing it for Docherty. Plus Docherty will be headed to carlton if he leaves.

LostDoggy
01-10-2013, 05:43 PM
I see your point. But who could we get that will allow us to downgrade within the top 10 0r 12? I dont see Brisbane doing it for Docherty. Plus Docherty will be headed to carlton if he leaves.

I want Kristian Jaksch from last years draft and GWS pick 10. If we got those two for 4 I think we are mitigating out risk better. I'd then use 10
on either McCarthy or Marsh.

bulldogtragic
01-10-2013, 05:45 PM
I want Kristian Jaksch from last years draft and GWS pick 10. If we got those two for 4 I think we are mitigating out risk better. I'd then use 10
on either McCarthy or Marsh.
Can't see Jacksch going anywhere.

LostDoggy
01-10-2013, 05:53 PM
Can't see Jacksch going anywhere.

Word was he wasn't happy with either his rehab nor his opportunities this year at GWS. He's close to both Macrae and Hrovat as well from Carey days. Dogs have apparently expressed interest.

bulldogtragic
01-10-2013, 05:58 PM
Word was he wasn't happy with either his rehab nor his opportunities this year at GWS. He's close to both Macrae and Hrovat as well from Carey days. Dogs have apparently expressed interest.
If so, his value just went up with Buddy dismissing them. If I'm Silvagni, a 6 pick upgrade wouldn't do it for me. We should be looking at any tradable bodies for GWS. They need them bad.

LostDoggy
01-10-2013, 06:03 PM
If so, his value just went up with Buddy dismissing them. If I'm Silvagni, a 6 pick upgrade wouldn't do it for me. We should be looking at any tradable bodies for GWS. They need them bad.

Cool Wood.

bulldogtragic
01-10-2013, 06:09 PM
Cool Wood.
Jones?

Would you listen to offers?

Ozza
01-10-2013, 06:09 PM
Shaping up as 'best available' is the best option.

JohnGentStand
01-10-2013, 06:27 PM
After the events of today, I expect Sydney may quietly shop Sam Reid.....pick 4 anyone ?
Overs for mine but some may consider.

bulldogtragic
01-10-2013, 06:29 PM
After the events of today, I expect Sydney may quietly shop Sam Reid.....pick 4 anyone ?
I would throw an epic dummy spit if that happened. EPIC.

LostDoggy
01-10-2013, 06:32 PM
Jones?

I think he is currently our best tall forward so no. Doesn't mean I rate him but we can't do without him and he has 4 years development invested already. I think they would take wood and we are better equipped to replace him without much impact.

bulldogtragic
01-10-2013, 06:37 PM
I think he is currently our best tall forward so no. Doesn't mean I rate him but we can't do without him and he has 4 years development invested already. I think they would take wood and we are better equipped to replace him without much impact.
What if Patton or Boyd came back on the table, or a top 10 pick?

Mofra
01-10-2013, 06:37 PM
Agree. As much as I'm a Kelly fan, Sheed, Bontempelli, Lennon or Kolo are not so much worse if the player we trade down for is worth it.
The flip side is other clubs will know this as well and the downgrade will attract less of a premium at the trade table.

bulldogtragic
01-10-2013, 06:40 PM
The flip side is other clubs will know this as well and the downgrade will attract less of a premium at the trade table.
True, but a 6 or 10 pick upgrade might still be worth more than a 3rd rounder.

Greystache
01-10-2013, 06:57 PM

What has Reid shown that makes him worth pick 24 let alone pick 4. He is a clone of Jones but Jones has more exposed form and fewer injury problems. Throw in Reid signed a 6 year deal 2 years ago on massive dollars and he is probably the last player in the AFL we would target.

GVGjr
01-10-2013, 07:39 PM
GWS don't need early draft picks like pick 4 unless they are going to it to acquire a ready made player with another club.

They might consider of swap of picks 10 and 19 for pick 4 if they can then use that pick to get that established player.

Would picks 10 and 19 compensate us for the loss of pick 4?

bulldogtragic
01-10-2013, 07:46 PM
GWS don't need early draft picks like pick 4 unless they are going to it to acquire a ready made player with another club.

They might consider of swap of picks 10 and 19 for pick 4 if they can then use that pick to get that established player.

Hadn't thought of that G...

Kelly or Sheed/Bontempelli and Marsh...

What's your first thought?

GVGjr
01-10-2013, 07:50 PM
Hadn't thought of that G...

Kelly or Sheed/Bontempelli and Marsh...

What's your first thought?

If Martin and Hogan were in the draft I wouldn't consider trading pick 4 but given we appear to have committed pick 22 for Crameri, getting another pick in the 2nd round is inviting. I think we lose by a fraction if we take it but it depends if we want to keep the rebuild going primarily via the draft or via the trade table.

I'd be tempted given the draft isn't very deep.

kruder
01-10-2013, 07:52 PM
From the few vids that I have seen Bontempelli please! Love his left peg,elite endurance, would be a nice Robert Murphy replacement off half back with the ability to go forward and even into the midfield.

Had enough of the panacea forward talk lets take best kid available in which will be our 4th first round pic in 2 years.

bulldogtragic
01-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Kelly

Or one of

McCarthy (big FF, second best FF arguably)
Gardiner (big FB, best key defender in draft)
Kolo (outside serious pace)
Lennon (quality utility)
Sheed (everyone loves Dom)

And one of

Marsh (athletic forward, not our key gorilla)
Cripps/Jones/Dunstan (quality mids)

ReLoad
01-10-2013, 08:51 PM

Pick 10 and 19 are going to shift.

Given the FA stuff that's flying around, daisy, buddy etc, there is a chance they will move out to 11 and 21 or some such combination.

Pick 4 is going to remain pick 4.

Our predicament is simple, we are not going to get another top 6 pick for a few years (given our upward trajectory) so we need to either get something impressive for it, or a wonderkid.

bulldogtragic
01-10-2013, 09:01 PM
Pick 10 and 19 are going to shift.

Given the FA stuff that's flying around, daisy, buddy etc, there is a chance they will move out to 11 and 21 or some such combination.

Pick 4 is going to remain pick 4.

Our predicament is simple, we are not going to get another top 6 pick for a few years (given our upward trajectory) so we need to either get something impressive for it, or a wonderkid.
Well for argument sake Kelly is 4. Not too quick, super athlete with foot skill. Good kid. I like him.

Gardiner is comfortably the best fullback, will go 10-15. Great cover for Dale.
Marsh is a athletic freak capable of god knows what as a tallish forward.

The net effect is what's important, for example

2010 - Hamish Hartlett for Phil Davis and James Strauss
2007 - Cale Morton for Patrick Dangerfield and Callan Ward
2009 - Anthony Morabito for Jake Melkshem and Ben Griffiths

Etc etc

Eastdog
01-10-2013, 09:08 PM
Hope this isn't a silly question but what are all our pick numbers in the draft and which ones first round, second round etc so I can kind of get into the trade/draft lingo if you know what I mean.

bulldogtragic
01-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Hope this isn't a silly question but what are all our pick numbers in the draft and which ones first round, second round etc so I can kind of get into the trade/draft lingo if you know what I mean.
4, 22, 40, 58, 76

With some changes, but it's essentially it give or take.

Eastdog
01-10-2013, 09:44 PM
4, 22, 40, 58, 76

With some changes, but it's essentially it give or take.

Thanks for that BT. I see we have nothing between pick 10-20.

LostDoggy
01-10-2013, 09:52 PM
Thanks for that BT. I see we have nothing between pick 10-20.

We hopefully will. I'm not convinced this draft is as shallow as some people think, given we need young talent in all areas.

If it takes Wood/Tutt/Cordy to get into that range then so be it.

We need to build a solid core of Five year age gap players and the above mentioned are subject to trade talks to help that happen.

bulldogtragic
01-10-2013, 09:54 PM
We hopefully will. I'm not convinced this draft is as shallow as some people think, given we need young talent in all areas.

If it takes Wood/Tutt/Cordy to get into that range then so be it.

We need to build a solid core of Five year age gap players and the above mentioned are subject to trade talks to help that happen.
What finals team will trade their first prized pick on Tutt, Wood or Cordy?

LostDoggy
01-10-2013, 09:56 PM
What finals team will trade their first prized pick on Tutt, Wood or Cordy?

Doesn't have to be a finals team just yet, FA will see a multitude of movement.

bulldogtragic
01-10-2013, 10:01 PM
Doesn't have to be a finals team just yet, FA will see a multitude of movement.
What teams would use their even one of their first round pick on Tutt, Wood or Cordy?

If Heath Shaw is around pick 20 and Jesse White around pick 50, how are our boys worth more? Just curious.

F'scary
01-10-2013, 10:05 PM
Good thread. Took a read of a few of the names put forward by WOOFERS above.

How about this as a line of thinking:

We actually have the forward talls solved. Campbell, Jones & Williams for the two power spots. Crameri (trade pick 22), Stringer & Grant - 3rd, 4th & 5th talls who are all also hot when the ball is there for something other than the big pack or 1/1 grab.

