PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Western Bulldogs: Matt Suckling

Pages : [1] 2

bulldogtragic
10-10-2015, 08:50 PM
Welcome aboard. Story Here:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-10/hawks-lose-premiership-player-matt-suckling-to-bulldogs

GVGjr
10-10-2015, 09:02 PM
3 year deal. Welcome aboard

comrade
10-10-2015, 09:03 PM
Some of his kicking is lethal. Crammers and Stringer will be licking their lips.

With Boyd and Murphy nearing the end, bringing in an experienced HBF from an elite system at no cost in terms of picks is a good list management decision.

Pickenitup
10-10-2015, 09:03 PM
Great news Welcome aboard Matty

Bulldog4life
10-10-2015, 09:04 PM
Looking forward to seeing your booming kicks Matty in the red white and blue. Welcome to our great Club.

chef
10-10-2015, 09:05 PM
Quite a coup to poach a player from the premiers

craigsahibee
10-10-2015, 09:07 PM
Not sure about this one. Hope to be proven wrong, but has a bit of "one trick pony" about him. Depth player.

comrade
10-10-2015, 09:11 PM
Not sure about this one. Hope to be proven wrong, but has a bit of "one trick pony" about him. Depth player.

Can see him slotting into Matty Boyd's role nicely.

G-Mo77
10-10-2015, 09:12 PM
Warming to this signing. Sometimes we struggle to get that long ball past a zone. Suckling's foot will be a good weapon to have to counter that.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2015, 09:13 PM
Can see him slotting into Matty Boyd's role nicely.

Could force Boyd out of the side next year between him and JJ and if Biggs and Webb can step up.

Bulldog4life
10-10-2015, 09:14 PM
Could force Boyd out of the side next year between him and JJ and if Biggs and Webb can step up.

The more competition the better. Pre season will be brutal:)

whythelongface
10-10-2015, 09:20 PM
Happy with this signing. Think he will slot in well. Welcome aboard Matt.

comrade
10-10-2015, 09:23 PM

Plenty of good options off half back which is critical to our overall game plan.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
10-10-2015, 09:23 PM
What number will he wear?

jazzadogs
10-10-2015, 09:30 PM
I think a few of our HBF-ers (namely Biggs and JJ) are actually more than capable of pushing up to the wing, and I won't be surprised to see this happen with Suckling staying back. They're not playing back because of their ability to defend, just their ability to be part of the team defence...considering were going with the Hawthorn model I would imagine Suckling is well-versed in those ideas!

I don't see him as a direct replacement for Grant, but I see his position on the list as an upgrade on all of the players we have moved on so far this year.

Bulldog Revolution
10-10-2015, 09:48 PM

I think Suckling gives us far more flexibility with Biggs, JJ, and Webb to shuffle them around between BP and Wing.

Boyd continues to defy what everyone thought he could achieve as an AFL player with his longevity - I wouldnt bet against him being an important cog again next year.

Remi Moses
10-10-2015, 09:52 PM
The big positive is that he's not a fringe player, and our clubs attracted a decent player from a power club ( when they're winning)
That's a canon that left peg, and with a few oldies down back, he fits that in between mould .
Three years seems pretty decent also

LostDoggy
10-10-2015, 09:54 PM
Very much looking forward to the inside 50's to our supremely talented forward line.

Welcome aboard suckers.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-10-2015, 10:04 PM
I wonder if we might want to play him as a high half forward/second wingman? His ball use going into the F50 would be dangerous, and he's capable of slotting them himself from 50-60m.

Happy enough with the signing, he can be cream on the cake. Just hope we address some of our genuine list weaknesses.

hujsh
10-10-2015, 10:10 PM
Well his highlights certainly look good

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2014-11-05/2014-review-matthew-suckling
&

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpBM6vKKGws

For those like me who don't watch much non-Western Bulldogs AFL but don't want to watch a bunch of Hawks highlights the quick summation is long goals from outside 50, backing his pace against opponents and pinpoint passes.

Obviously doesn't give the full picture but it's nice to focus on the positives of the move at this point of the (pre-)season

Twodogs
10-10-2015, 10:22 PM
I think Suckling gives us far more flexibility with Biggs, JJ, and Webb to shuffle them around between BP and Wing.

Boyd continues to defy what everyone thought he could achieve as an AFL player with his longevity - I wouldnt bet against him being an important cog again next year.

I wouldn't bet against Matt Boyd willing himself to grow 30 centremetres over the preseason and fixing our ruck problem.

The Underdog
10-10-2015, 10:29 PM
What number will he wear?

(Sorry, couldn't help myself)

I think 20 is currently the lowest number available

The Underdog
10-10-2015, 10:30 PM
I wonder if we might want to play him as a high half forward/second wingman? His ball use going into the F50 would be dangerous, and he's capable of slotting them himself from 50-60m.

Happy enough with the signing, he can be cream on the cake. Just hope we address some of our genuine list weaknesses.

Tend to agree on all of that. He's another outside running option with good foot skills.

azabob
10-10-2015, 10:37 PM

According to a couple of my hawthorn supporting mates he mainly played that role this year.

F'scary
10-10-2015, 11:07 PM
Nice leg cannon.

Twodogs
11-10-2015, 12:12 AM

(Sorry, couldn't help myself)

I think 20 is currently the lowest number available

20 has been a problem number. It could do with shoring up with a good player

Nice leg cannon.

And a good long shot for goal from a set shot too.

Rocco Jones
11-10-2015, 01:14 AM
I see him more on the wing, being a danger 50-60 from goal. Replacing Grant.

1eyedog
11-10-2015, 01:27 AM
Is only a good player in a good side, which we now are. Not unhappy.

westbulldog
11-10-2015, 02:41 AM

.. bit premature ? just over a month ago Boyd is in the AllAustralian squad...Matthew Boyd, Western Bulldogs. All Australian 2009, 2011. 18 games in 2015. 306 kicks, 144 marks, 189 handballs, averaging 17.0 kicks, 8.0 marks, 10.5 handballs. One Goal, Six Behinds. 24 Clearances, 44 Inside 50m, 79 Rebound 50m. 38 Tackles.

Twodogs
11-10-2015, 02:55 AM
.. bit premature ? just over a month ago Boyd is in the AllAustralian squad...Matthew Boyd, Western Bulldogs. All Australian 2009, 2011. 18 games in 2015. 306 kicks, 144 marks, 189 handballs, averaging 17.0 kicks, 8.0 marks, 10.5 handballs. One Goal, Six Behinds. 24 Clearances, 44 Inside 50m, 79 Rebound 50m. 38 Tackles.

But still Boyd is the type of player we should be looking at giving a soft landing to along with guys like Morris. Whether it's next year or the year after rather than them go from 22 game players to retiring I'd rather see them going from 12-15 game players into retirement with a replacement in place we have seen perform and can be confident will step in and do the job with a minimum of disruption. We should be planning the same for Murph but Murph is unique. I think the plan is that just keeps on playing forever.

Go_Dogs
11-10-2015, 09:28 AM
Happy that we've locked in Suckling.

He'll compliment what we have nicely given his speed and ability to kick long and really open the game up. As we saw with a few blokes who played that kind of role throughout the year, the coach is prepared for a few mistakes to be made when we roll the dice and move the ball quickly. I'm sure he'll make a few errors, but more importantly, he will be another bloke the opposition need to worry about. Perhaps this allows Murph more time forward too.

ratsmac
11-10-2015, 10:11 AM
I haven't really seen enough of Suckling to be excited or not. What I do know is that he is a 2 time premiership player that just walked out on the reigning premier's to come play for us. Is he crazy or was it a wise career move? Time will tell I suppose.

Anyhow welcome to the kennel Matt Suckling.

bulldogtragic
11-10-2015, 10:27 AM
I haven't really seen enough of Suckling to be excited or not. What I do know is that he is a 2 time premiership player that just walked out on the reigning premier's to come play for us. Is he crazy or was it a wise career move? Time will tell I suppose.

Anyhow welcome to the kennel Matt Suckling.

From what I've heard is that he's been on a two week full on boozy bender since he won the premiership. When his hang over clears he's going to have a big surprise and some photos of he and Jason Macca signing a contract at Crown in front of that touring Vegas Elvis wedding celebrant.

bornadog
11-10-2015, 10:43 AM
Tweet from Suckling:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQ_Q3o3UEAAzglv.jpg:large

Sedat
11-10-2015, 10:50 AM
What I do know is that he is a 2 time premiership player that just walked out on the reigning premier's to come play for us. Is he crazy or was it a wise career move?
My understanding is that he stayed on crazy small money (relative to his ability) in order to remain at the Hawks for team success. Now that he's achieved that he's looking for coin that is commensurate with his value, and hopefully more success at another club.

