PDA

View Full Version : Trading

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

LostDoggy
09-08-2008, 09:45 PM
I gather that we wont be a huge participant during the trade and the draft periods because of our somewhat settled list but if we did want to change the list around is there any players with reasonable trade value that you would be willing to look at moving on?

What would you want in return? A good draft pick or what type of player?

GVGjr
10-08-2008, 09:30 AM
Just about every player is a possibility in a trade scenario however, due to circumstances some players are very unlikely to be ever traded.

My first priority would be to get another early draft selection inside of the top 25.
If that was not possible but a key forward become available then that would be worth considering.

Working on the assumption that you need to give something decent to get something decent
I would consider good offers for the likes of Boyd, Ray, Hahn, Street and Harbrow.
I don't necessarily want to lose any of these players but it's pointless rocking up to trade week if you only want to offer up someone like Eagleton.

Sockeye Salmon
10-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Just about every player is a possibility in a trade scenario however, due to circumstances some players are very unlikely to be ever traded.

My first priority would be to get another early draft selection inside of the top 25.
If that was not possible but a key forward become available then that would be worth considering.

Working on the assumption that you need to give something decent to get something decent
I would consider good offers for the likes of Boyd, Ray, Hahn, Street and Harbrow.
I don't necessarily want to lose any of these players but it's pointless rocking up to trade week if you only want to offer up someone like Eagleton.

Unless someone has asked to be traded (Street?) I wouldn't even bother to turn up.

If anyone wants any of our players they will pay way overs for them.

GVGjr
10-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Unless someone has asked to be traded (Street?) I wouldn't even bother to turn up.

If anyone wants any of our players they will pay way overs for them.

So you don't think the list needs any fine tuning or changes?
I know there is often a belief that player for player trading does nothing for the club but if we could net another early draft selection then I would be interested to hear what might be offered.

Bumper Bulldogs
10-08-2008, 12:06 PM
My thoughts would be to trade a couple of the older guys and keep the kids coming up the list,

Eagle, Mitch, Ray. This would give the likes of Ward ect a run.

Not sure the other clubs would want these guys as they will all be looking to go for good kids also.

LostDoggy
10-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Great idea.
You'll get bugger all for Eagle
I believe Hahn just re-signed
Ray name came up for the last 3 years, he won't leave now.

Mantis
10-08-2008, 12:51 PM
My thoughts would be to trade a couple of the older guys and keep the kids coming up the list,

Eagle, Mitch, Ray. This would give the likes of Ward ect a run.

Not sure the other clubs would want these guys as they will all be looking to go for good kids also.

Yeah such an old bastard... All of 22.:rolleyes:

Happy Days
10-08-2008, 01:07 PM
If we trade our first rounder, can we still use our second round pick to get Ayce?

hujsh
10-08-2008, 03:42 PM
If we trade our first rounder, can we still use our second round pick to get Ayce?

Father son bidding is before trade week so the 1st pick would probably be locked down

GetDimmaBack
10-08-2008, 05:37 PM
Trade Hahn? Hmmm....

Aren't we soft enough already?

GVGjr
10-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Trade Hahn? Hmmm....

Aren't we soft enough already?

Hahn wasn't singled out rather he is the sort of player that could be in the mix if the right offer came along.

LostDoggy
10-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Ill take Pick 89 for Tiller..

And Streety looks like hes played his last game, prob couldn't get a pick for him though

macca
10-08-2008, 08:30 PM
we should be able to do a trade with Richmond and Freo. They have a history of stuffing up their trading.

Saw machon today, against Adelaide. So glad we got rid of him. Saw him to to lay 3 tackles in the first half, and none of them stuck. His Richmond's potential now.

Has anyone seen Sam power this year ?

Scraggers
10-08-2008, 08:35 PM
we should be able to do a trade with Richmond and Freo. They have a history of stuffing up their trading.

Saw machon today, against Adelaide. So glad we got rid of him. Saw him to to lay 3 tackles in the first half, and none of them stuck. His Richmond's potential now.

Has anyone seen Sam power this year ?

He played a more consistent game today than any Bulldog !!

Dogs 24/7
10-08-2008, 08:45 PM
I'd be interested in exploring trade offers. We need a key forward target and another tall defender.

LostDoggy
10-08-2008, 10:17 PM
He played a more consistent game today than any Bulldog !!

Ironic that Tiller can get a game in our side before Sam Power (if you know what I mean):cool:

As for trades, at this point in time I'd swap Hansen for Ray.

Rocket Science
11-08-2008, 12:54 AM
I'd be interested in exploring trade offers. We need a key forward target and another tall defender.

It feels like Groundhog Day.

craigsahibee
11-08-2008, 08:30 AM
Ironic that Tiller can get a game in our side before Sam Power (if you know what I mean):cool:

As for trades, at this point in time I'd swap Hansen for Ray.

Tht's not a bad option. If Kerr does leave the eagles they will be looking for midfield speed. Although Hansen has suffered some niggling type injuries over the last 2 years, his lead up role from Half Forward is suitable to our style. He can wax with Murph in that role.

Rocket Science
11-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Great!...looking forward to the edge-of-your-seat thrill that comes with sweating on a week-to-week basis on the fitness of both our CHB (Williams) AND our CHF (Hansen).

Truth be known, I don't mind the cut of Hansen's jib. We could do worse.

Desipura
11-08-2008, 01:57 PM
I gather that we wont be a huge participant during the trade and the draft periods because of our somewhat settled list but if we did want to change the list around is there any players with reasonable trade value that you would be willing to look at moving on?