So what we want with pick 4 is actually midfield silk. Something a bit more outside, something with elite foot disposal, something with stamina, sure handling & a possession accumulator. Who fits that bill?

LostDoggy
01-10-2013, 10:05 PM
What teams would use their even one of their first round pick on Tutt, Wood or Cordy?

If Heath Shaw is around pick 20 and Jesse White around pick 50, how are our boys worth more? Just curious.

We can always broach the conversations. Some think it's shallow, I don't, some clubs might disagree. Some outside run, project ruckman, experienced defender might be worth the pick in their eyes.

bulldogtragic
01-10-2013, 10:07 PM
Good thread. Took a read of a few of the names put forward by WOOFERS above.

How about this as a line of thinking:

We actually have the forward talls solved. Campbell, Jones & Williams for the two power spots. Crameri (trade pick 22), Stringer & Grant - 3rd, 4th & 5th talls who are all also hot when the ball is there for something other than the big pack or 1/1 grab.

So what we want with pick 4 is actually midfield silk. Something a bit more outside, something with elite foot disposal, something with stamina, sure handling & a possession accumulator. Who fits that bill?
Kelly.

Templeton31
01-10-2013, 10:09 PM

I would consider this too. I reckon he's good. But heard Plough say today that he didn't reckon Swans would do that as instead would just move him to Centre Half Back. Made a lot of sense.

FWIW Swans next year goal to goal line would then be Richards, Reid, Kennedy/Jack/whichever midfielder, Franklin, Tippett (with Goodes in the pocket).

Nasty.

F'scary
01-10-2013, 10:21 PM
Kelly.

Yep. Sounds good to me. It seems to be a draft where the best are not tall forwards barring Boyd. So go with best available for pick 4 and as it happens a silky midfielder with elite foot disposal would do our list nicely anyway if I am correct about our forward talls not being the issue it was 12 months ago due to Campbell's improvement, Grant's fulfillment, Crameri's recruitment, Stringer's development, William's return to fitness and Jones's - well, if he improves just a little bit more (and he is still young) he could be anything - he certainly is big and heavy enough.

F'scary
01-10-2013, 10:25 PM
I would consider this too. I reckon he's good. But heard Plough say today that he didn't reckon Swans would do that as instead would just move him to Centre Half Back. Made a lot of sense.

FWIW Swans next year goal to goal line would then be Richards, Reid, Kennedy/Jack/whichever midfielder, Franklin, Tippett (with Goodes in the pocket).

Nasty.

Except for a few things: Goodes is now a crock; Franklin has climbed the mountain and will get more headlines for his exploits at Kings X nightclubs; Tippet will keep pulling muscles - hopefully his own :eek:.

FrediKanoute
01-10-2013, 11:46 PM
Keep the pick, yeah the draft is diluted, but its rare that a top 10 pick doesn't turn out to be a gun and the top 4 or 5 have picked themselves this year.

LostDoggy
02-10-2013, 02:04 AM
Didn't Geelong's elite recruiting team nearly trade for Kelly in the mini draft? That's nearly enough for me

But from descriptions, Kelly seems to be a Del Santo replacement and with the Saints having a number of tallish back flankers, you would imagine they would take Kelly and Scharenberg falling to us.

Apparently a lot of KPs next draft but it worries me that if we continue to perform well we may well overtake clubs like Brisbane, West Coast, even Carlton, and may miss out.

GWS will be absolutely desperate now for ready made players, especially a ruckman, a backman and a big bodied mid. Question is how desperate are they.

Assuming Mumford goes to the Hawks, you have to wonder if they will approach the reigning AA ruckman, W Minson. He is contracted and I would prefer he stays....but if a dream offer went to Minson (and to us) you have to wonder. It would have to be a dream offer...

Gotta think someone like Wood would appeal, and you'd think GWS are now going to be desperate enough to overpay.

What do people know about Jed Lamb, out of contract rumoured to be heading back to Melb. Syd need to clear cap space.....hmmm

The Bulldogs Bite
02-10-2013, 02:57 AM
Dylan Shiel has requested a trade to a Victorian club.

I've seen GWS a few times this season, and this kid is an absolute gun. Big bodied mid who wins contested ball but also uses it well. Huge kick of the footy.

Would we be willing to cough up Pick #4, perhaps getting them to throw some change in?

LostDoggy
02-10-2013, 05:24 AM

I've seen GWS a few times this season, and this kid is an absolute gun. Big bodied mid who wins contested ball but also uses it well. Huge kick of the footy.

Would we be willing to cough up Pick #4, perhaps getting them to throw some change in?

Haven't we got enough mid-fielders and need a key position forward?

Hotdog60
02-10-2013, 06:34 AM
Haven't we got enough mid-fielders and need a key position forward?

Can you ever have enough mid-fielders, someone that can win the ball around the ground and pin-point a pass under pressure and deliver lace out into the forward 50.

KF's become irrelevant.

Sedat
02-10-2013, 07:51 AM

Has he? Now that is one player I would love to get to the Dogs.

AndrewP6
02-10-2013, 09:08 AM
Can you ever have enough mid-fielders, someone that can win the ball around the ground and pin-point a pass under pressure and deliver lace out into the forward 50.

KF's become irrelevant.

who do they deliver it to? When you need to kick long to a contest, with a bunch of smalls up forward; you get kicks to smalls, they get out bodied and we lose possession.

hotdog
02-10-2013, 09:13 AM
I would happily use our pick 4 for Dylan Shiel. He is a jet. Not sure this would get it done though. Maybe Pick 4 + Dylan Addison as the steak knives? GWS will make getting Shiel extremely difficult considering he is contracted for another 2 years. He was 4th in their B&F and is still developing. Fast, aggressive, skillful and would be a great get for our midfield. It wont happen though so I should stop dreaming about it now.

always right
02-10-2013, 09:20 AM
who do they deliver it to? When you need to kick long to a contest, with a bunch of smalls up forward; you get kicks to smalls, they get out bodied and we lose possession.

Since when is a potential forwardline consisting of Campbell, Jones, Crameri, Stringer and Grant considered "small"?

comrade
02-10-2013, 09:33 AM

Yes, yes, yes.

From what I've seen of the current draft crop (albeit very little) and going by reports, Shiel is a better mid than any rated in the first 4 this year and is still a baby himself. Strong, quick enough, great disposal. It would be sweet justice for losing Callan Ward.

Get him JMac.

whythelongface
02-10-2013, 09:49 AM

Absolutely. He would be an awesome addition to our team.

KT31
02-10-2013, 10:06 AM
Absolutely. He would be an awesome addition to our team.

Would love to have him.
He grew up barracking for Carlton so imagine that would be his dream club.
We maybe a chance though , he does have close relo's who are Doggies supporters.

LostDoggy
02-10-2013, 10:53 AM
I would happily part ways with pick 4 and a player (Wood, Addison) to secure Shiel.

He's basically a Chirs Judd clone and has the potential to be as good, if not better than Judd.

We must make our case, he can come in and develop with Wallis, Libba, Smith, McCrae, Dahl, Hrovat.

Will be extremely tough competition for he's services, every club would be interested.

I'd offer him a 5 year deal.

bulldogtragic
02-10-2013, 10:54 AM
Would love to have him.
We maybe a chance though , he does have close relo's who are Doggies supporters.
He might be going to Melbourne :)

bulldogsman
02-10-2013, 10:57 AM
Happy to offer up pick 4 for Shiel. If he wasn't prelisted by GWS he may have gone at pick no 1 in his draft year.

Mofra
02-10-2013, 11:43 AM
If we play Campbell, Jones, Crameri, Stringer and Grant forward there will only be one player shorter than 190cm in the forwardline.

stefoid
02-10-2013, 11:52 AM
Would love to have him.

Can Carlton get Thomas, Docherty AND Shiel?

The Underdog
02-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Unless I'm completely misunderstanding the rules we can neither trade or delist Dylan Addison. He is an unrestricted free agent. We can either re-sign him or not. We could potentially do a sign and trade but that wouldn't seem to benefit DFA or another team particularly. So maybe we can stop including him in deals to GWS, because you know, NSW and stuff.

Other than that, Dylan Shiel, yep I'm in.

LostDoggy
02-10-2013, 11:56 AM
Unless I'm completely misunderstanding the rules we can neither trade or delist Dylan Addison. He is an unrestricted free agent.

We can delist him.

The Underdog
02-10-2013, 12:01 PM
We can delist him.

Would there be a point though. Surely not offering a contract serves the same purpose. He is already free to sign elsewhere. Anyway, semantics. We can't trade him

Eastdog
02-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Would there be a point though. Surely not offering a contract serves the same purpose. He is already free to sign elsewhere. Anyway, semantics. We can't trade him

How come we can't trade him.

LostDoggy
02-10-2013, 12:06 PM
How come we can't trade him.

He's uncontracted and qualifies as a UFA.

He's essentially not even a Bulldogs player.