Salary cap is finally starting to bite at Glenferrie.

stefoid
11-10-2015, 11:29 AM
I dont like 'barometer' players.

Topdog
11-10-2015, 11:30 AM

You forgot an important stat. Age 33. As much as we'd love him to continue on forever at some stage he will get too old to play. For many players this happens almost overnight and you go from being AA to being finished. We have to be planning for this.

Webby
11-10-2015, 11:48 AM
Good get. Underrated player who makes a big contribution to the Hawks' key area of strength. He's got a laser of a left foot which is invaluable out of defence. His kicking is damn close to the Gilbee level. That's invaluable.

I am chuffed that the gods have conspired to see Talia's woeful kicking skills removed from our squad and for them to be replaced with some elite ones. Another small step on the road to success, as I see it.

Ghost Dog
11-10-2015, 12:45 PM
Well done Dogs. Was glad to hear this news. He looks quick, brave and experienced. Comes from a winning culture.
Does he have a nickname?

SlimPickens
11-10-2015, 12:57 PM
Well done Dogs. Was glad to hear this news. He looks quick, brave and experienced. Comes from a winning culture.
Does he have a nickname?

Surely Pig or Piggy.

F'scary
11-10-2015, 01:02 PM
I see him more on the wing, being a danger 50-60 from goal. Replacing Grant.

Grant can also be a dangerous forward.

In 2015, Dale got 10 games, Honeychurch 11 games, Prudden 4 games, Darley 2 games, Hrovat 7 games, Pearce 1 game, Roarke Smith 1 game, Clay Smith 3 games (including him because we don't know what the future holds for him AFL-wise), Goodes 7 games. That is 46 games from players that either won't be there in 2016 or that Suckling would be a strong challenge to be selected ahead of.

Plenty of opportunity for Suckers without Mikey having to be let go.

F'scary
11-10-2015, 01:06 PM
Mind you, there is the excellent prospect of 22+ games from Libba jnr to come off that tally of 46 games.

Webby
11-10-2015, 02:14 PM
Does he have a nickname?

It's actually Sucky...! Kid you not!

Rocco Jones
11-10-2015, 02:31 PM
Grant can also be a dangerous forward.

I gotta say I am pretty glad we are not offering him a contract (seemingly unless it's strictly under our conditions).

Basically he is a winger/forward who:
- is just about league worst level for goal kick reliability
- struggles to find the ball
- not a great field kick

They are some pretty glaring decencies. I feel his fans rate him higher based on low expectation.

BornInDroopSt'54
11-10-2015, 03:28 PM
Suckling wins the ball off half back, Stringer/Boyd do a double lead....Hopefully our forwards develop an understanding with Spit Roast.

F'scary
11-10-2015, 04:05 PM
I gotta say I am pretty glad we are not offering him a contract (seemingly unless it's strictly under our conditions).

Basically he is a winger/forward who:
- is just about league worst level for goal kick reliability
- struggles to find the ball
- not a great field kick

They are some pretty glaring decencies. I feel his fans rate him higher based on low expectation.

I reckon there is a spot for him on the list next year on our terms. At the moment we have 2 more vacancies on the senior list. Then Talia looks like being traded and there are one or two others (probably from the smaller to medium mids group) who may be shopped around. We could have a 5 places senior list refreshment, plus 3 rookies without letting Grant go.

Rocco, I'm not the biggest fan of Grant. I just reckon he is worth more than a 3rd round compensation pick (pick 45+) which is what appears to be on offer at best given his low currency. If there is no RFA interest, we keep him on a one year minimum contract wage.

merantau
11-10-2015, 09:40 PM
I like that we have attracted a two-time premiership player who is an elite long kick. I like that Luke Beveridge obviously rates him as he has shown really good judgement in his first year as coach.
Re J. Grant. I would keep him on a one-year ccontract. There is something about him that sets him apart. He's an enigma, encased in a puzzle stored in a box labeled "mecurial". But, I am running out of patience with him so definitely his last chance to really make a name for himself.

AndrewP6
11-10-2015, 09:42 PM
Not sure if someone got in before me, but I just read Suckling will be on around $1milllion over the three years.

MATTHEW Suckling will officially become a Western Bulldog on Monday after a year-long scouting mission from his former assistant coach Luke Beveridge.

Dogs senior coach Beveridge issued his list manager Jason McCartney the task of researching Suckling after the pair formed a close relationship at Hawthorn.

Beveridge believed 27-year-old Suckling’s daring style of play and versatility would help the Dogs but it was only three weeks ago they believed they could snare him.

McCartney said on Sunday the Dogs had feared he would accept an offer from Brisbane, putting their own intensive research to waste.

Dual Hawthorn premiership player Suckling will sign a three-year deal of around $1 million, which presents good value for the Dogs.

“When Bevo started he had a relationship with him and he was keen for me to do some work on him,’’ McCartney said on Sunday.

“With these things it is never easy to get them across the line but Luke had coached him as a line coach.

“Live viewings are important so we would have had at least 10 live viewings of him this year.

“We did some work early then parked it thinking it was more likely he would go to Brisbane with what they were putting forward.

“It became apparent three weeks ago Brisbane had changed their strategy and understanding Hawthorn’s situation with the players they had recontracted, we had a big opportunity there.”

Suckling’s deal could present the Hawks with a free agency compensation selection after their second round pick, currently at pick 38.

The Dogs will lodge the papers for unrestricted free agent Suckling on Monday.

Beveridge’s side thrived this year with an array of run-and-gun small defenders in All Australians Robert Murphy and Easton Wood as well as Jason Johannisen and Matthew Boyd.

But the Dogs believe Suckling can start on a wing or release Johannisen and Shane Biggs if they are to push into the midfield.

“He started the year as a high defender and spend the last two thirds of the year on the wing and as a half forward getting up high,’’ McCartney said.

“We think he will play wing and back initially but he can play all parts of the ground.”

McCartney said the Dogs would consider a trade for a key back or ruckman but would be extremely selective about their needs.

“We are open minded but we will be very selective. We won’t be doing anything for the sake of it.”

The AFL’s investigation into information sharing between the Talia brothers continues to run, jeopardising a trade for Dogs defender Michael Talia.

Sydney showed interest in him halfway through the year but no trade has progressed given the AFL’s investigation.

comrade
11-10-2015, 09:50 PM
Cheers for posting, Andrew.

Less than $350K per year is great value, I would have thought.

bulldogtragic
11-10-2015, 09:53 PM
Cheers for posting, Andrew.

Less than $350K per year is great value, I would have thought.

When you pry a good player from a champion team under free agency, you'd expect to pay a fair bit more than $330-350,000.

That's only 1/3 Tom Boyd :D

Greystache
11-10-2015, 10:09 PM
That's a very reasonable contract. Hopefully it turns out to be a good bit of business.

Sedat
11-10-2015, 10:25 PM
That's a very reasonable contract. Hopefully it turns out to be a good bit of business.
Yep, more than fair for a player with his skill set and at his age. Can only imagine how underpaid he was at Hawthorn.

This looks and smells like good business, measured and calculated.

bulldogtragic
11-10-2015, 10:30 PM

We can't say he's left them for massive money as he could've to Brisbane no doubt. You'd think he would've gotten another $100,000 a year at least from them. This to me looks like a bloke who wants to win more premierships and is taking a reasonable wage to do that in that it allows us to keep signing the guns he will play beside. This is a mark of confidence by Matt and an immediate act from him which gets respect from me.

lemmon
11-10-2015, 11:07 PM
Very pleased with that, we've lured a pretty good player from a very good team on an AFL average wage

Webby
11-10-2015, 11:08 PM
Two Sucklings for the price of one Carlisle... Any day of the week, thanks!

Get something better than a dog turd for Talia, and we're flying.

$700k p.a. For Carlislecertainly puts some perspective on what a bargain Geelong would be getting Dangerfield for.. Carlisle couldn't lace Dangerfield's boots.. At the very least, Geelong are having to give up some trade currency for Dangerfield..

..but, all that aside, good, good business by the Dogs with Suckling. We've strengthened at little to no cost.

Sedat
11-10-2015, 11:12 PM
Will be on a smaller contract with a shorter length of time than Jake Melksham. Unbelievable really.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-10-2015, 01:32 AM
Will be on a smaller contract with a shorter length of time than Jake Melksham. Unbelievable really.

But Paul Roos.

Great get by the club at that price, very happy. If only we can find a quality key defender..

Twodogs
12-10-2015, 01:53 AM
Yep, more than fair for a player with his skill set and at his age. Can only imagine how underpaid he was at Hawthorn.

This looks and smells like good business, measured and calculated.

When I read that he'd been taking unders at Hawthorn and was accepting a bigger contract with us I was thinking 450 with 500 for one year. I don't think Matthew Suckling will be very happy seeing his wages printed in the paper but I am.