What would you want in return? A good draft pick or what type of player?
Eagleton must be retired at years end.
Likely trade: Ray (if you got a 2nd round pick you would have to consider
Tiller:
Street:

On a side note: I am worried where Minson is at this stage of his career. Will he get any better?
At the moment he is a 2nd ruckman who is an average fwd IMHO. I like my fwds to be able to take a mark on a lead as well as in a contested situation. One of his assets is his physique yet he does not take enough contested marks.
He does ruck well in bursts however when was the last time he rucked for the majority of a game? Does he have the tank, will he ever? Am I being too harsh? I know big men take longer to mature......however has he got what it takes to take his game to a higher level?

I know for a fact Adelaide rate him very highly.
Would we gain anything by trading him to an Adelaide and picking up a Kosi for say a 2nd rounder? I think we would. Firstly I believe Kosi needs a change and has proven he can take his game to a high level. Whilst he is sadly out of form at present, a change of clubs could possibly see him capture that form of 2006 for memory when he was playing with confidence. (I can vivdly recall a game against us at the MCG where he kicked 4 and took a dozen marks.

Go_Dogs
11-08-2008, 05:22 PM
On a side note: I am worried where Minson is at this stage of his career. Will he get any better?

I thought he was pretty good yesterday, took a few good marks up forwards and down back, and generally provided a good contest around the ground and at the stoppages. He still needs to become a little more agile to make more of his stints up forwards, but he's coming along pretty well. He's still a young guy, and has had a few years pretty much ruined by injury.

He'd be on my 'must keep' list at this stage, unless a very favorable deal arises.

hujsh
11-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Eagleton must be retired at years end.
Likely trade: Ray (if you got a 2nd round pick you would have to consider
Tiller:
Street:

At the moment he is a 2nd ruckman who is an average fwd IMHO. I like my fwds to be able to take a mark on a lead as well as in a contested situation. One of his assets is his physique yet he does not take enough contested marks.
He does ruck well in bursts however when was the last time he rucked for the majority of a game? Does he have the tank, will he ever? Am I being too harsh? I know big men take longer to mature......however has he got what it takes to take his game to a higher level?

I know for a fact Adelaide rate him very highly.
Would we gain anything by trading him to an Adelaide and picking up a Kosi for say a 2nd rounder? I think we would. Firstly I believe Kosi needs a change and has proven he can take his game to a high level. Whilst he is sadly out of form at present, a change of clubs could possibly see him capture that form of 2006 for memory when he was playing with confidence. (I can vivdly recall a game against us at the MCG where he kicked 4 and took a dozen marks.

I think Minson (like most ruckmen) will breakout when needed.

LostDoggy
12-08-2008, 08:41 AM
i don't see will going any where I think he is proforming his role in the Foward line well he is an ok kick for goal and believe he plays down there to make a contest I think his instruction is if you can't mark it bring it to ground so I crumbers can have a crack, then they put him in the ruck to rest Huddo. With Street and Skipper more likely to leave than to stay I wouldn't see them moving Will, Street and Skipper all in the same year and relying on Huddo who lets face it is towards the end of his career and Ayce who is just about to biggin his. Ruckman do take time to develop and I think will has had a good year to date.so hopefully by the time Huddo retires Will would have asserted himself as the no 1 ruck man with Ayce doing a Will type role as he develops.

Hann I think is a untouchable because of his physical presence up forward and he is the only Bash and crash type guy we have.

Ray I would see as the only person with Market Value that they may consider for the right deal but I don't see them being to active in Draft week this year because there really isn't to many spots that need filling. Besides a KP player but lets dace it every club says they want a KP player.

I think if they could pick up Cousins it might be worth a punt he obviously is going to be kept on a short leash rom the AFL if a return is made he would still take a quality player to contain and possibly free up a Cooney or Griffen also. I know he comes with baggage but if the price is right (draft and salery which I expect he will) why not. He won't have the Rockstar image he had in Perth because its not about the AFL in Perth it is about the West Coast Eagles it is a whole different world over there so he was a big fish in a small pond if he played in Melbourne he would be a smaller fish in a bloody big ocean.

Desipura
12-08-2008, 09:27 AM
i don't see will going any where I think he is proforming his role in the Foward line well he is an ok kick for goal and believe he plays down there to make a contest I think his instruction is if you can't mark it bring it to ground so I crumbers can have a crack, then they put him in the ruck to rest Huddo. With Street and Skipper more likely to leave than to stay I wouldn't see them moving Will, Street and Skipper all in the same year and relying on Huddo who lets face it is towards the end of his career and Ayce who is just about to biggin his. Ruckman do take time to develop and I think will has had a good year to date.so hopefully by the time Huddo retires Will would have asserted himself as the no 1 ruck man with Ayce doing a Will type role as he develops.

Hann I think is a untouchable because of his physical presence up forward and he is the only Bash and crash type guy we have.

Ray I would see as the only person with Market Value that they may consider for the right deal but I don't see them being to active in Draft week this year because there really isn't to many spots that need filling. Besides a KP player but lets dace it every club says they want a KP player.

I think if they could pick up Cousins it might be worth a punt he obviously is going to be kept on a short leash rom the AFL if a return is made he would still take a quality player to contain and possibly free up a Cooney or Griffen also. I know he comes with baggage but if the price is right (draft and salery which I expect he will) why not. He won't have the Rockstar image he had in Perth because its not about the AFL in Perth it is about the West Coast Eagles it is a whole different world over there so he was a big fish in a small pond if he played in Melbourne he would be a smaller fish in a bloody big ocean.