Would you buy something that's free tomorrow? ;)

Greystache
02-10-2013, 12:12 PM

I don't understand why people keep coming to this conclusion. Of course we can trade him, he's currently a Western Bulldogs listed player.

While he has the option to go to a team of his choosing as an unrestricted FA, there may be strategic reasons why a potential club would prefer to trade him rather than sign him as a free agent- such as not interfering with compo from a previous FA loss for a player they can trade for basically nothing anyway.

Greystache
02-10-2013, 12:14 PM
He's uncontracted and qualifies as a UFA.

He's essentially not even a Bulldogs player.

Would you buy something that's free tomorrow? ;)

This is going to be the new "let's trade our first 15 picks in the draft and we'll get our F/S for pick #154.

bulldogtragic
02-10-2013, 12:54 PM
Shiel & Jacksch want back to Victoria apparently.

What value can we offer GWS, seriously. They want experience, so don't say DFA please.

azabob
02-10-2013, 12:55 PM
Shiel & Jacksch want back to Victoria apparently.

What value can we offer GWS, seriously. They want experience, so don't say DFA please.

Addison isn't experienced?

bulldogtragic
02-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Addison isn't experienced?
Addison is worth nothing.

If we want to buy quality players, we need trade value. Pick 4 plus what?

JJ, Higgins, Cordy, Campbell etc, etc.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-10-2013, 01:11 PM
4 + Higgins or Wood for Shiel.

bulldogtragic
02-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Jaksch's manager says he is unsigned but doesn't expect him to leave.

bulldogtragic
02-10-2013, 01:17 PM
4 + Higgins or Wood for Shiel.
Might have to do better. Melbourne sound interested with pick 2.

hotdog
02-10-2013, 01:20 PM
Might have to do better. Melbourne sound interested with pick 2.

Am so sick of Melbourne and their early picks trumping us year after year...:mad:

LostDoggy
02-10-2013, 03:22 PM
GWS have come out and said that Shiel is a required player (and contracted) and will not be going anywhere.

Dry Rot
02-10-2013, 04:00 PM
Will GWS be reviewing their trading strategy now? ie they probably overvalued early picks and their ability to get an experienced star with one of them.

Maybe they will realise that they have to pay way overs, especially in a compromised draft like this year's.

So maybe they might still need pick 4 ie would them offering picks 1 AND 4 get them a player such as Fyfe?

Cyberdoggie
02-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Melbourne look like they want to give up pick 2 now for experience plus picks.

This opens the can a little for trades.

Dry Rot
02-10-2013, 06:30 PM
Mumford to the Giants, so no possible Minson deal

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-02/mumford-to-join-giants

kruder
02-10-2013, 10:09 PM
I think I have mentioned this the last couple of years when we have all been dying for some outside run but Shane Savage again hasnt broken into the Hawks senior team. He defintely can play and would be intresting to see his improvement given more opperuninty.

Any takers??

kruder
02-10-2013, 10:09 PM
Probably the wrong thread he is not worth pic 4!

Happy Days
03-10-2013, 01:16 PM
I think I have mentioned this the last couple of years when we have all been dying for some outside run but Shane Savage again hasnt broken into the Hawks senior team. He defintely can play and would be intresting to see his improvement given more opperuninty.

Any takers??

Only if we convince Simon Hogan to come out retirement so we can have The Mega Powers together again.

KT31
04-10-2013, 02:58 PM
A close source has told me Shiel is staying put and will look at moving when his contract expires.

azabob
04-10-2013, 07:54 PM
A close source has told me Shiel is staying put and will look at moving when his contract expires.

Not for another two years, by then he may want to stay.

LostDoggy
18-10-2013, 12:57 PM
Wow - pick 2 and 20 for Tyson and pick 9. MFC have done unbelievably well out of that deal.

Cyberdoggie
18-10-2013, 01:52 PM
Wow - pick 2 and 20 for Tyson and pick 9. MFC have done unbelievably well out of that deal.

If Aish or Kelly or Scharenberg turn out to be a gun then no one will care that they got Tyson and a couple of other players.

GWS have got a wealth of talent, they are in the enviable position where they can trade decent quality players and later swaps for potential superstar number 2 picks.

I'm curious as to how this will effect us now.

GWS 1,2, saints pick 3.

What do GWS need at pick 2, you would think it would be Aish or Kelly if they want another midfielder, or maybe Scharenberg if they want a more developed hbf'er.

F'scary
18-10-2013, 01:56 PM

They have swapped pick 2 for the 2011 pick 3 who is a midfielder. Beyond Boyd, the next few 2013 picks appear to be destined to be used on highly rated midfielders. But the upgrade of pick 20 to pick 9 is a real win for them.

Remi Moses
18-10-2013, 02:18 PM
If Aish or Kelly or Scharenberg turn out to be a gun then no one will care that they got Tyson and a couple of other players.

GWS have got a wealth of talent, they are in the enviable position where they can trade decent quality players and later swaps for potential superstar number 2 picks.

GWS 1,2, saints pick 3.

What do GWS need at pick 2, you would think it would be Aish or Kelly if they want another midfielder, or maybe Scharenberg if they want a more developed hbf'er.

I think it will be The Burger. Meaning it will be Aish or Kelly for us.
Just think they'll want a big body ready to go type.
Wouldn't be shattered with either Aish or Kelly

Greystache
18-10-2013, 03:23 PM

GWS 1,2, saints pick 3.

Tyson was pick #3 in 2011. Draftees are like new cars, the moment they drive off the lot their value goes down 20%.

chef
18-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Emma Quayles prediction ATM.

1: GWS - Tom Boyd
2: GWS - Josh Kelly
3: STK - Matt Scharenberg
4: WBD - Jack Billings
5: GCS - Kade Kolodjashnij
6: COL - James Aish
7: BRI - Marcus Bontempelli
8: NTM - Luke McDonald
9: MEL - Ben Lennon
10: COL - Nathan Freeman
11: WCE - Dom Sheed
12: RIC - Christian Salem
13: CAR - Cameron McCarthy
14: GCS - Matt Crouch
15: SYD - Darcy Gardiner
16: GEE - Lewis Taylor
17: FRE - Blake Acres
18: STK - Trent Dumont
19: STK - Luke Dunstan
20: BRI - Billy Hartung

LostDoggy
18-10-2013, 06:58 PM
James Aish had been touted as going at 2 or 3 for months, any reason he might slip down?

chef
18-10-2013, 07:30 PM
https://www.facebook.com/AFLSeasonAndOffSeasonNews/posts/215487938625442

DRAFT UPDATE

Emma Quayle has suggested today that one of the mainstays of the top 5 draft picks this year, could fall out of the top 5 as Tasmanian Kade Kolodjashnij looms as a big smokey at pick 5 to the Gold Coast.

Collingwood and West Coast have all but tied up a deal that'll see Collingwood gain pick 6 and 40 from West Coast, whilst the Eagles will gain pick 11 and 27 from the Pies.

As the Giants have now traded for Pick 2, and given away pick 9, and the Pies holding two top 10 picks, the draft is looming as follows:

Christian Salem has become of serious interest to the Pies according to the SEN website, whilst Tasmanian Kade Kolodjashnij, this years best bona fide rebounding defender has shot up into pick 5 calculations at the Suns.

Emma Quayle has suggested that possibly lightening might strike twice with the Pies, who could yet land a second steal of the draft with suggestions that dual Norwood premiership player, James Aish could slip into their hands at pick 6.

GWS won't overlook Tom Boyd, and SOS has made no secret his admiration for Josh Kelly.

The Saints could take Matt Scharenberg who is a Goddard-type player, and brings immediate class, versatility and height to otherwise a small(ish) side. They will have three picks in the first round, meaning grabbing a tall player and then stocking up on mids could be the path they go down.

Jack Billings is just about certain to fall into the Bulldogs laps at pick 4, however he could fall either way to the Saints or as far as pick 6.

Northern Knights pair Marcus Bontempelli and Ben Lennon are two of the classier players in this years draft, and both could find themselves being selected back-to-back at picks 6 to Collingwood or 7 to Brisbane.

Luke McDonald is locked in at pick 8, but the Demons could go down one of two paths given an array of varying scenarios.

Ben Lennon is tipped to be at pick 9, however the Dees could opt for Patrick Dangerfield clone, Nathan Freeman or his Sandringham teammate Christian Salem.

Dom Sheed is expected to be available at pick 11 for the Eagles, who would've been paying overs at pick 6 for Sheed, regardless.

The current first round could look something like this.

LostDoggy
18-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Happy with Billings. Not what we absolutely need by type but serious class to the kid. Think its as good/safe an outcome as it gets in this draft to recruit probable elite talent outside Boyd

comrade
18-10-2013, 09:57 PM
Who does Billings play like? Sounds like a Higgins type.

1eyedog
18-10-2013, 10:29 PM

Yeah that's what I thought too.

With such a stacked forward line and a plethora of young players to move through there over the long term I'm not sure Billings is the player we should go after. Sure Quayle believes he's the best talent at our pick but I'd wager that if Scharenberg is available at 4 he's ours.