Remi Moses
12-10-2015, 02:22 AM

Add Jeremy Howe to that list .
Good piece of business by the dogs, and comes across as a pretty decent bloke.

Remi Moses
12-10-2015, 02:24 AM
We can't say he's left them for massive money as he could've to Brisbane no doubt. You'd think he would've gotten another $100,000 a year at least from them. This to me looks like a bloke who wants to win more premierships and is taking a reasonable wage to do that in that it allows us to keep signing the guns he will play beside. This is a mark of confidence by Matt and an immediate act from him which gets respect from me.

I would presume Brisbane offered way more, and it looked like he was going there a few weeks ago.
I wouldn't underestimate the relationship between Matt and Luke Beveridge

azabob
12-10-2015, 07:06 AM
It was reported Brisbane decided not to pursue Suckling, which allowed us to re-enter the race for him.

Webby
12-10-2015, 10:00 AM
I reckon he'd be the wrong age demographic for Brisbane. They're basically rebuilding.

Axe Man
12-10-2015, 10:52 AM
It was reported Brisbane decided not to pursue Suckling, which allowed us to re-enter the race for him.

Brisbane most likely pulled the pin on signing Suckling as it would have impacted on their Leuenberger compensation. Good fortune for us.

GVGjr
12-10-2015, 11:55 AM
Jumper presentation today at 2.30pm.

Number 20 seems logical.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-10-2015, 12:32 PM
Jumper presentation today at 2.30pm.

Number 20 seems logical.

With Jim Edmond to present it I hope.

Axe Man
12-10-2015, 03:34 PM
Looks like he's been celebrating hard for the last week!

http://s29.postimg.org/bq5gopqbb/CRFipoz_UYAUW_o_V.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

bornadog
12-10-2015, 04:03 PM
Says he will play wing, half forward role.

Mofra
12-10-2015, 04:30 PM
Grant's role. Fair call

BornInDroopSt'54
12-10-2015, 04:44 PM

Sheesh we've got a few that compete for that role: Macrae; Picken; Hunter; Dickson; Stringer; Stevens; Dahlhaus; Bontempelli; Johannisen; Biggs; Daniel; McLean; Honeychurch; Dale; Hrovat; Webb and Grant!

bornadog
12-10-2015, 04:47 PM
Sheesh we've got a few that compete for that role: Macrae; Picken; Hunter; Dickson; Stringer; Stevens; Dahlhaus; Bontempelli; Johannisen; Biggs; Daniel; McLean; Honeychurch; Dale and Grant!

He was sub for the Hawks in a lot of games this year. I just hope this works out as the Hawks don't let many good ones get away.

ledge
12-10-2015, 04:49 PM
Maybe they are looking after us after the Lake trade worked out so well for them.
I think we have a lot of credit in the bank with the hawks after that trade.

GVGjr
12-10-2015, 04:51 PM
Looks like he's been celebrating hard for the last week!

I know a lot of young men only shave about once a week but if the club is putting you out there it can't be too hard to clean yourself up a bit.

bornadog
12-10-2015, 04:52 PM
Maybe they are looking after us after the Lake trade worked out so well for them.

Do you really believe that would happen? Personally I doubt it highly.

GVGjr
12-10-2015, 04:53 PM

I don't think there is any residual credit. Yes some clubs prefer to deal with others but each deal has to stand up.
He wasn't dealt, they didn't put a good enough offer in front of him and he accepted our offer.

Rocket Science
12-10-2015, 04:58 PM
I know a lot of young men only shave about once a week but if the club is putting you out there it can't be too hard to clean yourself up a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjHOtxCRhnw

Ozza
12-10-2015, 05:08 PM
He was sub for the Hawks in a lot of games this year. I just hope this works out as the Hawks don't let many good ones get away.

I thought he was only sub in the Collingwood game, and in the grand final? (although I'm not 100% sure).

I have had my doubts about the merit of this one too - but resolved myself that he is good enough to play 73 games in the last 3 seasons for the best team in the business...and we haven't given up anything for him.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-10-2015, 05:08 PM
Sheesh we've got a few that compete for that role: Macrae; Picken; Hunter; Dickson; Stringer; Stevens; Dahlhaus; Bontempelli; Johannisen; Biggs; Daniel; McLean; Honeychurch; Dale; Hrovat; Webb and Grant!

So many you forget them: Jong as well.

GVGjr
12-10-2015, 05:14 PM
I thought he was only sub in the Collingwood game, and in the grand final? (although I'm not 100% sure).

I have had my doubts about the merit of this one too - but resolved myself that he is good enough to play 73 games in the last 3 seasons for the best team in the business...and we haven't given up anything for him.

Sub twice during the season and of course in the GF

bornadog
12-10-2015, 05:16 PM
Sub twice during the season and of course in the GF

I didn't check the stats, I was going by what my Hawks mate told me. He felt Suckling didn't play as well this year and mentioned he had been a sub a few times. Perhaps he was also subbed out a few times as well and that is why he mentioned that to me.

GVGjr
12-10-2015, 05:22 PM
I didn't check the stats, I was going by what my Hawks mate told me. He felt Suckling didn't play as well this year and mentioned he had been a sub a few times. Perhaps he was also subbed out a few times as well and that is why he mentioned that to me.

Sounds about right. Two Hawks mates didn't rate his season. I'm optimistic though

bornadog
12-10-2015, 05:24 PM
Sounds about right. Two Hawks mates didn't rate his season. I'm optimistic though

Let's hope he works out. He is a Bulldog now and we are right behind him.

Ozza
12-10-2015, 05:41 PM
Let's hope he works out. He is a Bulldog now and we are right behind him.

Absolutely.

One thing I will say, is that it was good to hear in the wrap up from the Hawthorn B&F that he is very well liked at Hawthorn, and was genuinely wished well. Get the feeling he is regarded as a good team mate and a good bloke.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2015, 06:48 PM
Asked at the press conference today he was asked about why he switched, who he is looking forward to playing with etc... His reply:

"... I love the Bont".

Touché, Matt, touché :D

bornadog
12-10-2015, 07:55 PM
Asked at the press conference today he was asked about why he switched, who he is looking forward to playing with etc... His reply:

"... I love the Bont".

Touché, Matt, touché :D

and Murphy

comrade
12-10-2015, 08:28 PM
I'm pretty sure that's JMac's opening line to all potential trade targets:

"So, want to play with the Bont?".

bulldogtragic
12-10-2015, 08:30 PM
I'm pretty sure that's JMac's opening line to all potential trade targets:

"So, want to play with the Bont?".

Then 'So, want to play with Stringer?'
Then, 'So, want to play with Bobby?'
Then, 'So, want to play with Tom Boyd?'

comrade
12-10-2015, 09:07 PM
Then 'So, want to play with Stringer?'
Then, 'So, want to play with Bobby?'
Then, 'So, want to play with Tom Boyd?'

Suckling2Boyd all year long.

jazzadogs
13-10-2015, 03:14 AM
Elephant in the room...he looks a bit chubby doesn't he? Lacking the definition in his arms that you expect from AFL players.

I wonder if lack of fitness was a reason for his subbing on occasion...

GVGjr
13-10-2015, 04:14 AM
Elephant in the room...he looks a bit chubby doesn't he? Lacking the definition in his arms that you expect from AFL players.

Not from my perspective. If anything his many media gigs today kept bringing back memories of the Hawks insisting Lake losing weight when he arrived there. He's probably come off a week of celebrating anyway.

jazzadogs
13-10-2015, 05:09 AM
Not from my perspective. If anything his many media gigs today kept bringing back memories of the Hawks insisting Lake losing weight when he arrived there. He's probably come off a week of celebrating anyway.

Fair enough. Every photo I've seen its been my first thought...even on grand final day!

Certainly wasn't starting a hate campaign, but I'll be interested to compare photos from today to the end of pre-season.

westbulldog
13-10-2015, 01:26 PM
You forgot an important stat. Age 33. As much as we'd love him to continue on forever at some stage he will get too old to play. For many players this happens almost overnight and you go from being AA to being finished. We have to be planning for this.
Yes of course we need to plan for replacements, my point was however that he is being dumped in this forum without stepping on to the field in 2016. He had a great 2015 and what crystal ball says he won't continue in that vein in 2016 ?

Mantis
13-10-2015, 02:13 PM

I reckon his loss of conditioning could be due to his diet over the past couple of weeks consisting of copious amounts of beer & pizza.

Eastdog
13-10-2015, 02:17 PM
Welcome aboard to the Dogs Matt Suckling. It's great that we are becoming an attractive option for players looking for a new club.

Maddog37
13-10-2015, 03:48 PM
I don't reckon he has ever been real buffed up.

jeemak
13-10-2015, 04:59 PM
I reckon his loss of conditioning could be due to his diet over the past couple of weeks consisting of copious amounts of beer & pizza.