That is why I suggested we look at getting Kosi who can play CHF, ruck and occasionally CHB. He would be handy if a Williams is injured next year as we would have a back up. At the moment we do not have any dpeth in our KPP stocks. Only problem is the saints would want a 1st round which I would not be willing to give away, 2nd round I would consider.........
Will on the other hand is a 2nd ruckman come fwd.
I think it is a cop out when we say that Will is there to provide a contest. That to me translates to "he can't take a contested mark so lets just bomb to him so it falls to the ground and our crumbers can get it".
The other concern I have with this is that we do not have a genuine quick crumber at the fall of Will's feet.

LostDoggy
12-08-2008, 09:53 AM
How often have you seen the ball bombed on from 60 out to a pack of 6 or more guys and Will has brought it to ground you can't expect the guy to mark it in a situation like that. I think he has been put there to enable the centres to have that long bomb in if needed and they know that they have a guy over four foot tall that can give a contest. Much has been made of our lack of a tall foward though Will isn't ideal I will give you that we can only make the best of the tools we have at least he can be physical towards the marking contest or pack contest though sometimes he is over aggresive ang gives away a silly free kick now and then.

I am a big fan of Will and think we should persist with him. What would you rather a Ruckman/ Pinch hitter foward in Will or CHF/ Pinch hitter Ruckman. If you don't have a guy that can get it to the centres to enable the supply a CHF is useless. I think you will see Will improve now he has a decent Ruckman at the club that he has to chase and can learn from also.

Dancin' Douggy
12-08-2008, 07:34 PM
UNTOUCHABLE
Cooney
Griffen
Johnson
Gilbee
Murphy
Lake
Ward
Higgins
Williams ( I still have faith)
West ( ditto)
J.Grant (untried)

ALMOST UNTOUCHABLE
Gia
Everitt

UNTRADEABLE {and worth keeping}
Aker
Hudson
Welsh

RETAIN FOR COMPETITIVE SPIRIT AND CLUB HEALTH BUT CONSIDER SERIOUS OFFERS
Minson
Hahn
Cross and / or Boyd

ON THE TABLE
Rest of list.

I know this might seem a bit harsh and I know people will come out swinging.
I think the major pivotal player for us is Tom Williams. If he's fit and firing, Shaggy, Everitt and Morris are great assets in defence. But none of them are able to replace him. Shaggy's not tall or strong enough and Morris isn't tall or attacking enough. Everitt doesn't have the build or height. So if Williams comes through, we've got a great backline as all those players are great as flankers or back pockets. But if he doesn't, we're exposed. We might need to trade some of our 2nd string defenders to A. cover him or B. invest in the future.
Any thoughts?

Mofra
12-08-2008, 10:05 PM
I think the major pivotal player for us is Tom Williams.
Perhaps correct, but this highlights the depth of problem we have at the club.

We are relying on a 21 yo who can not string more than 3-4 games together to become one of the most important players in the side.
When you look at recent champion Bulldogs, they have something which Tom hasn't shown yet - durability. Yes, Grant overcame some serious injuries later in his career & West has struggled this year, but all these guys managed to find a way to get on the paddock & make an impact for the bulk of their careers.

As great as Tom may be, we can't bank on an injury prone kid making a major difference to our list. As good as Ward looks, I'm starting to wonder if Richmond really did screw us by taking Rance at 18.

Dancin' Douggy
12-08-2008, 10:13 PM
would be the first time Richmond screwed anyone in the draft!

Happy Days
12-08-2008, 10:24 PM
would be the first time Richmond screwed anyone in the draft!

Other than themselves, of course.

hujsh
12-08-2008, 10:32 PM
As great as Tom may be, we can't bank on an injury prone kid making a major difference to our list. As good as Ward looks, I'm starting to wonder if Richmond really did screw us by taking Rance at 18.

Wouldn't say they screwed us, Implies they did something bad to us when they just picked their player which they had the right to do

Scraggers
13-08-2008, 05:13 AM
What about Justin Koschitzke ???

a) Do you think St.Kilda will look to trade him?

b) If yes, do we have a shot at him?

c) Will he fill the void at Centre Half Back / Forward?

LostDoggy
13-08-2008, 10:30 AM
What about Justin Koschitzke ???

a) Do you think St.Kilda will look to trade him?

b) If yes, do we have a shot at him?

c) Will he fill the void at Centre Half Back / Forward?

a) I think it's possible the Saints will look to trade him. Although I think it will be more of a 'I need to leave' from Kosi then 'we need to trade him' from the Saints.

b) Yes, we do have a shot.

c) No he can't fill the void the CHB or CHF or FF. He's a ruckman that is a capable forward. We already have one called Minson. Kosi is a better forward then Minson but what do we do with Minson and Hudson? Drop them to the VFL? Seems a waste.

Kosi would have been a good trade for us last year if we didn't get Huddo. Although Huddo solves more of our problems then Kosi would so it turned out alright for us.

strebla
13-08-2008, 12:17 PM
I find it very hard to believe any bulldog supporter can even think about trading big mitch it would need to be a very good deal for us to even consider this i think our best trading tool will be ray who could be an option for fremantle or port probably giving the best deal

dog town
13-08-2008, 06:50 PM
The Saints wont trade Kosi IMO. RL loves him and he is a popular player amongst the group. I just dont think its an option. I think the best way to trade is just keep an eye out for an opportunity and dont try to force anything. If you see a guy going cheap that is clearly a quality player then you grab him. If nothing eventuates then you just stay out of it. What we did with Aker and Hudson then Welsh at the draft table were great examples.