While Billings may eventually play midfield he hasn't really as a junior. Sharenberg is bigger with a good pair of hands and can play forward and back. We don't lack half forwards but we do lack a traditional utility type player.

My fingers are crossed for him but I think GWS will take him at 2 behind Boyd.

F'scary
18-10-2013, 11:27 PM
Happy with Billings. Not what we absolutely need by type but serious class to the kid. Think its as good/safe an outcome as it gets in this draft to recruit probable elite talent outside Boyd

We just don't need more of these types of players. We already have Dahlhaus, Hunter, Higgins, Dickson competing for the one to two smaller forward line player spots (I think we are going to have a pretty big forward line with Campbell, Jones, Stringer, (probably) Crameri, Williams & Grant on offer for positions). There is also Clay Smith who has shown he can be a beast in the front half. And then there's Hrovat. And Gia goes around again next season. Et Cetera.

What's on offer in terms of players who can come out of the back half who have elite kicking and decision making skills? I think that is more of a need than another stay-at-home small to medium sized forward who might take a rotation in the midfield here and there.

...just took a look. That Kolodjashnij might be more what we need - an eventual replacement for the inimitable Murphy. Or Bontempelli - he could be groomed as the eventual Dale "the Glove" Morris replacement.

LostDoggy
19-10-2013, 12:19 AM
Would you pass on an 18 year old Brad Johnson so you could get a potentially less talented version of Grant Birchall? It's not quite the right analogy for either but its as close as I can get. Johno showed more as a mid as a junior than Billings has but Billings has real class. I love Sharenberg and I personally think he has the potential to be as good as Birchall but the footy community seems to be second guessing its original assessment. FWIW I would personally take the "riskier"'path and go with Sharenberg but I can see why we would call out Billings name. And I would hate to see Johno mark II go play for Brissie. And no, I'm not putting any pressure on either kid before someone starts roasting that chestnut......

Dry Rot
19-10-2013, 12:43 AM
Anyone who wants us to trade for pick 1 now overlooks that we will be relatively shithouse next year, finishing in the bottom six.

Let's say Saints get Boyd, then they, GWS and the Dees probably won't be after tall forwards in 2014, Lions will.

So one tall forward will be gone before we get a go - there should be a good tall forward available to us at pick 5 or 6.

Topdog
19-10-2013, 06:12 AM
I don't believe we will be bottom 6 next year.

Anyway why wouldn't we take Aish if he is available? From the little I know he seems exactly what we need

comrade
19-10-2013, 09:37 AM
I don't believe we will be bottom 6 next year.

Anyway why wouldn't we take Aish if he is available? From the little I know he seems exactly what we need

Yep, I'm loving the Aish sliding talk. If he's there at 4, surely we snatch him.

Go_Dogs
19-10-2013, 09:56 AM
Yep, I'm loving the Aish sliding talk. If he's there at 4, surely we snatch him.

Agreed, if he's available surely we cannot pass? I'd be over the moon to land him as I've basically assumed all year we wouldn't get a chance but now it's getting to the business end it seems a very realistic possibility.

1eyedog
19-10-2013, 10:08 AM
Yeah we are going to land a good player aren't we. Seems there is not a lot between 2-4 and the higher pick just nets you what you need rather than the better player.

The Underdog
19-10-2013, 11:27 AM

I'd be sorely disappointed if we didn't. I'd still be amazed if GWS don't take Boyd. Quality talls are just worth too much but the chances of Aish slipping to us seem to have become more realistic. Also wouldn't be surprised if GWS have a blockbuster on the boil and that's why they've gathered 1 & 2. Might not happen but they need stars now.

F'scary
19-10-2013, 02:27 PM
We just don't need more of these types of players. We already have Dahlhaus, Hunter, Higgins, Dickson competing for the one to two smaller forward line player spots (I think we are going to have a pretty big forward line with Campbell, Jones, Stringer, (probably) Crameri, Williams & Grant on offer for positions). There is also Clay Smith who has shown he can be a beast in the front half. And then there's Hrovat. And Gia goes around again next season. Et Cetera.

What's on offer in terms of players who can come out of the back half who have elite kicking and decision making skills? I think that is more of a need than another stay-at-home small to medium sized forward who might take a rotation in the midfield here and there.

...just took a look. That Kolodjashnij might be more what we need - an eventual replacement for the inimitable Murphy. Or Bontempelli - he could be groomed as the eventual Dale "the Glove" Morris replacement.

Would you pass on an 18 year old Brad Johnson so you could get a potentially less talented version of Grant Birchall? It's not quite the right analogy for either but its as close as I can get. Johno showed more as a mid as a junior than Billings has but Billings has real class. I love Sharenberg and I personally think he has the potential to be as good as Birchall but the footy community seems to be second guessing its original assessment. FWIW I would personally take the "riskier"'path and go with Sharenberg but I can see why we would call out Billings name. And I would hate to see Johno mark II go play for Brissie. And no, I'm not putting any pressure on either kid before someone starts roasting that chestnut......

Well, if he is another Brad Johnston, that's another matter. I would be interested to hear further views on Billings.

1eyedog
20-10-2013, 10:32 AM

But he's probably not going to be a Brad Johnson is he? And Scharenberg may be better than Birchall (who's not a great player lets face it) so that argument is a bit flawed.

Would you rather take a Shaun Higgins or a Corey Enright? Equally valid argument and I'd take Enright.

Hot_Doggies
20-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Only one person (MJP) on this forum has any real idea about these kids.

He has doubts about Sharenburg.

Mofra
20-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Would you pass on an 18 year old Brad Johnson so you could get a potentially less talented version of Grant Birchall? It's not quite the right analogy for either but its as close as I can get. Johno showed more as a mid as a junior than Billings has but Billings has real class.
Johnno was an outstanding middle distance runner as a junior - Billings averages 12 touches per game at u18 level playing as a forward, although his output would have been hampered by his knee injury all year.
They don't strike me a similar players at all.

SlimPickens
20-10-2013, 01:06 PM

That's bollocks and fairly disrespectful to a lot of people on this forum.

chef
20-10-2013, 01:16 PM

Sorry but that's crap.

Ghost Dog
20-10-2013, 01:36 PM

Good lord. That's a pretty exacting view for an inexact science. Drafting.

LostDoggy
20-10-2013, 01:42 PM
Johnno was an outstanding middle distance runner as a junior - Billings averages 12 touches per game at u18 level playing as a forward, although his output would have been hampered by his knee injury all year.
They don't strike me a similar players at all.

Was more referring to the class factor and I'm uncomfortable with the anology as well
for the same reasons. Maybe 1eyedog has it closer with Enright/Higgins but I think Billings will end up comparatively better than Higgins even discounting the injury issues.

1eyedog
20-10-2013, 01:57 PM

That's not true. I think Through and Through has a good idea about Scharenberg (and probably others as well).

Wasn't MJP saying that we had other needs outside of Scharenberg's skill sets rather than having concerns about Scharenberg himself?

Throughandthrough
20-10-2013, 02:20 PM

I've seen Scharenberg live about 50 times over the last 4 years. And Aish live about 10 times over the same period. But that's ok, feel free to guess away. Oh, I've had a good view as well.

Throughandthrough
20-10-2013, 02:25 PM
Ps Aish everyday of the week if available

Remi Moses
20-10-2013, 03:05 PM
Heard Aish to be one of the best out of SA since Buckley!
Thoughts?

1eyedog
20-10-2013, 03:20 PM
Ps Aish everyday of the week if available

Aish has good SANFL bloodlines yes?

Throughandthrough
20-10-2013, 03:25 PM
Heard Aish to be one of the best out of SA since Buckley!
Thoughts?

Yeah. Has played in two senior Sanfl premierships allready. His uncle michael is an Sanfl legend and father Andrew played about 100 matches for Norwood as well. Isn't overly big bodied but is highly skilled , highly composed,and level headed

azabob
20-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Yeah. Has played in two senior Sanfl premierships allready. His uncle michael is an Sanfl legend and father Andrew played about 100 matches for Norwood as well. Isn't overly big bodied but is highly skilled , highly composed,and level headed

Sounds perfect for what we need.

Remi Moses
20-10-2013, 04:09 PM

Remember Michael in the state games.
Fairly religious family, if I recall t+t?

bulldogtragic
20-10-2013, 04:24 PM
That's not true. I think Through and Through has a good idea about Scharenberg (and probably others as well).

Wasn't MJP saying that we had other needs outside of Scharenberg's skill sets rather than having concerns about Scharenberg himself?
At the risk of getting involves or putting words in MJPs mouth, I think he said he doesn't know where Scharenberg fits in AFL level and thinks he is the most likely of the top bunch to not transition from gun junior to gun AFL player, fwiw.

boydogs
20-10-2013, 06:10 PM
Any chance we would take Kade Kolo? Mentioned as a possible pick 5 to GC to fill a need as a running defender, but isn't that what we need as well?

comrade
20-10-2013, 06:11 PM

Any risk of the 'go home' factor?