I think he can be forgiven for it!

He'd have probably eaten a souvlaki every night since the grand final.

Mantis
13-10-2015, 06:49 PM
I think he can be forgiven for it!

He'd have probably eaten a souvlaki every night since the grand final.

If you win a GF and don't put on 5kgs you're not having a dip.

1eyedog
13-10-2015, 07:00 PM

He's always looked like that.

Topdog
13-10-2015, 07:24 PM
Yes of course we need to plan for replacements, my point was however that he is being dumped in this forum without stepping on to the field in 2016. He had a great 2015 and what crystal ball says he won't continue in that vein in 2016 ?

I actually haven't seen anyone dumping him...

Remi Moses
13-10-2015, 08:22 PM
He's got an accountants body, but I'm sure that doesn't effect his left peg

ledge
14-10-2015, 07:28 AM
Bailey Dale has the look and body of a 14 year old hasn't stopped him.

1eyedog
14-10-2015, 11:24 AM
He's got an accountants body, but I'm sure that doesn't effect his left peg

Explains why he's outside of the contest too.

LostDoggy
16-10-2015, 07:41 AM
Bailey Dale has the look and body of a 14 year old hasn't stopped him.

But Bailey Dale is 14…

Isn't he?…

Murphy'sLore
16-10-2015, 08:44 AM
Nah, you're thinking of Clay Smith. Bailey Dale is 31.

Mofra
16-10-2015, 11:41 AM
Each passing day I'm more comfortable with this signing.
Anderson worth pick 15? Suckling was ahead of him and we get him for nothing.
Melksham for pick #25? Suckling is better, much better.

Twodogs
16-10-2015, 08:23 PM
If we can free him up and make space for him then that left peg is a weapon. Has he played in the midfield?

1eyedog
17-10-2015, 12:00 AM
If we can free him up and make space for him then that left peg is a weapon. Has he played in the midfield?

I've never seen him play in the middle. He's not an insider and they use Hill, Burgoyne and Smith on the outside.

Remi Moses
17-10-2015, 02:47 AM
Looking at some of the trades and offers on the table, he's a bargain

S Coast Simon
17-10-2015, 04:01 AM
I have been a fan for a long time. Wanted him a couple of years ago. Can see him on a wing delivering with precision into the forward line. Surely big Tom is happy with this signing

ledge
17-10-2015, 08:48 AM
It's definitely a list improvement, he is better than any we have delisted.

dog town
17-10-2015, 09:56 AM
We rarely deliver to a standard forward line with guys sitting deep and others coming up at the footy. The only time we really do that is out of a centre clearance or if we win the ball back with our press as the opposition tries to exit our 50. He will be at his most damaging when we break out of the back half. He will be able get it long and out the back to open space to guys like Stringer and Crameri. Bit of an extra weapon to break opposition press with those long penetrating kicks. Our set up is ideal for that. Only works if he comes with the right attitude though.

BornInDroopSt'54
17-10-2015, 11:23 AM
Bevo has an experienced view of Suckling's ability and his potential to fit into our game plan and how Suckling's leg cannon can benefit our potent forward set up with T. Boyd added to this year's group. Oh yeh.
Libba wins contested ball handpasses to Wallis, handpasses to Suckling, has T. Boyd or Stringer on the lead....Potent variation on what we produced this year.

EasternWest
17-10-2015, 07:00 PM
I have been a fan for a long time. Wanted him a couple of years ago. Can see him on a wing delivering with precision into the forward line. Surely big Tom is happy with this signing

Hey mate. I see you don't post often. Good to see you chipping in!

I too am happy to have him. Costs us nothing and has a, dare I say it, "leg cannon".

Smads57
24-10-2015, 04:04 PM
I seem to remember a few years ago when Matt was out due to a long term injury, that Hawk supporters were looking forward to him returning to the side. Welcome aboard Matt.

SquirrelGrip
24-10-2015, 05:41 PM
So Matt will be running around in #1 now I think... Can't wait!

LostDoggy
24-10-2015, 09:10 PM
Not sure about you guys but I almost feel like you could describe his leg as a cannon? :p

Ghost Dog
03-04-2016, 03:55 PM
How's he trekking? Getting what we expected from Matt.
Some points.
Go to the replay of our game V Freemantle - 1:29, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZs3Ngbe5zs)
Has a low chance shot at goal, with Tom at the top of the square.
Add the dribble kicks from yesterday, plus dropping off a bit late in the game, agree with some that some more intensity and team centred play might be the order. Looks pretty fit though and don't think he's carrying that much extra weight.

chef
03-04-2016, 04:15 PM
Hes been good. Hes been exactly what i thought he'd be

F'scary
03-04-2016, 04:20 PM
Been solid enough so far but has a few breathing down his neck: Jong, Dale, Webb. Dickson to come back. If a taller CHB is brought in (e.g. Hamling) and Wood goes to HBF there will be pressure to drop a mid.

He needs to use his leg cannon more. That is his big point of difference.

bornadog
03-04-2016, 05:05 PM
Great spearing pass to JJ from the backline, then JJ the long kick to Picken and goal. End to end stuff that was great to watch.

see here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2016-04-02/slick-dogs-go-coasttocoast)

F'scary
03-04-2016, 05:43 PM
Great spearing pass to JJ from the backline, then JJ the long kick to Picken and goal. End to end stuff that was great to watch.

see here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2016-04-02/slick-dogs-go-coasttocoast)

More of that, less of his lairising.

Scorlibo
03-04-2016, 05:52 PM

That was a great piece of play and displayed a sort of harmony between JJ and Suckling that usually comes with more games played together. JJ knew that Suckling had the foot skills to make that pass and Suckling knew that JJ could accelerate into the space faster than the opposition players could close it up.

The bulldog tragician
03-04-2016, 07:26 PM
It takes a while to settle into the chemistry of a new club. I noticed a few times he seemed to be in reasonable spots but was ignored by teammates. It might seem strange that a premiership player can be unsure of himself but i think he seems a bit anxious/over eager rather than lairy, but time will tell.

Ghost Dog
03-04-2016, 07:33 PM
It takes a while to settle into the chemistry of a new club. I noticed a few times he seemed to be in reasonable spots but was ignored by teammates. It might seem strange that a premiership player can be unsure of himself but i think he seems a bit anxious/over eager rather than lairy, but time will tell.

Good observation.
Certainly not one of those 'leg canons' who dislikes body contact. Goes hard in and under when he has to.

Maddog37
03-04-2016, 08:51 PM
I know there will be times he makes you feel like tearing your hair out but I am surprised at how much I enjoy watching him play. Very interesting player and will get better when our players completely understand his kicking depth.

Big upgrade on J Grant.

hujsh
03-04-2016, 10:56 PM
I know there will be times he makes you feel like tearing your hair out but I am surprised at how much I enjoy watching him play. Very interesting player and will get better when our players completely understand his kicking depth.

Big upgrade on J Grant.

I just heard someone's heart break.

Twodogs
03-04-2016, 11:56 PM
I like what he brings to the team apart from some low percentage shots at goal. That's easy enough to fix though.

Ozza
04-04-2016, 09:59 AM
As Maddog alluded to, he will be a player that will frustrate supporters at time - but he also has some brilliant attributes that he brings to the side. He has started well for us - but obviously a couple of 'tear the hair out moments' in there.

azabob
04-04-2016, 10:08 AM
As well as tear out the hair moments at Hawthorn he even had punch the wall moments...

always right
04-04-2016, 10:30 AM
He has a habit of holding onto the ball too long. Hopefully he addresses this and goes with his first option.

GVGjr
04-04-2016, 06:42 PM
As Maddog alluded to, he will be a player that will frustrate supporters at time - but he also has some brilliant attributes that he brings to the side. He has started well for us - but obviously a couple of 'tear the hair out moments' in there.

Given he is an established player I hope the coaches don't just accept it as part of the player they recruited. I'd also hope Suckling wants to improve. It's great to get an experienced player and one who has experienced what should be the ultimate goal for all players but he needs to be just as hungry for success with us.

bulldogtragic
16-04-2016, 09:28 PM
Some these kicks are insane from him tonight. That Stringer pass... Wow.

1eyedog
16-04-2016, 09:30 PM
I know absolute cannon and a heap of arrogance too. Liking him lots.

Greystache
16-04-2016, 09:48 PM
He was very good last week but he's been brilliant so far today.

bulldogtragic
16-04-2016, 09:51 PM
The membership department are running that competition about it not being about gambling. They're losing big bucks. We can pay the debt off with simple betting.

Suckling, a wheelie bin, a footy and 50 metre difference. And offer odds against him missing.

hujsh
16-04-2016, 11:36 PM
Thought he was also important defensively tonight after coming back on the ground. Provided more stability

GVGjr
16-04-2016, 11:37 PM
Thought he was also important defensively tonight after coming back on the ground. Provided more stability

Agreed, lets hope he is still available next week.