This season I think our strength lies in Minson and Street. If a club is desperate enough for a ruckmen then we might be able to swindle someone. Wouldn't trade Minson unless someone was offering well above price though. We could well get something for Street at seasons end if he keeps up his vfl form. It wont be much but its better than nothing.

I dont see many other likely trades although its a long way off.

soupman
14-08-2008, 04:47 PM
UNTOUCHABLE
Cooney
Griffen
Johnson
Gilbee
Murphy
Lake
Ward
Higgins
Williams ( I still have faith)
West ( ditto)
J.Grant (untried)

ALMOST UNTOUCHABLE
Gia
Everitt

UNTRADEABLE {and worth keeping}
Aker
Hudson
Welsh

RETAIN FOR COMPETITIVE SPIRIT AND CLUB HEALTH BUT CONSIDER SERIOUS OFFERS
Minson
Hahn
Cross and / or Boyd

ON THE TABLE
Rest of list.

I know this might seem a bit harsh and I know people will come out swinging.
I think the major pivotal player for us is Tom Williams. If he's fit and firing, Shaggy, Everitt and Morris are great assets in defence. But none of them are able to replace him. Shaggy's not tall or strong enough and Morris isn't tall or attacking enough. Everitt doesn't have the build or height. So if Williams comes through, we've got a great backline as all those players are great as flankers or back pockets. But if he doesn't, we're exposed. We might need to trade some of our 2nd string defenders to A. cover him or B. invest in the future.
Any thoughts?

I think that list is essentially correct, however I would take Higgins out of the untouchable list; he is a talented midfielder/forward that gets injured too much. I would move him into the "Almost Untouchable" area, which I would rename "Unlikely unless exceptional trade was offered". I think he is similiar to Hill in this regard, obviously talented and has a big future, but is still a fair few rugs below "untouchable". Gia, as a leader of the club should be moved into the "Retain for competetive spirit etc." group, while Cross should be moved into the untouchables area. Players like him with a great work ethic, leadership capabilities, bravery and the ability to play consistently well are too rare, and even though I understand the group he is in is represents his high standing, I don't think we would seriously onsider any offers for him unless they involved Matthew Pavlich or the equilavent. I would also put Dylan Addison into the competitive spirit group.

biggin

I'm sorry but this has got to be the worst attempt at spelling "begin" that I have ever seen.

LostDoggy
14-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Just had a trade scenario..

Street & Tiller for a new pair of shoelaces for Aker & Cooney?

hujsh
14-08-2008, 05:09 PM

What kind of shoelaces?

(have you been watching that Will Ferrel basketball movie or something?)

LostDoggy
14-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Bright Yellow & Orange would suit them both haha

Yeah ive seen Semi-Pro recently, great movie.

Now that trade seems fair...who do you think will supply us with the shoe laces? ;)

hujsh
14-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Bright Yellow & Orange would suit them both haha

Yeah ive seen Semi-Pro recently, great movie.

Now that trade seems fair...who do you think will supply us with the shoe laces? ;)

I'd say Freo but if we trade with Freo we'll probably get their top pick in the draft as well somehow.

LostDoggy
14-08-2008, 06:01 PM

I'd trade Aker before Tiller if the past 4 games in anything to go by. Don't be so harsh on the younger guys like Tiller. Or would you have traded Cross and Boyd at 20 years old as well? And who are we going to play if Hudson strains his back again or Minson pulls a hammy playing the Sax? Some people *sigh*

Mantis
14-08-2008, 07:10 PM
I'd trade Aker before Tiller if the past 4 games in anything to go by. Don't be so harsh on the younger guys like Tiller. Or would you have traded Cross and Boyd at 20 years old as well? And who are we going to play if Hudson strains his back again or Minson pulls a hammy playing the Sax? Some people *sigh*

Going on last week's week performance of the guy in question and having never seen you play, I would still pick you.

LostDoggy
15-08-2008, 10:15 AM
If Brown were to say no to the lions and we were to make a play for him what do you think we would need to offer. Keeping in mind it will have to be quality for quality.

Rocket Science
15-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Jarrad Grant, Mitch Hahn and a 2nd round pick in the '08 draft.

But...Brown's goin nowhere.

LostDoggy
15-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Ha! The lions would want more..

Theyd ask for Cross, Cooney, Griffin, Grant, Williams & First 3 Picks...

Rocket Science
15-08-2008, 03:32 PM
If they're baulking at coughing up a 5-year deal, even they'd have to realise there's a definable limit on Brown's value.

They'd get a stud key forward prospect in the making...a productive AFL forward with size/strength who's also a Qld boy...and a 2nd round pick in a period where the value of draft picks in general is heightened.

What's not to like?

Scraggers
17-08-2008, 07:27 PM
If Brown were to say no to the lions and we were to make a play for him what do you think we would need to offer. Keeping in mind it will have to be quality for quality.

Have the Lions heard of one of our players called Akermanis; I reckon he'd get on pretty well with Leigh Matthews and their players ... maybe we could do a straight swap :D

LostDoggy
17-08-2008, 07:49 PM
I know we are probably more interested in securing a tall forward or a defender but is there any interest in the likes of Jarrod Oakley-Nicholls? He is struggling to get a game with the Tigers but just seems to be one of those players that will never fulfill his potential with his original club. He has only played a handful of games in 3 years and they might be interested to cut their losses. In some ways the addition of Jordan McMahon by the Tigers might have pushed him down the pecking order as a running defender.