GVGjr
20-10-2013, 06:18 PM
Any chance we would take Kade Kolo? Mentioned as a possible pick 5 to GC to fill a need as a running defender, but isn't that what we need as well?

He kind of reminds a little of Robert Murphy with his athleticism and evasive skills.
Like a lot of Tassie boys that haven't had the same exposure to good competition every week he has some areas he needs to work on but I think he is an exciting player.
His combine results were excellent and there is a bit there to work with.

The Underdog
20-10-2013, 06:22 PM

Don't you have to back in your club to keep him and pick best available? Which he would be at 4.

LostDoggy
20-10-2013, 06:27 PM

I think our Club has been really good in this regard. Take Cooney and Griffen for example. I remember Barry Hall saying the entire Club is a fantastic place to be around and it seems players don't want to leave for this reason. Excluding the indigenous boys, who was the last player to leave us citing homesickness?

ledge
20-10-2013, 07:00 PM
I think our Club has been really good in this regard. Take Cooney and Griffen for example. I remember Barry Hall saying the entire Club is a fantastic place to be around and it seems players don't want to leave for this reason. Excluding the indigenous boys, who was the last player to leave us citing homesickness?

Schofield

divvydan
20-10-2013, 07:03 PM
Schofield

That's true but he didn't leave for another AFL club. He was homesick enough to give up an AFL career so I think that counts as a fairly unusual situation and separates it from the usual homesick issue.

ledge
20-10-2013, 07:20 PM
You just asked who was the last player who left because of homesickness now your adding other criteria :-)

azabob
20-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Schofield

Was Schofield homesick or didn't want to do the hard work required?

Ghost Dog
20-10-2013, 08:15 PM

His girlfriend wasn't it?

LostDoggy
20-10-2013, 08:19 PM

Such a waste, whatever it was. Such a fun yappy little bugger to watch in the short time he played. Could've been our Ballantyne :(

bulldogtragic
20-10-2013, 08:22 PM
His girlfriend wasn't it?
So the story goes.

Ghost Dog
20-10-2013, 08:25 PM
Such a waste, whatever it was. Such a fun yappy little bugger to watch in the short time he played. Could've been our Ballantyne :(

Dunno - just not a big fan of Shcofield. If he as a gun, I could have accepted the yap.

Pick 4! Best available player. peasy!

LostDoggy
20-10-2013, 08:47 PM
He kind of reminds a little of Robert Murphy with his athleticism and evasive skills.
Like a lot of Tassie boys that haven't had the same exposure to good competition every week he has some areas he needs to work on but I think he is an exciting player.
His combine results were excellent and there is a bit there to work with.

I had a theory a few months back. Whatever team picked Kade earlier could roll Jake onto their 3rd/4th round selection to compliment their synergies and avoid home-sickness. I'll be interested to see if whoever picks Kade picks Jake also.

comrade
20-10-2013, 10:21 PM
Don't you have to back in your club to keep him and pick best available? Which he would be at 4.

I think so, and given our track record of keeping South Aussies happy at the Club, I'd be shouting his name before Andy D could even say Pick 4.

Hotdog60
20-10-2013, 10:31 PM
How spot on are Emma Quayles predictions?

mjp
20-10-2013, 10:32 PM

I think she was 100% for last years top 20.

Hotdog60
20-10-2013, 10:43 PM

So Billings is a hot favourite for us. I like the look of James Aish personally.

azabob
20-10-2013, 10:52 PM
So Billings is a hot favourite for us. I like the look of James Aish personally.

The order she posted above will change.

Emma normally posts two drafts - 1) is who she believes the top 25 players are and then a second version of the draft of who she thinks the clubs will pick.

LostDoggy
20-10-2013, 11:03 PM
Jones?

Jones in a heartbeat!

Mofra
21-10-2013, 11:03 AM
Her predictions are based almost entirely on Fairfax having an ear to the ground on who clubs are interested in rather than a judgement on talent.

That tends to work better than an arbitrary "player X is better than player Y" armchair analysis 99% of draft commentators tend to go with.

always right
21-10-2013, 11:20 AM

Not quite. She had Hrovat and O'Brien top 20 but she wasn't far off. She actually had 12 of the draft picks at their correct selection.

w3design
21-10-2013, 03:01 PM
Well, if he is another Brad Johnston, that's another matter. I would be interested to hear further views on Billings.

I'm not much into player comparisons. Billings from what I have seen [ admittedly only a hand full of games], looks like a natural footballer. Great sense of anticipation as to where the play will go/be. Good mark for his size, and a fair kick especially for goal. His pace seems better perhaps even than it actually is due to his anticipation.
He is slight in build, and smallish which seem the main rubs on him. But then so were Gia, Murph. etc when drafted. But they turned out ok.

I would be surprised though if we let Aish or Kelly slip past us in order to pick him, even though I would be quite happy with having him in the squad. Still he seems less of a need perhaps than some others given we have Dal and Hunter Jr. playing a similar role.

w3design
21-10-2013, 03:08 PM

Ha, over recent years there are more S Aussies at the Whitten Oval than at the Adelaide Oval. And plenty of them just keep re-signing new contracts to stay. And even the most recent to leave [ Lake ] didn't leave Melb. anyway.

I have friends from SA, and they say of Adelaide that most kids there are constantly looking for any opportunity to get the hell out of the place.

Mofra
21-10-2013, 04:06 PM
I would be surprised though if we let Aish or Kelly slip past us in order to pick him, even though I would be quite happy with having him in the squad. Still he seems less of a need perhaps than some others given we have Dal and Hunter Jr. playing a similar role.
This is interesting - I'd agree we need midfielders more than smallish forwards, so perhaps there is the plan that Billings transitions from forward to midfield.

Aish has been talked up as the best mid available all year yet now the boffins with their ear to the ground suggest Collingwood could get him. Bastards.

Go_Dogs
21-10-2013, 04:56 PM
This is interesting - I'd agree we need midfielders more than smallish forwards, so perhaps there is the plan that Billings transitions from forward to midfield.

Aish has been talked up as the best mid available all year yet now the boffins with their ear to the ground suggest Collingwood could get him. Bastards.

If they add him as well as what they managed to snare from SA last year I'll be mighty annoyed!

w3design
21-10-2013, 05:14 PM

Perhaps, but with a top 4 pick, why would you take someone in hopes they might transition to a mid later, when you could take one of two kids who have already demonstrated their capacity to play as mids very well.

As for Aish, unless there is some thing on the personal level casual observers are not privy to, it is difficult to see why he should slip from a football perspective, unless it is something to do with his injury history.

Mofra
21-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Perhaps, but with a top 4 pick, why would you take someone in hopes they might transition to a mid later, when you could take one of two kids who have already demonstrated their capacity to play as mids very well.
Recruiters may hope he can do a Sam Mayes - personally I'm worried about taking a kid (Billings) at pick 4 who doesn't seem to get as much of the ball as other potential draftees.

I'd much rather a pure mid and think we need to add at least one more elite ball user through the middle, but truth be told when it comes to the draftees I'm guessing just as much as the next internet hero.

F'scary
21-10-2013, 10:05 PM
I'm not much into player comparisons. Billings from what I have seen [ admittedly only a hand full of games], looks like a natural footballer. Great sense of anticipation as to where the play will go/be. Good mark for his size, and a fair kick especially for goal. His pace seems better perhaps even than it actually is due to his anticipation.
He is slight in build, and smallish which seem the main rubs on him. But then so were Gia, Murph. etc when drafted. But they turned out ok.

Interesting. Interesting. Thanks Paulv.

LostDoggy
21-10-2013, 10:07 PM
Macca will go for the player who plays the ball the hardest.

LostDoggy
21-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Catching up with a bit of SANFL, watching Redlegs vs Westies. James Aish is just a beautiful player. Does everything right. Time, space, disposal and composure beyond his years.

mjp
21-10-2013, 11:53 PM
Aish is awesome. Billings is awesome.

The way it turns out over the next 10 years with these kids is going to come down to coaching and injuries...no wrong selection here.

Personally I just love Aish - just so composed...but no denying that Billings is just 'clever' - he sees things before others and sees some things that no-one else ever sees. The comment above about possession numbers is interesting because he doesn't get that much of the ball...but he can be the best player afield with 15 possessions.

We wouldn't really be going wrong with either of these guys.

Dry Rot
21-10-2013, 11:59 PM

The way it turns out over the next 10 years with these kids is going to come down to coaching and injuries...no wrong selection here.

Personally I just love Aish - just so composed...but no denying that Billings is just 'clever' - he sees things before others and sees some things that no-one else ever sees. The comment above about possession numbers is interesting because he doesn't get that much of the ball...but he can be the best player afield with 15 possessions.

Thanks for that.

What do you think of Kelly?

Mofra
22-10-2013, 12:02 PM

Cheers - you'd know better than anyone else here.