Bulldog4life
16-04-2016, 11:48 PM
He kicks like John MacEnroe serves. Body facing sharp left and ball goes sharp right. Very happy with Matty.

Go_Dogs
17-04-2016, 12:30 PM
I'd hoped he would be a solid addition to our side, and he is performing above expectation to date.

Just need him to pull up ok from the ankle, because he's become a very important piece of our puzzle now given the injuries to Bob and JJ.

stefoid
17-04-2016, 03:14 PM
He has a habit of holding onto the ball too long. Hopefully he addresses this and goes with his first option.

Im not sure he can kick on the run, can he? His best kick seems to be off a couple of steps. If he is a stop and prop type of ball user, he needs to know where the ball is going before he gets it.

GVGjr
17-04-2016, 08:04 PM
Im not sure he can kick on the run, can he? His best kick seems to be off a couple of steps. If he is a stop and prop type of ball user, he needs to know where the ball is going before he gets it.

I tend to agree with this, when he is running and bouncing the ball he is less lethal with his kicking and he is off a few paces.

1eyedog
17-04-2016, 08:06 PM
Wasn't his long bomb from 55 last night off the back of a run and bounce?

GVGjr
17-04-2016, 08:10 PM
Wasn't his long bomb from 55 last night off the back of a run and bounce?

I noticed earlier in the season that he ran into the 50 at pace and his kicking was as accurate.

bulldogtragic
29-05-2016, 06:32 PM
Insert love below.

EasternWest
29-05-2016, 06:32 PM
Love

AndrewP6
29-05-2016, 06:39 PM
I love Matt Suckling. There, I said it.

Testekill
29-05-2016, 06:46 PM
We have badly missed him

comrade
29-05-2016, 06:47 PM
Welcome back you beautiful pig.

bornadog
29-05-2016, 07:47 PM
22 disposals, 7 marks and a clutch goal, you bloody beauty.

Twodogs
29-05-2016, 08:52 PM
I love you Matthew Suckling!!!!?!!!

F'scary
29-05-2016, 08:54 PM
The man. The man.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-05-2016, 09:30 PM
Love watching him play, we've missed him.

Smart players who use the ball well are worth their weight in gold and that goal was clutch and outstanding!

azabob
29-05-2016, 09:33 PM
Fair to say he has exceeded our expectations. He is improving his defensive efforts also.

comrade
29-05-2016, 09:34 PM
I didn't see much of him at the Hawks, but he seemed to be on the fringe - more icing than cake.

I've been surprised how committed and involved he's been each week he's played. I was expecting a 15-20 possession type player who floated in and out of the game but he's much, much more than that.

Fantastic pick up.

bulldogtragic
29-05-2016, 09:39 PM
I've gotta say I had as a dead Cert for that goal. It's nice to have that feeling in a bloke kicking from 50 out at a crunch moment. Plus it was a 60m kick and near enough to dead centre. His kicking generally is as good as anyone we've ever had, some of the kicks he executes seem arrogant and crazy and keeps hitting targets. Was it one of his worm burners today that nearly knocked the marker off his feet?

Ozza
30-05-2016, 02:54 PM
He's such a smart player. It's that Hawthorn smarts that they've had. His positioning is fantastic.

A few seconds before he marked that ball at the 50, I said to my Dad - 'look at Suckling, quick clearing kick from Collingwood will go straight to him if they get it.' He was just ideally positioned. Nobody either side of him for 10 metres, slightly boundary side and 40 metres back from where the stoppage was happening. I've never been happier for us to lose a clearance.

comrade
30-05-2016, 03:59 PM
He's such a smart player. It's that Hawthorn smarts that they've had. His positioning is fantastic.

A few seconds before he marked that ball at the 50, I said to my Dad - 'look at Suckling, quick clearing kick from Collingwood will go straight to him if they get it.' He was just ideally positioned. Nobody either side of him for 10 metres, slightly boundary side and 40 metres back from where the stoppage was happening. I've never been happier for us to lose a clearance.

And on the perfect side for his left hoof.

1eyedog
30-05-2016, 04:13 PM
I didn't see much of him at the Hawks, but he seemed to be on the fringe - more icing than cake.

I've been surprised how committed and involved he's been each week he's played. I was expecting a 15-20 possession type player who floated in and out of the game but he's much, much more than that.

Fantastic pick up.

I think he was that at Hawthorn but he has gone to another level with us. Must really love being at the club and playing with the guys.

bulldogtragic
30-05-2016, 04:17 PM
I'd be happy if almost all players taking a set shot 45+ out from goal hand balled to Suckling for a running shot from 55+. The way Stevie J & Buddy (in particular) do to great effect.

jeemak
30-05-2016, 04:19 PM
I can't wait to have Suckling joined by JJ after the break for the second half of the year. If we keep these guys fit and firing we're a chance to get some quick movement back and get the penetration by foot and run to get the ball deep and behind pressing defencive structures like the one Collingwood employed Sunday.

Mofra
30-05-2016, 04:34 PM
He actually crashed a contest and kept the ball in front of him to kill a contest we were outnumbered against.

We knew about his footskills but he's actually bringing experience and positioning to the table. Considering he was a FA signing we've done very well here.

Ozza
30-05-2016, 04:34 PM
Have others noticed how if Suckling ever kicks short - he sprints 50-60m to be an option for either the player he kicked it to, or for the next kick? In a game like yesterday, where it was hard to find options & space, it is really good play.

Twodogs
30-05-2016, 04:50 PM
I'm fascinated with his kicking action on the run. It's almost an American drop punt because he takes it out wide and kind of lets it hang in the air before punting it more than kicking it. It's effective whatever it is.

jeemak
30-05-2016, 04:57 PM
Have others noticed how if Suckling ever kicks short - he sprints 50-60m to be an option for either the player he kicked it to, or for the next kick? In a game like yesterday, where it was hard to find options & space, it is really good play.

Yep, I've noticed it more than once and it's something the Hawks were good at employing to break through congested presses. A little bit goes a long way in unsettling a defencive structure.

The Pie Man
30-05-2016, 05:06 PM
I'm fascinated with his kicking action on the run. It's almost an American drop punt because he takes it out wide and kind of lets it hang in the air before punting it more than kicking it. It's effective whatever it is.

It's not Australian Rules textbook - Wayne Ludbey (HS photographer) tweeted some great photos of his set shot yesterday, and the ball was in mid air around hip height with his hands nowhere near it in one frame. Looks like he leans back a bit at point of contact as well.

He certainly gets it done though - it's awesome!

bornadog
30-05-2016, 05:27 PM

I noticed a few times he took the kick in and next thing he is outside the 50 mtr arc providing another option.

jeemak
30-05-2016, 05:34 PM
It's not Australian Rules textbook - Wayne Ludbey (HS photographer) tweeted some great photos of his set shot yesterday, and the ball was in mid air around hip height with his hands nowhere near it in one frame. Looks like he leans back a bit at point of contact as well.

He certainly gets it done though - it's awesome!

https://twitter.com/WLudbey?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauth or

bornadog
30-05-2016, 05:45 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CjnMmQWVEAAsPlb.jpg

bornadog
30-05-2016, 05:46 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CjnMmR6UgAAwoet.jpg

bulldogtragic
30-05-2016, 05:48 PM
I don't know why he persists trying with the hair & beard to look like the last jumper #1 wearer though.

bornadog
30-05-2016, 05:49 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CjnMmTpVEAA4Igz.jpg

Bulldog4life
30-05-2016, 05:50 PM
I don't know why he persists trying with the hair & beard to look like the last jumper #1 wearer though.

He is doing it for you BT.

Remi Moses
30-05-2016, 05:53 PM
Very Doc Wheildon look that one .
Been excellent, he kicks like a soccer goalkeeper taking a goal kick .

Twodogs
30-05-2016, 07:16 PM
A soccer goalie. That's what he kicks like.

Hey Remi. Could you imagine turning up to training and kicking the ball like that when we were kids? The coach would have yelled "take it seriously or go home"

1eyedog
30-05-2016, 08:01 PM
I've been to a number of Hawthorn home games and the whole crowd used to wind up when Suckers got it. Like some kind of siren was going off or critical mass was about to be reached until he kicked it.

1eyedog
30-05-2016, 08:02 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CjnMmR6UgAAwoet.jpg

Massive amount of force. Can't believe how much he lays back on it while being so accurate. A fine art.

jeemak
30-05-2016, 08:52 PM
Massive amount of force. Can't believe how much he lays back on it while being so accurate. A fine art.

Check his shoulders though, still hunched over at the point of contact which makes a massive difference to stability. If his left shoulder was already opened up and the right was following the kick wouldn't have travelled the distance.

comrade
30-05-2016, 09:14 PM
I have a question. Why is Roberts taking kick outs when we have the Suckling leg cannon locked and loaded?