The Coon Dog
17-08-2008, 08:19 PM
2 years ago we were very keen to draft Nathan Krakouer. He has struggled this year at Port Adelaide. He may be another to be looked at (along with about 100 others) at season's end.

Mantis
17-08-2008, 08:31 PM
2 years ago we were very keen to draft Nathan Krakouer. He has struggled this year at Port Adelaide. He may be another to be looked at (along with about 100 others) at season's end.

Do we really need another skinny half forward flanker?

LostDoggy
17-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Another 6 kids is the only way to go.

Rocket Science
17-08-2008, 09:16 PM

Yeah...so we can shoehorn him into a key position.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-08-2008, 09:21 PM
I know we are probably more interested in securing a tall forward or a defender but is there any interest in the likes of Jarrod Oakley-Nicholls? He is struggling to get a game with the Tigers but just seems to be one of those players that will never fulfill his potential with his original club. He has only played a handful of games in 3 years and they might be interested to cut their losses. In some ways the addition of Jordan McMahon by the Tigers might have pushed him down the pecking order as a running defender.

I haven't seen JON play this season, unless he was in the NAB Cup?, but he was terrible in previous years. I wouldn't be surprised to see Richmond delist him this year or next. He has pace, but that's about it. He really looks out of sorts when playing in the AFL.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-08-2008, 09:21 PM

Agreed, especially now that we have the likes of Hill & Stack coming through - seem to be similar type of players.

Happy Days
17-08-2008, 10:10 PM
One that springs to mind is Trent Henschell...remember him kicking 8 one game against the Bombers and developing nicely before he hurt himself. He'd surely be worth a shot.

GVGjr
17-08-2008, 10:27 PM
One that springs to mind is Trent Henschell...remember him kicking 8 one game against the Bombers and developing nicely before he hurt himself. He'd surely be worth a shot.

Plenty to like about him but he isn't on the outer with the Crows at all. They would love to have him in the side if he was fit.

GVGjr
17-08-2008, 10:35 PM
I haven't seen JON play this season, unless he was in the NAB Cup?, but he was terrible in previous years. I wouldn't be surprised to see Richmond delist him this year or next. He has pace, but that's about it. He really looks out of sorts when playing in the AFL.

I saw him against Williamstown and imo he might still make a senior footballer. We have more pressing needs than adding an outside midfielder or defender but I wouldn't mind him if we could get him cheaply.

hujsh
17-08-2008, 11:16 PM
Another 6 kids is the only way to go.

can still trade a player for a player though

strebla
18-08-2008, 12:42 AM
Am i on my own here i am of the belief yhat our list needs only trimming the talent is certainly thick on the ground at williamstown our kids will be much much better with a second pre season and we look like getting a gun in ayce cordy (hopefully second round) so all in all no need to panic .

soupman
19-08-2008, 12:40 AM
I think we should look at blokes like Nathan Krakouer and Oakley-Nicholls for our rookie list.

The challenging thing is, you say you want 6 more kids, who are they going to replace?

Out: McDougall, Street, Lynch
Possibles: Skipper, West (ret?)

And of the rookies: Hughes (ret), Shaw(?). White seems to be going alright and Mulligan hasn't seemed bad from reports.

So that means Cordy in, and 2 other draftees, maybe 3. I want SKipper to play this week, cause I think he can make it.

Scraggers
19-08-2008, 01:01 AM
There is a lot of talk over here about Ben McKinley ...
Height :- 184cm
Weight :- 86kg
D.O.B. :- 4/3/1987

Kicked 5 goals against Port Adelaide in round 5 to earn himself a Rising star nomination and 7 against Essendon in round 19 (37 goals for the year in 16 games... probably most of the Eagles score really).

Apparently born and bred in Victoria and looking to come home this year ... great pair of hands can take a good contested overhead mark and is extremely quick over 25 metres.

I think he would make a great addition to our half forward line

Rocket Science
19-08-2008, 01:14 AM
If McKinley's genuinely looking to return to Melbourne, I'd chase him hard, but that's the first I've heard of it. What's the word?

Plays taller than his height...can take a strong contested grab...seems unphased by the responsibility of being a focal point up forward...reminds a little of a budding Ryan O'Keefe.

strebla
19-08-2008, 01:20 AM
If McKinley's genuinely looking to return to Melbourne, I'd chase him hard, but that's the first I've heard of it. What's the word?

Plays taller than his height...can take a strong contested grab...seems unphased by the responsibility of being a focal point up forward...reminds a little of a budding Ryan O'Keefe.

Very strong overhead would they take maybe Farren Ray

Scraggers
19-08-2008, 10:06 AM

The Eagles keep saying they are keen to sign him (McKinley) ... but he and his management have not sat down at the table with them, prefering to wait until season's end; but he was quoted in the media saying he was keen to get back to Melbourne where all his family and friends were ... depends what the Eagles offer him I suppose

The Bulldogs Bite
19-08-2008, 03:54 PM
The Eagles keep saying they are keen to sign him (McKinley) ... but he and his management have not sat down at the table with them, prefering to wait until season's end; but he was quoted in the media saying he was keen to get back to Melbourne where all his family and friends were ... depends what the Eagles offer him I suppose

Interesting.

I read somewhere that he had actually told the WA media he intended on staying at The Eagles with the thought of being a one club player? His parents were interviewed at half time during the Melbourne/Eagles game on the weekend, and they said something along the same lines.