You've mentioned your thoughts on Scharenberg before, is there anyone would you have in the frame for our selection?

stefoid
22-10-2013, 03:58 PM

Hes been nursing a knee for a greater part of the year, hasn't he? Maybe if not for that he would have been playing more midfield and getting more possessions.

Id love a steveie J player or two in our team. Every time that @#$#@ gets the ball you know something bad is going to happen. Or good if you're a cats supporter.

LostDoggy
22-10-2013, 04:19 PM
I'd be pretty happy and optimistic if we ended up with Aish or Billings from what I've read etc...

The Underdog
22-10-2013, 04:26 PM
Hes been nursing a knee for a greater part of the year, hasn't he? Maybe if not for that he would have been playing more midfield and getting more possessions.

Id love a steveie J player or two in our team. Every time that @#$#@ gets the ball you know something bad is going to happen. Or good if you're a cats supporter.

I reckon Lachie Hunter could be that guy.

LostDoggy
22-10-2013, 04:41 PM
I say we offer pick 4 to Essendon for Heppell, Watson and Goddard.

Flogs.

bornadog
22-10-2013, 04:56 PM

Flogs.

Nice one :D

anfo27
22-10-2013, 05:06 PM

Flogs.

Nah, neither of those players would get in our best 22. I'd offer pick 26 & 42 but i'd demand their pick 66 come our way.

dog town
22-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Love what I have seen of both Aish and Billings. Have a slight question mark over the depth of his (Aish) kicking. Could be a potential issue with Macrae also not a long kick. Aish isn't really poor in this area but I would say he is average at best.

Billings I have only seen in the champs and the highlights. Love that he stands up in big moments.

LostDoggy
22-10-2013, 08:00 PM
Im not saying we should, however, if the trade for Crameri incorporates our 2nd (24) and 3rd (42) picks, and we only get back 66, there is a significant gap between our first and second pick. Do you think there is any merit in down trading pick 4 into 2 later first round selections? I.e Pick 4 to Collingwood for pick 6 and 10, we may also need to chuck in an additional player.

We could still end up with a Billings and Sheed?

If pick 4 does not turn out (for whatever reason / injury etc), and with pick 66 being speculative we are exposed at having no one on the list from this years draft.

stefoid
22-10-2013, 10:12 PM
How many draft picks must we have?

divvydan
22-10-2013, 10:15 PM
We have to take three picks, although that can include rookie elevations.

If we decided to elevate Goodes and Austin, then at a minimum we'd only have to use pick 4, as rookie elevations can be whatever pick you have left.

I'm not exactly sure how many spots we have open on our list though.

bulldogtragic
22-10-2013, 10:48 PM
We have to take three picks, although that can include rookie elevations.

If we decided to elevate Goodes and Austin, then at a minimum we'd only have to use pick 4, as rookie elevations can be whatever pick you have left.

I'm not exactly sure how many spots we have open on our list though.
That would be a disaster. The list still needs turning over.

ledge
22-10-2013, 11:12 PM

The list has been turned over a lot, how much more do you want it turned over ? Personally I think this list is pretty good for the future but keep
In mind we do have to turn over 3 a year minimum.
I would say the list needs just a few tweaks not turning over.

bulldogtragic
22-10-2013, 11:18 PM
The list has been turned over a lot, how much more do you want it turned over ? Personally I think this list is pretty good for the future but keep
In mind we do have to turn over 3 a year minimum.
I would say the list needs just a few tweaks not turning over.
More than pick 4 and Stu and promoting rookies as a potential hypothetical.

azabob
23-10-2013, 07:21 AM
More than pick 4 and Stu and promoting rookies as a potential hypothetical.

Agree. As good as our "potential" is we still need to keep bringing in new players.

The Underdog
23-10-2013, 09:45 AM
Just watched the Aish video on the AFL site. I want one.
Seriously I hadn't even considered him dropping past 3. Emma Quayle has got my hopes up.

Mofra
23-10-2013, 09:50 AM
There's no point replacing borderline players with guys who are worse - teams look set to take fewer players than normal this year due to their perceptions on the quality of this draft.

I imagine that's why Howard's been given another year - he's seen as a better option than a late pick this year.

GVGjr
23-10-2013, 09:52 AM
Just watched the Aish video on the AFL site. I want one.
Seriously I hadn't even considered him dropping past 3. Emma Quayle has got my hopes up.

We couldn't go wrong there.

SlimPickens
23-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Don't think Aish will get past the Saints at 3.

GVGjr
23-10-2013, 10:01 AM

Me either but if he does, he shouldn't get past us.

azabob
23-10-2013, 10:04 AM

Me either but if he does, he shouldn't get past us.

So do we take Billings or Scharenberg?

The Underdog
23-10-2013, 10:04 AM

Agree, but apparently GWS love Kelly and would be mad not to take Boyd. Only takes the Saints to fall in love with someone else. Still can't imagine him making it to us but the possibility is more than zero.

Go_Dogs
23-10-2013, 10:24 AM
Agree, but apparently GWS love Kelly and would be mad not to take Boyd. Only takes the Saints to fall in love with someone else. Still can't imagine him making it to us but the possibility is more than zero.

It's so hard to read the play and the Saints have a lot of needs both in the midfield and in the forward line as their list begins to change even more over the next few years. Aish and Billings could both have strong appeal for them. Freeman and Bontempelli also offer something different they may be interested in but I'm not sure if they take a punt at 3 on either of them, I'm not sure they would go for Scharenberg either. If Kelly slipped through to pick 3 I think they'd grab him.

I'm becoming increasingly optimistic we could grab Aish if the cards fall our way, but even if he doesn't we should be able to get a very good player who'll play 200+ games for the club.

GVGjr
23-10-2013, 10:33 AM

It would appear that way. I wouldn't rule out Kolodjashnij

Mofra
23-10-2013, 10:47 AM
It's so hard to read the play and the Saints have a lot of needs both in the midfield and in the forward line as their list begins to change even more over the next few years.... If Kelly slipped through to pick 3 I think they'd grab him.
Saints fans seem to think Pelchan is in love with Kelly and would take him over Aish.

lemmon
23-10-2013, 10:48 AM
With those other decent draft picks at the end of the first round it makes me wonder whether the Saints may go Billings or Scharenberg as a point of difference? Draft history's shows there should be some decent midfielders around in the late teens, what would be more difficult to find would be a classy half forward or a 190cm utility with the skills Scharenberg is meant to have. Perhaps knowing they are going to get a few decent mids and having added Savage already they decide the talents of these two guys are too hard to justify not picking.

bulldogsthru&thru
23-10-2013, 10:49 AM
It would appear that way. I wouldn't rule out Kolodjashnij

If Kelly goes 2 it will be Aish/Billings at 3/4 (in no particular order)

I dont see us or Saints going for Scharenburg. KK i havent heard much about re top 4 but he has moved up the order in recent times. Still dont see him going top 4 though

SlimPickens
23-10-2013, 10:50 AM

Scharenburg for me. Wouldn't be disappointed with Billings so win win. We will get a good player at pick 4.

chef
23-10-2013, 11:03 AM
We will get a good player at pick 4.

Yep, we will.

OLD SCRAGGer
23-10-2013, 11:42 AM
Scharenburg for me. Wouldn't be disappointed with Billings so win win. We will get a good player at pick 4.

I WANT Scharenburg as well, he's a ready made player I think anyways

Cyberdoggie
23-10-2013, 11:19 PM
Saints fans seem to think Pelchan is in love with Kelly and would take him over Aish.

Kelly isn't as polished as Aish, doesn't have quite the smooth moving looks but he's a ball magnet, extremely fit, left foot can play inside and out (mostly out), pretty good penetrating kick.

I think we will get either Kelly, Aish or Scharenberg. I don't think we could pass up on any of them. I've heard GWS are into Scharenberg in a big way, and seeing as they have a few midfielders and not too many defenders they may go for him, leaving the saints to decide on Kelly or Aish. Do they choose a very classy efficient pendlebury type, or a mcveigh type that will get the ball more than 30 times a game every game.

Any of these players will be great but i think we need some class in the midfield.
Unfortunately none of these players are super fast line breakers but they aren't plodders eithers. I think we would pick Aish, then Scharenberg then Kelly, given the choice.

I wouldn't mind a Freeman either if we had a pick in the teens.

Can't wait to see.

Mofra
24-10-2013, 10:09 AM
I think we will get either Kelly, Aish or Scharenberg. I don't think we could pass up on any of them. I've heard GWS are into Scharenberg in a big way, and seeing as they have a few midfielders and not too many defenders they may go for him, leaving the saints to decide on Kelly or Aish.
We'd have to add Billings to round out the four possibilities - we seem to be into him in a big way as well.
Either way we're gaining a quality player.

bornadog
24-10-2013, 10:39 AM
We'd have to add Billings to round out the four possibilities - we seem to be into him in a big way as well.
Either way we're gaining a quality player.