Bulldog4life
30-05-2016, 09:16 PM
I have a question. Why is Roberts taking kick outs when we have the Suckling leg cannon locked and loaded?

Yes I was thinking the same thing yesterday.

bulldogtragic
30-05-2016, 09:16 PM

Fair question. Roberts should not be taking kick out's, for whatever strengthes he has kicking out is not one of them.

jeemak
30-05-2016, 09:45 PM

The second kick out of defence is harder than the first and I'd much rather Suckling on that. Having said that, Suckling did take a few yesterday and coaches like to mix things up.

comrade
30-05-2016, 09:58 PM
The second kick out of defence is harder than the first and I'd much rather Suckling on that. Having said that, Suckling did take a few yesterday and coaches like to mix things up.

GWS uses Shaw exclusively and he just kicks it to himself, runs 10 metres then either finds a short target or smashes it long. I'd prefer Suckling do that than Roberts always taking the long option.

kruder
30-05-2016, 09:59 PM
Even his low flat kick under pressure in the backline which released Dickson on the wing and ended up in the Wood goal in the last, few players could have kicked. I thought he was fantastic yesterday and as expected a real weapon at the G. As soon as he took that mark in the last I had a flashback to his goal at 3 quarter time in the prelim last year basically at the same spot which he also kicked. Its nice to know that he can perform when the big moments come around when so many Bulldogs in the past haven't.

jeemak
30-05-2016, 10:04 PM
GWS uses Shaw exclusively and he just kicks it to himself, runs 10 metres then either finds a short target or smashes it long. I'd prefer Suckling do that than Roberts always taking the long option.

If you let him, Shaw does, but remember teams give up the easy one between 20 and 40 metres in order to put pressure on the second one and turn it over on the wing and launch again. The second kick out is the most important and I want our best kick on it.

comrade
30-05-2016, 10:11 PM
If you let him, Shaw does, but remember teams give up the easy one between 20 and 40 metres in order to put pressure on the second one and turn it over on the wing and launch again. The second kick out is the most important and I want our best kick on it.

I can't recall Roberts hitting up and releasing Suckling to take the 2nd kick too often. We miss Bob and JJ for this role.

jeemak
30-05-2016, 10:22 PM
I can't recall Roberts hitting up and releasing Suckling to take the 2nd kick too often. We miss Bob and JJ for this role.

Roberts' disposal isn't his issue, but I take your point. I also agree we need to get JJ into the side as quickly as possible given Suckling is the only player I trust with that next kick out of defence at present. Teams have shut down Matt Boyd and Biggs really well this year because they're the top echelon of users in our defencive half alongside Suckling, and we need them to be 3 and 4 in that regard.

soupman
30-05-2016, 10:26 PM
Speaking of his leg cannon he nearly kicked it to the middle of the ground with one of his kick outs.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-05-2016, 10:57 PM
I've been to a number of Hawthorn home games and the whole crowd used to wind up when Suckers got it. Like some kind of siren was going off or critical mass was about to be reached until he kicked it.

It's starting to happen at our games too.

Every time he got near it there were calls of "Suckersss!" and I was one of them!

Rocco Jones
30-05-2016, 11:01 PM
I get that the 2nd kick is harder but it is no guarantee we will get it to Suckling for that kick every time.

Hurn and Shaw take their team's kicks. What about other team's with gun kicks in the back line?

jeemak
30-05-2016, 11:31 PM
I get that the 2nd kick is harder but it is no guarantee we will get it to Suckling for that kick every time.

Hurn and Shaw take their team's kicks. What about other team's with gun kicks in the back line?

Which is why Suckling will take the kick-out from time to time.

Seriously, what's the level of predictability going to look like if we make Suckling take the majority of kick-outs? This isn't 2008 where a flank is wide open more often than not and a guy like Lindsay Gilbee or Matt Suckling can just pick out targets at will. Teams set up so they can take the best advantage from a kick-out, normally that involves a strategy that gives the best chance of retaining the ball and getting the ball into the hands of the best users in the side. The best kick in the team doesn't need to take the kick that goes to a position on the field in a set piece.

comrade
31-05-2016, 12:58 AM
Which is why Suckling will take the kick-out from time to time.

Seriously, what's the level of predictability going to look like if we make Suckling take the majority of kick-outs? This isn't 2008 where a flank is wide open more often than not and a guy like Lindsay Gilbee or Matt Suckling can just pick out targets at will. Teams set up so they can take the best advantage from a kick-out, normally that involves a strategy that gives the best chance of retaining the ball and getting the ball into the hands of the best users in the side. The best kick in the team doesn't need to take the kick that goes to a position on the field in a set piece.

It's not just the act of kicking but the decision making also. Roberts isn't confident to execute any type of kick out besides the long option to towards the flanks. Extremely predictable and our best hope is usually to kill the ball and get a stoppage.

jeemak
31-05-2016, 01:09 AM
It's not just the act of kicking but the decision making also. Roberts isn't confident to execute any type of kick out besides the long option to towards the flanks. Extremely predictable and our best hope is usually to kill the ball and get a stoppage.

What if that's the plan?

Don't you think that if you or I could figure Suckling kicking out, or someone else kicking out might be better the coaches might have an inclination to try those things as well?

As I said in my previous post, there's a reason why teams give away the first kick out of defence, it's just some teams allow it to go deeper than other teams do. When we want to go long (which is quite often) Fletch suits that plan really well because he is a reasonable to good kick, can kick it long, and has to stay at home once it's done.

I really don't see what the problem is.

LostDoggy
31-05-2016, 02:23 AM
'Suckerssss' is going to be very very important around mid to late September, we just have to get him there.

LostDoggy
31-05-2016, 11:08 AM
Agree about Suckling kicking in more. For one thing, if a guy can kick it anywhere up to 65 metres, it means a broader space for the opposition to cover which opens opportunities. I'd like to see some set plays involving a few 20 metre kickouts to a loose man, then following up and receiving for a long kick beyond the centreline to a designated target. A few of these can mess with opposition defensive structures.

Aside from his disposal, what I am enjoying most about Suckling is the way he has fitted into the team. He seems to be really enjoying it as a Dog and the other players seem to love him being there. Some bigger name recruits can seem a little separate from the team but Suckling looks right at home.

EasternWest
31-05-2016, 11:52 AM
Agree about Suckling kicking in more. For one thing, if a guy can kick it anywhere up to 65 metres, it means a broader space for the opposition to cover which opens opportunities. I'd like to see some set plays involving a few 20 metre kickouts to a loose man, then following up and receiving for a long kick beyond the centreline to a designated target. A few of these can mess with opposition defensive structures.

Aside from his disposal, what I am enjoying most about Suckling is the way he has fitted into the team. He seems to be really enjoying it as a Dog and the other players seem to love him being there. Some bigger name recruits can seem a little separate from the team but Suckling looks right at home.

Yeah they seem to love him, and he seems happy to be there. It's win win. Another astute pick up.

bornadog
31-05-2016, 11:53 AM
Some of Sucklings great kicking here (http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/western-bulldogs-recruit-matt-suckling-proved-his-value-against-collingwood/news-story/81698e9a708266e6fafcd9fc87505716)

1eyedog
31-05-2016, 12:14 PM
Some of Sucklings great kicking here (http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/western-bulldogs-recruit-matt-suckling-proved-his-value-against-collingwood/news-story/81698e9a708266e6fafcd9fc87505716)

Has a golf handicap of 3.

LostDoggy
31-05-2016, 05:36 PM
Yeah they seem to love him, and he seems happy to be there. It's win win. Another astute pick up.

Yes and you don't have a haircut like that if your not happy.

F'scary
31-05-2016, 07:20 PM
He's the Jeff Thomson of AFL. Unorthodox but gets better results on one of the most important parameters.

Throughandthrough
31-05-2016, 10:05 PM
I thought he was our best player on Sunday. Sensational match.

Twodogs
31-05-2016, 10:20 PM
He's the Jeff Thomson of AFL. Unorthodox but gets better results on one of the most important parameters.

Good call. Hawthorn to us is like Thommo going from NSW to QLD.

bornadog
25-07-2016, 12:56 PM
Really needs to pull his finger out after his disgraceful kicking on the weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsDKdM122wA

Sorry for bad quality video

chef
25-07-2016, 12:58 PM
Gee, wasn't that many games ago people were raving about his form and kicking. Had a shocker but wasn't alone.

comrade
25-07-2016, 01:11 PM
One of the most disappointing games I've seen. Chose the millionaire option, kicked it like a dole bludger.

Deserved to get a massive chip from the coaching staff.