If he is interested in coming back to VIC, though, I would definitely hope we chase him. He looks a quality player - quick off the mark with very good hands. He's a decent kick too and plays much taller than his height suggests. He's a little soft at times, but he's got plenty of talent and he would fit into our lineup nicely.

LostDoggy
19-08-2008, 04:08 PM
The obvious problem with McKinley is that he's not really what we need. By that i mean I'd be happy to take him but wouldn't be happy paying a lot for him. I not sure of his 'price' but I'd imagine it would higher then what he's worth to us.

LostDoggy
19-08-2008, 04:23 PM
I rate him but dont think we need another small forward type..

He would be a pretty good fit for Collingwood if they get rid of Didak

LostDoggy
21-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Ray for Ben Mckinley would be a good swap. Even if we had to throw in a low draft pick to get it over the line.

GVGjr
26-08-2008, 09:09 PM
One of the guys at work mentioned that the Bombers will move Jason Laycock on. Would he be someone that we might be interested in?

The Coon Dog
26-08-2008, 09:23 PM
One of the guys at work mentioned that the Bombers will move Jason Laycock on. Would he be someone that we might be interested in?
Depends on Peter Street. If Streeta remains then no, we wouldn't need to look at Laycock, but if he left, then we might need a back up. Cordy would get killed.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-08-2008, 09:29 PM
Depends on Peter Street. If Streeta remains then no, we wouldn't need to look at Laycock, but if he left, then we might need a back up. Cordy would get killed.

Agree re Cordy, but I don't think Laycock is worth it. He's a very ordinary player IMHO and I have no idea how he a) got onto a list and b) lasted this long. He's a lazy, sloppy footballer who takes the occasional decent mark. Street, among many and most others, are of better value than him.

GVGjr
26-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Agree re Cordy, but I don't think Laycock is worth it. He's a very ordinary player IMHO and I have no idea how he a) got onto a list and b) lasted this long. He's a lazy, sloppy footballer who takes the occasional decent mark. Street, among many and most others, are of better value than him.

Whilst I agree that he has a number of flaws, the challenge and incentive would be all in front of him at a team like ours. He would have a couple of ruckman ahead of him in Hudson and Minson but also have an opportunity to play as a tall forward.
The bonus for our club would be the possibility of moving both Skipper and Street and hopefully landing a player that still hasn't reached his peak cheaply.

Rocket Science
26-08-2008, 11:15 PM
Two years ago I'd have jumped at recruiting Laycock, but he's just about worn out his AFL welcome since then...he's the Don's version of Wayde Skipper.

If we were bereft of better alternatives, and if he cost next to nothing, and if there's realistic scope to fashion him into a permanent key forward role, then maybe I suppose.

Bulldog Revolution
27-08-2008, 09:05 AM
Two years ago I'd have jumped at recruiting Laycock, but he's just about worn out his AFL welcome since then...he's the Don's version of Wayde Skipper.

If we were bereft of better alternatives, and if he cost next to nothing, and if there's realistic scope to fashion him into a permanent key forward role, then maybe I suppose.

I think Laycock is a talent, and is certainly one we'd have to consider if he were available

That said it all comes down to his attitude, and how much he wants it

Mantis
27-08-2008, 09:16 AM
I think Laycock is a talent, and is certainly one we'd have to consider if he were available

That said it all comes down to his attitude, and how much he wants it

He would need to have a hair cut too.

He has the worst "do" in the comp.

Dancin' Douggy
27-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Forget about Laycock. Just forget about him and get serious.

The Doctor
27-08-2008, 10:01 AM
What we need is a Centre Half Back.

Unfortunately, Williams just can't seem to get his body right and I fear we will have this concern throughout his career with us. We need stability and if we can get it some quality in this vital position. Wight is not the answer.

Therefore I think we should make a play for Chaplin at Port, or Hunter from WCE. If we land one of them we have options galore especially if Williams gets himself together. We would have one of the best backlines in the business.

strebla
27-08-2008, 11:51 AM
Would hunter not be too short for CHB i think there are options comming through and we need to persist with Wight And Williams

The Doctor
27-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Would hunter not be too short for CHB i think there are options comming through and we need to persist with Wight And Williams

Hunter is a smart and proven CHB in a strong team and has the added value of being able to go forward. Height has nothing to do with it, it is a matter of whether he can play the position. Wight can't and I can not see us winning a premiership with him in one of the most important positions on the field.

The Coon Dog
27-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Hunter is a smart and proven CHB in a strong team and has the added value of being able to go forward. Height has nothing to do with it, it is a matter of whether he can play the position. Wight can't and I can not see us winning a premiership with him in one of the most important positions on the field.
Gotta be honest, I haven't seen Hunter do too much over the past 2 seasons. I reckon his best is behind him.

The Doctor
27-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Gotta be honest, I haven't seen Hunter do too much over the past 2 seasons. I reckon his best is behind him.

Disagree

He is 26 or 27 and at his peak. He has many good years ahead.

If his form has dipped a bit then now would be a good time to strike a deal. A change of scenery may be the tonic for him.

Sedat
27-08-2008, 12:33 PM
What we need is a Centre Half Back.

Unfortunately, Williams just can't seem to get his body right and I fear we will have this concern throughout his career with us. We need stability and if we can get it some quality in this vital position. Wight is not the answer.

Therefore I think we should make a play for Chaplin at Port, or Hunter from WCE. If we land one of them we have options galore especially if Williams gets himself together. We would have one of the best backlines in the business.
Interesting thoughts.