Here (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-24/28-days-to-the-draft-meet-jack-billings) is a little about him

azabob
24-10-2013, 10:42 AM
Here (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-24/28-days-to-the-draft-meet-jack-billings) is a little about him

Thanks for posting that BAD. Fairly impressive.

craigsahibee
24-10-2013, 10:52 AM
Boyd, Scharenburg, Kelly, Billings or Aish. Looks like quality in all of them. Assuming Boyd goes #1, I think our preference would be Scharenburg, but they all are 200 gamers.

jeemak
24-10-2013, 10:53 AM

All of the videos of the top handful of guys show very astute players.

I'd be happy with Billings, I think. You can never have enough classy and skillful players on your list and if the club thinks he can develop his aerobic abilities to become a midfield/forward player then they should take him.

chef
25-10-2013, 07:27 AM
Callum Twomey ‏@AFL_CalTwomey 39m
Top 10 taking shape, think Saints best placed to pick Billings at #3. Might be best in draft. Another star tomorrow:

1: Boyd
2: Kelly
3: Billings
4:..............AISH!!!???

Topdog
25-10-2013, 09:32 AM
So Billings has jumped from 3rd best on October 9 to best on October 25. Pretty impressive considering he has done nothing in that time.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-09/phantom-draft

bornadog
25-10-2013, 10:23 AM
I still like the look of Cameron McCarthy, he is destined to be a KPF and looks to have the goods.

GVGjr
25-10-2013, 10:26 AM
I still like the look of Cameron McCarthy, he is destined to be a KPF and looks to have the goods.

Same here.

LostDoggy
25-10-2013, 10:27 AM

Pick four's a big jump (if that's what you're saying) for C Mc though.

Undoubted talent.

bornadog
25-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Pick four's a big jump (if that's what you're saying) for C Mc though.

Undoubted talent.

That is my only concern. Do you take best available or best on a needs basis?

LostDoggy
25-10-2013, 10:38 AM

My theory also (needs basis), however at that height of pick (4) i think it's got to be someone considered in the immediate range. McCarthy has come from a limited background and has a ton of work to do to get to a consistent KP forwards output (strength, capacity, knowledge).

After the first round i think the needs basis vs. best available arguement kicks in imo.

always right
25-10-2013, 10:40 AM
I want best available. No speculative picks this early in the draft particularly as we still have a broad range of needs.

chef
25-10-2013, 10:56 AM

Best available for me.

At pick 4 you dont gamble to much IMO.

KT31
25-10-2013, 11:05 AM
Best available for me to, worry about all else later.

Mofra
25-10-2013, 11:10 AM
Last time we reached for a pick 4 KPF - we got Tim Walsh

Best available - a quality ball user will be very welcome

comrade
25-10-2013, 11:21 AM
Billings or Scharenberg are most likely but geez, I'm getting excited at the thought of Aish slipping. Suits our midfield needs perfectly.

LostDoggy
25-10-2013, 12:34 PM

Absolutely. Much less risk.

LongWait
25-10-2013, 02:12 PM
Jason McCartney said 'best available' for pick 4 on SEN yesterday.

GVGjr
25-10-2013, 02:33 PM
Jason McCartney said 'best available' for pick 4 on SEN yesterday.

We won't change that course. It comes down to how you rank players though

LongWait
25-10-2013, 06:49 PM
We won't change that course. It comes down to how you rank players though

We won't finalise that until about a week out from the draft.

LostDoggy
25-10-2013, 06:51 PM
I have absolutely no serious knowledge of any of this year's batch of draftees but Aish sounds like an absolute steal at 4. Given our track record of retaining guns from SA I wouldn't be worried in the slightest about a "go-home" factor.

A Ford
25-10-2013, 07:24 PM
I have absolutely no serious knowledge of any of this year's batch of draftees but Aish sounds like an absolute steal at 4. Given our track record of retaining guns from SA I wouldn't be worried in the slightest about a "go-home" factor.

Who wants to go home to SA?

LostDoggy
25-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Who wants to go home to SA?

Jared Polec apparently :confused:

A Ford
25-10-2013, 07:42 PM
Jared Polec apparently :confused:

Yes Brisbane must be really bad at the moment for him to want to do that.

jeemak
25-10-2013, 07:42 PM
So much depends on whether Billings can eventually make a transition to midfield after about four preseasons.

If he can, then I'd be happy to prioritise him. I've been pushing for a utility who is very good forward and can play clean outside midfield as our main priority for a while.

IMO you just can't have enough goal kicking options from half back through to the forward line, and view ability to be dangerous up forward with clean finishing just about over any other trait (assuming the player can actually find enough of the ball, of course).

I'm very excited about what we'll get, no matter how the top four picks fall.

BornInDroopSt'54
25-10-2013, 09:34 PM
So much depends on whether Billings can eventually make a transition to midfield after about four preseasons.

If he can, then I'd be happy to prioritise him. I've been pushing for a utility who is very good forward and can play clean outside midfield as our main priority for a while.

IMO you just can't have enough goal kicking options from half back through to the forward line, and view ability to be dangerous up forward with clean finishing just about over any other trait (assuming the player can actually find enough of the ball, of course).

I'm very excited about what we'll get, no matter how the top four picks fall.

How good is Pendlebury? He can thread them like a true forward, yet is an elite midfielder. Billings seems to have that natural goal sense and can execute, a converter, an opportunist. Gia has that precious talent, smells a goal and threads them, isn't scared of a goal like most players. With Billings commitment to the game and his apparent great work ethic, you'd think he could transition to the middle and could 'process' the ball, i.e. with ball in hand, he'll choose a good option and deliver well. Boyd, Wallis and Libba feeding out to Griffen, Macrae and Billings with Cooney overlapping at speed will work. Let's get another Cooney!

jeemak
26-10-2013, 01:24 AM
Pendelbury is a star. I hadn't watched enough of him until recently, and now I have so much respect for his coolness and ability to move forward as well as take a mark around the ground. He does have height on his side, it's a huge advantage.

I wish through Gia's career we had better forwards so he could have used his longer distance tank, inside disposal skills and creativity with the ball outside of the 50m to show how versatile he truly is and was as a footballer. But we needed him for a number years to play the role he did for the club, and he did it well.

Nathan Brown, who Billings is likened to, was also such a beautiful and useful footballer in his prime. Losing him was terrible for our club, and his injury was horrible for him. When he went down with his leg injury he was getting 25 good touches a game and kicking goals. He was in the top few players in the comp.

Goal kicking ability is gold.

Remi Moses
26-10-2013, 01:25 AM
I reckon it will be one of the S.A boys.

bulldogsthru&thru
26-10-2013, 01:57 PM
I reckon it will be one of the S.A boys.

Yes Saints might even take BIllings. I think its out of Aish and KK if Billings is gone. If Billings is available we will take him IMO

Twodogs
27-10-2013, 02:35 PM

I hate to ask the question but does anybody know who else was around at that pick?

Best available. Like KT says take the best and then worry about everything else later.

jeemak
27-10-2013, 02:41 PM
I hate to ask the question but does anybody know who else was around at that pick?

Best available. Like KT says take the best and then worry about everything else later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_AFL_Draft

Jay Schultz at pick 12 the only KF that's done well.

There's some good players we missed out on. It's best not to think about that selection too much.

Topdog
27-10-2013, 02:48 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_AFL_Draft

Jay Schultz at pick 12 the only KF that's done well.

There's some good players we missed out on. It's best not to think about that selection too much.

There actually isn't many. That was an awful awful draft

MrMahatma
27-10-2013, 02:57 PM
We won't finalise that until about a week out from the draft.
What changes? I mean, out side of on the day and teams picking someone unexpected, but what would happen to make us change our mind on a player between now and the draft?

chef
27-10-2013, 03:42 PM

Clayton was keen on Mackie wasn't he

GVGjr
27-10-2013, 03:57 PM

It's an old story but Clayton really wanted Mackie but was very confident he could get him later. The Cats went early and we got Faulkner as our 2nd pick

The Underdog
27-10-2013, 09:19 PM
The Hun's first phantom has Aish going to us at 4. I think I need a moment alone just imagining the possibility.

azabob
27-10-2013, 09:29 PM
The Hun's first phantom has Aish going to us at 4. I think I need a moment alone just imagining the possibility.

Billings at 3?

The Underdog
27-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Billings at 3?

Yeah, Boyd, Kelly, Billings, Aish, KK, Bontempelli, Scharenberg...Seriously, if we have either Aish or Billings available at 4 we're mint.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-10-2013, 09:40 PM
How would posters feel if we went for Bontempelli?

The Bulldogs Bite
27-10-2013, 09:43 PM
Yeah, Boyd, Kelly, Billings, Aish, KK, Bontempelli, Scharenberg...Seriously, if we have either Aish or Billings available at 4 we're mint.

My first choice would be Kelly but it seems certain he'll be gone by our pick, so that definitely leaves one of Billings/Aish left over.

Regardless, we should get a very good player. I guess it all depends what type of player we feel we need. Do we want a bigger bodied half back who is versatile (Scharenberg), a big mid/half back (Bontempelli), a classy winger (Aish) or a classy forward/mid (Billings).

azabob
27-10-2013, 09:43 PM

Do you want him, or do you think we are a chance to take him?