Mofra
25-07-2016, 01:20 PM
Will Bevo give him a week in the twos?
Morris out means one tall comes in - Geelong play tall and we rested both Zaine and Hamling. We know Bevo cares little about reputation and a little reminder might be enough to get his head back in the game.

stefoid
25-07-2016, 03:42 PM
generalization: any team can bring defensive pressure - its more about effort than skill. What separates the good teams from the bad is the ability to handle pressure, and on the weekend, both the saints and the dogs were almost equally bad at that. I say almost because St Kilda was slightly less horrible than we were, and correspondingly won by a small margin.

That difference can be attributed to a couple of individuals playing for the dogs, of which Jong was the standout offender with a mind-blowing 9 clangers, but Suckling also very important for St Kilda given the position on the ground where his turnovers happened.

Sedat
25-07-2016, 04:28 PM
generalization: any team can bring defensive pressure - its more about effort than skill. What separates the good teams from the bad is the ability to handle pressure, and on the weekend, both the saints and the dogs were almost equally bad at that. I say almost because St Kilda was slightly less horrible than we were, and correspondingly won by a small margin.
It was a comically bad game of football with diabolical skill level on display from both teams - I was chuckling to myself when the ground announcers were trying to convince the crowd what a ripping game it was at half time.

Suckers made some truly dreadful howlers but just because his howlers were so high profile doesn't give most of the other team a free pass. There were some horrendous decision-making errors and flat-out clangers on display most of the night - guys like Caleb and Libba were as guilty as some of the others already mentioned.

Our men of mayhem brand of keeping the ball locked into our forward 50 from earlier in the year has virtually disappeared, which causes players further up the field to panic with their kicking into forward 50. It needs to be rectified and quickly, because the Cats defenders will have a picnic this week if it is repeated by us.

bornadog
25-07-2016, 04:41 PM
Our men of mayhem brand of keeping the ball locked into our forward 50 from earlier in the year has virtually disappeared, which causes players further up the field to panic with their kicking into forward 50. It needs to be rectified and quickly, because the Cats defenders will have a picnic this week if it is repeated by us.

On display against Suns, but yeah has been missing some weeks

GVGjr
25-07-2016, 08:22 PM
Gee, wasn't that many games ago people were raving about his form and kicking. Had a shocker but wasn't alone.

I wasn't one of them, he's been escaping the focus because we have been winning. People will on occasions accept sub par performances from players when we win and then go hard when we lose for the same mistakes. Lloyd is right, more clubs would drop a player who performed the way he did.

Suckling has been playing loose footy for a while and needs to start using his skills better. I suspect he hasn't been getting called out from the coaches before this week.

hujsh
26-07-2016, 11:14 AM
Has to be dropped.

Hopefully he'll respond like Crameri did last year

1eyedog
26-07-2016, 11:37 AM
Has to be dropped.

Won't be and I hope he's not. He shanked three kicks and had a bad game but he has been very good for us all year. That's the way he plays and Bevo knows it and he's not going to drop a player for three errant kicks. It's not the reason we lost. Barrett is way off the mark stating that for each one of Suckling's great kicks there are three bad ones. I've hardly seen him miss all year.

Plus, aside from the shanks he was ok defensively on Saturday night.

Webby
26-07-2016, 01:03 PM
Has to be dropped.

Although I agree that he was horrific on Saturday, I reckon he's banked enough goodwill to be backed in for one more game. To me, he appears to have tried to take his game up to a new level. He clearly overreached in doing so, and crashed and burned as a result.

I think he's had his check. His wings have been clipped and he'll pull back to basic fundamentals this week. Besides, we need his experience on Friday.

Ghost Dog
26-07-2016, 01:28 PM
Like to see him dropped. Think Bailey Dale can give us the same, with better intensity.

Mantis
26-07-2016, 01:31 PM
Like to see him dropped. Think Bailey Dale can give us the same, with better intensity.

Lol.

When has Bailey shown:

1/ the ability to win the ball
2/ the ability to defend

LostDoggy
26-07-2016, 01:42 PM
Suckling is turning into the whipping boy because he's errors stick out like dogs.... He wasn't our only problem Saturday night. Jong, Stevens, Wallis and Libba failing to make any impact didn't help also.

He's had a couple of bad games lately, Saturday night and the Sydney game spring to mind. But he's also had some very good performances, was our best against Geelong, Was very good last week against Gold Coast and was very good again against Richmond.

No doubt Saturday night was a horror match from him. The mistakes he made were horrific. I think that in itself will be a wake up call for him.

No way would I be dropping him though. As others have stated he has actually been pretty good defensively, which many thought would be his downfall.

SlimPickens
26-07-2016, 02:24 PM
Suckling is turning into the whipping boy because he's errors stick out like dogs.... He wasn't our only problem Saturday night. Jong, Stevens, Wallis and Libba failing to make any impact didn't help also.

He's had a couple of bad games lately, Saturday night and the Sydney game spring to mind. But he's also had some very good performances, was our best against Geelong, Was very good last week against Gold Coast and was very good again against Richmond.

No doubt Saturday night was a horror match from him. The mistakes he made were horrific. I think that in itself will be a wake up call for him.

No way would I be dropping him though. As others have stated he has actually been pretty good defensively, which many thought would be his downfall.

Balanced post. I agree he had a mare Saturday night but overall I have been very pleased with his year so far. Doubt he will get dropped and nor does he deserve to be.

hujsh
26-07-2016, 02:41 PM
Won't be and I hope he's not. He shanked three kicks and had a bad game but he has been very good for us all year. That's the way he plays and Bevo knows it and he's not going to drop a player for three errant kicks. It's not the reason we lost. Barrett is way off the mark stating that for each one of Suckling's great kicks there are three bad ones. I've hardly seen him miss all year.

Although I agree that he was horrific on Saturday, I reckon he's banked enough goodwill to be backed in for one more game. To me, he appears to have tried to take his game up to a new level. He clearly overreached in doing so, and crashed and burned as a result.

I think he's had his check. His wings have been clipped and he'll pull back to basic fundamentals this week. Besides, we need his experience on Friday.

I'm not so sure that he's built that much good will. I feel he's been very costly the last month or so. I don't have a problem so much with his defending as I do his inability to consistently hit targets. And I don't mean the occasional brilliant kick that may or may not come off, I mean the basics. Maybe it's that teams have figured out he has to kick around the corner and certainly has no right foot and they're better able to pressure his kicks?

Whatever it is he's been underwhelming.

EasternWest
26-07-2016, 04:55 PM

He's being picked on because of his terrible decision making/basic skill execution and because of his refusal to commit his body. Those other players you mentioned aren't being singled out because there isn't any problem with their effort, and nor do they try to be too clever or cute. Let's keep a sense of perspective on this rather than say he's a "whipping boy". He's deserving of the whack he's getting.

He has had some very good games for us, and when his kicking is on it's sublime. We picked him up for those reasons, and not at a cheap price, so it's fair enough that he shoulders some attention when he's not doing his bit.

I hope the coach has had some stern words for him and her responds with a solid game this week, because I think he has been poor for a number of weeks.

bornadog
26-07-2016, 05:08 PM
He's being picked on because of his terrible decision making/basic skill execution and because of his refusal to commit his body. Those other players you mentioned aren't being singled out because there isn't any problem with their effort, and nor do they try to be too clever or cute. Let's keep a sense of perspective on this rather than say he's a "whipping boy". He's deserving of the whack he's getting.

He has had some very good games for us, and when his kicking is on it's sublime. We picked him up for those reasons, and not at a cheap price, so it's fair enough that he shoulders some attention when he's not doing his bit.

I hope the coach has had some stern words for him and her responds with a solid game this week, because I think he has been poor for a number of weeks.

Spot on EW, some of the kicking on Saturday was woeful. It was his worse game and we know he can do better. I am sure he would be disappointed with himself and will work on it and come out Friday with a better effort.

GVGjr
26-07-2016, 06:42 PM

I hear you but the wins have covered up some very poor games by Suckling. I don't think he has played as well in recent weeks as you seem to indicate.

I expect more from him but I agree he is unlikely to be dropped.

Remi Moses
26-07-2016, 08:08 PM

Seen Bailey play? Gotta a few weaknesses in his game .
Suckling had a shocker, but dropping him is a bit of a knee jerk reaction

1eyedog
26-07-2016, 08:32 PM
I hear you but the wins have covered up some very poor games by Suckling. I don't think he has played as well in recent weeks as you seem to indicate.

I expect more from him but I agree he is unlikely to be dropped.

I still wonder whether that is because of his limitations as a player or whether he is still finding his way through our systems. So many times I have watched him gut run to make space on the fat side of the ground yet he is often ignored, and at times he has looked frustrated by this. I wonder also whether this is a player vision issue or whether Suckling is in the wrong spot [or a better option present itself up the ground].