I'd have thought Everitt has the necessary tools to make CHB his own in the next couple of seasons. Get a full pre-season into him and I'd expect him to become the player we all think he can be. At 194cms, and with his pace and agility, he will be the prototype modern day CHB. That's assuming Williams won't ever recover, which I have high hopes that he will - the navicular foot injury was the key issue with Tom and this is now 100%.

I don't mind Chaplin at all but we'll pay overs. Carlton are apparently into him and Brogan big time and Port are responding in kind with Hartlett and Russell (both Adelaide boys) - Hartlett's younger brother is apparently one of the gun KPP's in this years ND. Hunter I'm not as sold on. He is only 190cms and his desire looks to have been sated by premiership success. I'd rather have a look at his team mate Matt Spangher, who is 193cms, several years younger and also from Melbourne - he has also had injury concerns (shoulders and OP) but would come much cheaper than Hunter having yet to establish his AFL career.

I'm not a fan of trading for McKinley at all. He can clunk them but he has poor endurance and is only 184cms. He is basically a younger, but shorter, version of Scott Welsh, who we already have and who came to us for virtually nothing.

Bulldog Revolution
27-08-2008, 12:51 PM
He would need to have a hair cut too.

He has the worst "do" in the comp.

Couldn't agree more - That would be part of any good three point plan:

1. Haircut
2. Nickname that has some toughness to it
3. But really actually getting him fit and giving a s_ might make the biggest difference

If you remember I attempted a similar 3 point plan with Ray last off season

1. Renaming him Razor
2. Insisting he play with a black eye each week
3. Banning him from kicking on his left foot.

Bulldog Revolution
27-08-2008, 12:53 PM
I'd be very surprised if Chaplin goes anywhere

Hunter is not fit often enough - has too many soft tissue issues

hujsh
27-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Disagree

He is 26 or 27 and at his peak. He has many good years ahead.

If his form has dipped a bit then now would be a good time to strike a deal. A change of scenery may be the tonic for him.

thought he was older than that

GVGjr
27-08-2008, 07:15 PM
thought he was older than that

He turned 27 a couple of months back.
Whilst I agree he would suit us, getting West Coast to part with him would be a very tough job. I'd also be surprised if we could land Chaplin but he would be a great addition for us as well. Port are tough in the negotiations though and we would have to pay over the odds to get him and with our first round pick as good as committed to Cordy, we don't have a lot of other bargaining chips.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Agree Chaplin would be a very good pick-up, but I can't see that happening, why would Port Adelaide trade him and why would he want to leave? If he is available, though, I would hope we chase him because he's a quality player that would certainly strengthen the back half.

LostDoggy
27-08-2008, 10:50 PM
Hunter is the most overrated player in the league.
And I wouldn't worry about Chaplin either...

GVGjr
27-08-2008, 11:23 PM
Hunter is the most overrated player in the league.
And I wouldn't worry about Chaplin either...

Why don't you believe that either of these two players would assist the side?

LostDoggy
27-08-2008, 11:30 PM
Why don't you believe that either of these two players would assist the side?

Hunter would cost a fortune. He is a average mid size defender. He is living of his 'big grabs' and his long runs down the ground. Very average defender.

Chaplin is just an average player. I wouldn't trade for a player like Chaplin.

I think we will take Prismall, I would be more inclined to punt on Campbell from Freo

craigsahibee
28-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Any interest in Ash Hansen at the Eagles?

Doubts over his capacity to stay on the paddock. Will swap for a second round pick at best.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2008, 10:03 AM
For me, i've lost a fair bit of respect for Hansen's game this year. Sure the delivery is not there as it was for the last few years, but he doesn't seem to have an ability to stamp any influence on a game. Second rounder is a tad high if we have views picking up another topline kid in the top 30 such as a Mitch Banner type of midifelder. They wont go for a third, whether they have any interest in any fringe players which i highly doubt.

I can't really see us trading for a well knonw player this year, with the depth of the draft i would prefer some kids to cover retirements over the next couple of years.

LostDoggy
28-08-2008, 10:23 AM
There is no way we should trade a straight draft picks for a new player. Player for player unless we improve our order in the draft or a very late pick.
A second round pick for Ash Hansen is a high risk with few picks left in the following years.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2008, 10:34 AM
There is no way we should trade a straight draft picks for a new player. Player for player unless we improve our order in the draft or a very late pick.
A second round pick for Ash Hansen is a high risk with few picks left in the following years.
Great point ES. I think the value of high round picks this year and next have just gone up significantly in value, and thus fringe player values have dropped. Ash Hansen would be a second rounder without GC17 taking 1000000 top picks, but with high-ish picks is short supply from soon on (maybe longer when a 18th licence is dished out). He must surely drop to a third rounder.

The wheel has not turned from overpaying for players (i.e. TWO first round picks for Jon Hay!!!). Now they will be undervalued. Will be interesting to see what happens at trade time to players that would have had trade currency last year (i.e. Prismall, Hansen etc).

macca
28-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Lovett murray looks like he will go from Essendon.
Will he be worth a punt ? Lots of talent, but sounds like he is lacking discipline.

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Heard some news today from a friend:

1. Tambling done a medical for the club last Friday
2. Hill to WCE, in exchange for McKinley
3. Minson to Adelaide, we get Griffin

chef
20-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Heard some news today from a friend:

1. Tambling done a medical for the club last Friday
2. Hill to WCE, in exchange for McKinley
3. Minson to Adelaide, we get Griffin

I thought he wanted to go back to WA for family reasons.