LostDoggy
27-10-2013, 09:50 PM

If the recruitment team are confident he can turn into the 4th best player in this draft then I say have at it. Wouldn't be my choice but they get paid full time to make this type of call.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-10-2013, 09:57 PM
Do you want him, or do you think we are a chance to take him?

I wouldn't be disappointed at all if we got him. He has a real point of difference as a player IMO, and his ceiling is pretty high. Probably not a 'safe' pick like a Aish/Billings but I'll be very interested to see where he lands on draft day.

Bontempelli and Marsh are the two that intrigue me the most in this draft.

LostDoggy
27-10-2013, 10:08 PM
Wonder if we gave the Pies a nudge on their 6 & 10 for 4 plus ?

jeemak
27-10-2013, 10:36 PM
Wonder if we gave the Pies a nudge on their 6 & 10 for 4 plus ?

Potentially they see the draft like many of us, in that you're going to get a good spread of talent between 5-15 and picking up two within that range might be better than picking up one between 1-4.

I could understand why they might have turned such an overture down.

bulldogtragic
27-10-2013, 10:43 PM
If Kelly and Aish are gone, I'd be very happy with Bontempelli. Very.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-10-2013, 10:09 AM
I'm amazed that Aish was a clear cut no2 (with some even saying no 1) choice for the whole year, and suddenly now he has slipped all the way to 4 and possibly even 6!? No games have been played since he was touted as 2nd best so why the drop? Would be thrilled and amazed to land him at 4. Absolute steal. I think its almost certain we will take either Billings or Aish with Bontempelli being a smokey

LongWait
28-10-2013, 10:14 AM
If Aish is available at #4 surely we'd call his name with a huge grin on our faces. Aish at 4 and Conlan at 42 for me.

chef
28-10-2013, 10:56 AM
Aish or Billings for me, we really cant go wrong.

LostDoggy
28-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Aish or Billings for me, we really cant go wrong.

Yeah I'm with Chef, I think Aish or Billings both provide something our team needs and I'd be rapt to end up with either player. I really like the fact that Aish has played against big bodies for two years now as I think it lessens the shock a bit of stepping up to AFL.

We know one thing too, if the dogs pick a player it also means they are a quality person off the field.

LostDoggy
28-10-2013, 11:10 AM
I'm amazed that Aish was a clear cut no2 (with some even saying no 1) choice for the whole year, and suddenly now he has slipped all the way to 4 and possibly even 6!? No games have been played since he was touted as 2nd best so why the drop? Would be thrilled and amazed to land him at 4. Absolute steal. I think its almost certain we will take either Billings or Aish with Bontempelli being a smokey

Rumour mill suggests Aish is warning clubs off by intimating he will go home after the two year draft in period. No idea how true it is but it would explain the slide if so. Grundy definately manipulated interviews last year to what he perceived to be his own advantage. I would happily move on to Bontempelli or Sharenberg if that is the case no matter how talented. If its rubbish; we take Aish and run like hell.

LostDoggy
28-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Rumour mill suggests Aish is warning clubs off by intimating he will go home after the two year draft in period. No idea how true it is but it would explain the slide if so. Grundy definately manipulated interviews last year to what he perceived to be his own advantage. I would happily move on to Bontempelli or Sharenberg if that is the case no matter how talented. If its rubbish; we take Aish and run like hell.

What happened to kids just being happy to be drafted? Hopefully it is just rumours.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-10-2013, 11:40 AM

If thats the case he slides to Ports pick.

Think its just rumours though. Draft experts say he is a quality kid with a good head on his shoulders

LostDoggy
28-10-2013, 11:43 AM
If thats the case he slides to Ports pick.

Think its just rumours though. Draft experts say he is a quality kid with a good head on his shoulders

Hope so. We would LOVE a talented winger to round our midfield out.

Twodogs
28-10-2013, 11:49 AM

Or he could get out of Adelaide and after 2 years living somewhere else realise that Adelaide is a pretty small place and apart from family there is no reason to go back there. Cooney was always going to go back to Adelaide when he was drafted.

KT31
28-10-2013, 12:03 PM

Two years with BMac and our culture he may think different.
Still I would rather a keen young kid who was grateful to be with us and prepared to do the hard yards otherwise one who will "Crack in" for the Doggies.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-10-2013, 12:05 PM
Two years with BMac and our culture he may think different.
Still I would rather a keen young kid who was grateful to be with us and prepared to do the hard yards otherwise one who will "Crack in" for the Doggies.

Same. If the rumours are true then pass on him straight away. Dont need a kid who threatens clubs before he is even drafted. Wouldnt take the chance on him.

jeemak
28-10-2013, 12:27 PM
Same. If the rumours are true then pass on him straight away. Dont need a kid who threatens clubs before he is even drafted. Wouldnt take the chance on him.

I'd politely tell the ungrateful little turd we're not interested and be done with it (if true of course, and unless there's no compelling reason why he really must be home state based).

bulldogsthru&thru
28-10-2013, 12:31 PM
I'd politely tell the ungrateful little turd we're not interested and be done with it (if true of course, and unless there's no compelling reason why he really must be home state based).

Not really sure where all these rumours have come from. He is also good mates with Toumpas so should help with him being in Melbourne also. Either way the club will make the right choice. We wont pick a kid with no mental toughness

chef
28-10-2013, 12:32 PM

Where are these rumours coming from?

Dancin' Douggy
28-10-2013, 12:34 PM
If he's the best available just take him. Everything else will work out.
If he really wants to go home, well he'll be worth another really high pick or worth an equally talented player.

Blue chip investment material is what Aish appears to be.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-10-2013, 12:39 PM
If he's the best available just take him. Everything else will work out.
If he really wants to go home, well he'll be worth another really high pick or worth an equally talented player.

Blue chip investment material is what Aish appears to be.

Problem is he will do what all the Brisbane players did this year and go through the PSD if no trade can be worked out. We take him with pick 4 this year and i hazard to guess we would only receive a mid 20's pick in return if he did want to go home and that after putting 2 solid years of development into him. Dont want to go down that path.

Either way if he is suggesting such things the warning signals should be firing and he wouldnt be best available anyway as his head doesn't fit the culture of our club

bulldogsthru&thru
28-10-2013, 01:34 PM
So the media is now focusing on the draft and the top 4 is starting to shape up but there is still a lot to play out.

This is basically how i see it:

- We select Billings if available at our pick: For this to happen GWS would have to take Bontempelli or Scharenburg at 2
- If Kelly goes pick 2, then Saints take Billings or Aish and we take the other. The consensus at the moment is that Billings is a lock to go to the saints if this happens meaning we take Aish
- If Billings goes pick 2 then Saints take Kelly and we are in the same position as above being we take Aish

It basically feels like it will be Billings or Aish going at pick 4 with Aish being the more likely.

Now if the rumours are true about Aish wanting to return home, then KK, Scharenburg, Freeman and Bontempelli come into the mix. I dont like this scenario as it feels Aish/Billings is our first choice

LostDoggy
28-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Where are these rumours coming from?

To be clear - I'm not suggesting its true. Its from, Bigfooty fluff and dust, facebook and I heard something through an industry source who has very 50:50 authentic data based on my previous experiences. I give it very limited credence with the caveat being that its exactly how Grundy fell all the way to Collingwood. If it does have any substance then I don't want to be the next Brisbane thanks and would happily take Bontempelli instead.

If its storytelling, then we take him and the recruitment and footy teams do a quiet little jig behind the changerooms. The club will know the detail either way and that's what counts.

Twodogs
28-10-2013, 03:07 PM
Problem is he will do what all the Brisbane players did this year and go through the PSD if no trade can be worked out. We take him with pick 4 this year and i hazard to guess we would only receive a mid 20's pick in return if he did want to go home and that after putting 2 solid years of development into him. Dont want to go down that path.

One of the Adelaide clubs would have to near the bottom for that to work. Then he'd be limiting his choice to one club to negotiate with.

kruder
28-10-2013, 03:13 PM
In regards to Aish has anyone seen him enough to alleviate my fears of a Toumpas clone?

From what I have seen Id happily take Bontempelli, Billings, Sheed and Acres.

Remi Moses
28-10-2013, 03:15 PM
Rumours could be circulating from Either the crows or Power.
I'm tipping it's made up in the fanciful thinking that Aish will end up there.
Pick the best player and not worry about "Rumours"

Remi Moses
28-10-2013, 03:18 PM
In regards to Aish has anyone seen him enough to alleviate my fears of a Toumpas clone?

From what I have seen Id happily take Bontempelli, Billings, Sheed and Acres.

Gee bit rough on Toumpas! Let's give it a little time before a judgement is made, and also bit hard to judge a player's attributes in that rabble of a side.

The Underdog
28-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Gee bit rough on Toumpas! Let's give it a little time before a judgement is made, and also bit hard to judge a player's attributes in that rabble of a side.

Especially one who had hip surgery during his first pre-season and started behind the 8 ball.