Either way I think he works hard to find space but he does seem intent on providing only one option and that is to switch. I would like to see him more onside of the player with the ball. I think that will bring him into the game more, will put him in more attacking positions and probably allow him to hit up targets directly inside F50.

The on field frustration tells me he wants to be more involved. I think he'll prove his worth when the heat is on ala. the Geelong game.

ledge
26-07-2016, 09:21 PM
Suckling should be on a back flank or wing hitting our forwards or kicking long goals not kicking out at fullback. Murph and Adams missing has pushed him back and errors on the backline multiply twice as bad as it usually results in an opposition goal.
If suckling kicks long from fullback it is ok but not the dinky kicks others can do.

Hotdog60
27-07-2016, 08:48 AM
Suckling won't be dropped going by Bevo's presser, said he had an off night and it's been reviewed and excepts he'll be better this week.
Lose translation

bornadog
27-07-2016, 09:46 AM
So many times I have watched him gut run to make space on the fat side of the ground yet he is often ignored, and at times he has looked frustrated by this. I wonder also whether this is a player vision issue or whether Suckling is in the wrong spot [or a better option present itself up the ground.

Same thing use to happen to Grant last year. I think it is our own players not looking for all the options.

Nuggety Back Pocket
27-07-2016, 12:33 PM
Suckling won't be dropped going by Bevo's presser, said he had an off night and it's been reviewed and excepts he'll be better this week.
Lose translation

Suckling was fortunate to play in a premiership team but his erratic disposal as witnessed against the Saints would now not fit into the Hawks precise kicking to position. Like the Hawks we need to begin recruiting players who know how to dispose of the ball correctly .Dunkley is another who is flawed in his kicking style unlike Caleb Daniel who has excellent skills.

bornadog
27-07-2016, 12:43 PM
Suckling was fortunate to play in a premiership team but his erratic disposal as witnessed against the Saints would now not fit into the Hawks precise kicking to position. Like the Hawks we need to begin recruiting players who know how to dispose of the ball correctly .Dunkley is another who is flawed in his kicking style unlike Caleb Daniel who has excellent skills.

I think Dunkley is fine around the ground. Shooting for goal has been erratic.

LostDoggy
27-07-2016, 01:31 PM

Holy Guacamole, Dunks is doing just fine in his first season. I remember the Mitch Wallis haters in his first year...

The bulldog tragician
27-07-2016, 01:35 PM
I think sometimes while he has run to make position, some players don't have the skills/confidence to make that daring cross ground kick - the kicks need to be precise to not risk a killer turnover. I'll always remember Bob launching a perfect 50 metre kick to a running Easton wood last year, but if guys like M Boyd, Lin Jong and Shane Biggs, for all their other fine qualities, made that attempt it is likely to end badly.

bornadog
27-07-2016, 02:42 PM
I think sometimes while he has run to make position, some players don't have the skills/confidence to make that daring cross ground kick - the kicks need to be precise to not risk a killer turnover. I'll always remember Bob launching a perfect 50 metre kick to a running Easton wood last year, but if guys like M Boyd, Lin Jong and Shane Biggs, for all their other fine qualities, made that attempt it is likely to end badly.

I think this is the case when they try to kick short 15 metre kicks. Bob is pretty bad as well.

F'scary
27-07-2016, 08:11 PM
Big game from Suckers this week.

stefoid
27-07-2016, 11:46 PM
He is in a bit of a bind because its his ability to hit those dangerous risk-reward targets through the middle of the ground that makes up for his poor skills at the contest. So if he isnt able to, or doesnt dare make those kicks, then why is he in the side?

1eyedog
28-07-2016, 12:10 AM
In all honesty Biggs is a bit of a turn over merchant. He is just as likely to kick it to an opposition player as he is to one of ours, especially on the run. Very handy player but a real flaw in his game. Not sure why he isn't getting more heat for it.

bornadog
28-07-2016, 10:19 AM
In all honesty Biggs is a bit of a turn over merchant. He is just as likely to kick it to an opposition player as he is to one of ours, especially on the run. Very handy player but a real flaw in his game. Not sure why he isn't getting more heat for it.

Again its the short kicking, he is a shocker. In last years final he did the same with a kick in and gifted a goal - in a tight match it was not good. On SAturday pretty sure he kicked it to the opposition twice and also a handball.

bornadog
31-08-2016, 11:43 AM
I think Suckling should play further down the ground next week, especially if Wood comes back in.

I would like him to help deliver the ball to the forward 50 better than others have been.

1eyedog
31-08-2016, 11:44 AM
I think Suckling should play further down the ground next week, especially if Wood comes back in.

I would like him to help deliver the ball to the forward 50 better than others have been.

Good option. I think he needs a bit of the pressure off from playing down back. I'd like to see him on the wing myself.

bornadog
31-08-2016, 11:50 AM
Good option. I think he needs a bit of the pressure off from playing down back. I'd like to see him on the wing myself.

Yes that is what I am thinking - wing

kruder
31-08-2016, 11:51 AM
First of all I think he needs to prove he can kick the football at training. Its not worth playing him if his achilles doesn't allow him to kick it straight.

Axe Man
31-08-2016, 12:04 PM
First of all I think he needs to prove he can kick the football at training. Its not worth playing him if his achilles doesn't allow him to kick it straight.

Obviously I've got no idea of the nature of Suckling's injury, but personally speaking I've had problems with my achilles for a few years now and it doesn't effect my kicking whatsoever, it's running that's the problem. When you kick you aren't stretching the achilles at all.

hujsh
31-08-2016, 01:05 PM
Obviously I've got no idea of the nature of Suckling's injury, but personally speaking I've had problems with my achilles for a few years now and it doesn't effect my kicking whatsoever, it's running that's the problem. When you kick you aren't stretching the achilles at all.

The only counter I can think of to this point is that with the way Suckling kicks who knows what muscles and tendons he uses that most people don't.

always right
31-08-2016, 02:06 PM
The bloke's a liability at the moment. He's almost the last bloke I want to see with the ball...he makes Jong and Stevens look precise. For someone who was touted as a weapon with his kicking, it's staggering how much he's deteriorated over the season....injury or not.

EasternWest
31-08-2016, 07:20 PM

Totally agree. He should line up in the cheer squad.

GVGjr
31-08-2016, 07:35 PM
The bloke's a liability at the moment. He's almost the last bloke I want to see with the ball...he makes Jong and Stevens look precise. For someone who was touted as a weapon with his kicking, it's staggering how much he's deteriorated over the season....injury or not.

He's a great kick but a player who is making more poor decisions than he should.
He's trying to do the spectacular more than he should.

kruder
31-08-2016, 08:27 PM

Yeah interesting point. Continuity is a big thing in footy and he and Stevens have both struggled for it this year which surely hadn't helped. They were both very poor on the weekend I can understand if both are left out against WcE.

bulldogtragic
10-09-2016, 03:33 PM
Facing his old team in a cut throat final. I wonder if he's the player that elevates his game playing against his old team mates, or fizzes? I'm hoping it's the former and his long kicking on the MCG is what we all hope it can be.

LostDoggy
10-09-2016, 05:32 PM
He stresses me out.

comrade
10-09-2016, 10:08 PM
He stresses me out.

What was with his sprayed torp into the corridor? Does some crazy things.

Doc26
10-09-2016, 11:01 PM

And Josh Hill out bodying him in the square.

Not sold on him in our best 22.

bulldogtragic
10-09-2016, 11:04 PM

Solid arguments for him playing on the wing, or high half forward.

jeemak
10-09-2016, 11:09 PM

Not sold on him in our best 22.

Yep, both were him stuffing up. But, as a footy club we can't afford to hang people for missing a long mongrel forward when it goes inside accidentally, when the instruction to bail out with is long mongrel.

Also, Hill had the clear position and clean ball in and Suckling was either going to infringe or do what he did. Not everyone's Dale Morris, Josh Hill's a smart player and not an effort player which is why he gets a game.

The rest of Suckling's game was quite good. You don't hang a bloke for two questionable efforts in a 47 point win, especially when that person actually contributed in other ways.

comrade
10-09-2016, 11:35 PM
Yep, both were him stuffing up. But, as a footy club we can't afford to hang people for missing a long mongrel forward when it goes inside accidentally, when the instruction to bail out with is long mongrel.

Also, Hill had the clear position and clean ball in and Suckling was either going to infringe or do what he did. Not everyone's Dale Morris, Josh Hill's a smart player and not an effort player which is why he gets a game.

The rest of Suckling's game was quite good. You don't hang a bloke for two questionable efforts in a 47 point win, especially when that person actually contributed in other ways.

He was particularly good at competing aerially in the first half across our half forward line. Didn't allow WC an easy mark to relieve the pressure on multiple occasions.

Would love to see him have a game like Brodie Smith had tonight. Plenty of clean ball and fresh air in front of him, rather than constantly being under pressure deep inside defensive 50.