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 06:41 PM
I thought he wanted to go back to WA for family reasons.

It's all speculation of course, but thought i would put it out here for everyone to read.

comrade
20-09-2010, 06:45 PM
McKinley?

Where is the vomit emoticon?

chef
20-09-2010, 06:46 PM
It's all speculation of course, but thought i would put it out here for everyone to read.

Cool, thanx.

The Coon Dog
20-09-2010, 06:51 PM
McKinley?

Where is the vomit emoticon?

http://www.msn101.com/content/emoticons/Vomit_7L6JUI.gif http://www.msn101.com/content/emoticons/Vomit_7L6JUI.gif http://www.msn101.com/content/emoticons/Vomit_7L6JUI.gif http://www.msn101.com/content/emoticons/Vomit_7L6JUI.gif

Remi Moses
20-09-2010, 06:55 PM
Not keen on McKinley to lazy for mine and looks exhausted
Griffin going back to WA
Tambling I'd be afraid they'd want the world

The Bulldogs Bite
20-09-2010, 08:37 PM
Griffin is worse than Minson and the trade makes no sense at all. We require pacey mids/small forwards - a second round pick would probably suffice too - but not Griffin.

Agree with comrade on McKinley.

Hopefully there's some truth to Tambling doing a medical, but as others have said, he'd come at a price. It'll be interesting to see what that may be.

Jasper
20-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Not keen on McKinley to lazy for mine and looks exhausted
Griffin going back to WA
Tambling I'd be afraid they'd want the world

I'm afraid we would want Tambling

Reasons being:

By self admission - mentally fragile
Don't be fooled by his good tackle stats its because he prefers to be second to the ball
Not the best kick going around and decision making can be dodgy under pressure...

Would have thought we have enough of these types...Stack, Hill anyone??

Mantis
20-09-2010, 08:47 PM
Would have thought we have enough of these types...Stack, Hill anyone??

There are reports that both of these will be requesting a trade.

Jasper
20-09-2010, 08:54 PM

Yeah have heard that, don't have a problem with either going, particularly if Eade is staying, as you'd reckon Hill has a massive line through his name.

Don't particularly see the need to replace their weaknesses with a bloke like Tambling with similar weaknesses.

Mantis
20-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Yeah have heard that, don't have a problem with either going, particularly if Eade is staying, as you'd reckon Hill has a massive line through his name.

That isn't the case, having had a pretty average season he was actually pretty close to playing in the PF.

If Josh stays he will get opportunities next year, but obviously needs to get himself fitter.

Jasper
20-09-2010, 09:09 PM
That isn't the case, having had a pretty average season he was actually pretty close to playing in the PF.

If Josh stays he will get opportunities next year, but obviously needs to get himself fitter.

I can't dispute what you are saying I don't know...what I do know is that if he was close to PF selection then that is an indictment on our list more than anything else. Reckon if we can get Pick 20 - 30 for Josh I would be happy (WCE Pick 26 ish looks ok to me).

Mantis
20-09-2010, 09:21 PM
I can't dispute what you are saying I don't know...what I do know is that if he was close to PF selection then that is an indictment on our list more than anything else. Reckon if we can get Pick 20 - 30 for Josh I would be happy (WCE Pick 26 ish looks ok to me).

I would take that, but I can't see that happening.

Jasper
20-09-2010, 09:27 PM

Fair enough...

But what if throw in a Stack of steak knives??:p

Sockeye Salmon
20-09-2010, 09:47 PM

I'd be happy with a straight swap for Rosa

comrade
20-09-2010, 09:50 PM

Sideways trade that does nothing to address our deficiencies.

Sockeye Salmon
20-09-2010, 09:56 PM

Except that Rosa is quick and managed 76% kicking efficiency this year.

Personally I would prefer Dane Swann but I don't think that's going to fly.

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 09:59 PM

Agree, if a deal for Hill has to be done.

I would rather keep Hill myself, think he still has good upside.

comrade
20-09-2010, 10:05 PM
Except that Rosa is quick and managed 76% kicking efficiency this year.

Personally I would prefer Dane Swann but I don't think that's going to fly.

Is he really that quick?

Rance Fan
20-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Josh Drummond signed to he Lions yet?
He'd be worth picking up...if only!!

GVGjr
20-09-2010, 10:18 PM
Is he really that quick?

He's not exceptionally quick but he is a good mover and as SS pointed out, an effective user of the ball.

radziminski
20-09-2010, 10:47 PM
that would leave one indigenous player ( Jones) if Thorne gets shunted. Disappointing....Hill at least should stay if he chooses to...

Mofra
21-09-2010, 10:21 AM
A genuine winger with a bit of pace, over a forward lacking intensity?
I think it addresses an obvious deficiency in the team.
Whilst Hill may be more talented, Rosa would offer more to the team methinks.

Desipura
21-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Can you direct me to the link? Also where is it reported that we have requested Tambling do a medical?

comrade
21-09-2010, 11:02 AM

Both are wingers with a bit of pace. One has just been played out of position.

Mantis
21-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Can you direct me to the link?

No link.

Poor choice of words from me, I should have said rumours not reports, but for me it's the same thing.

Desipura
21-09-2010, 12:12 PM
No link.

Poor choice of words from me, I should have said rumours not reports, but for me it's the same thing.

Would you take Tambling?

Doc26
21-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Josh Drummond signed to he Lions yet?
He'd be worth picking up...if only!!

Lovely player when going but would you really be comfortable with taking on such an expensive proposition with the associated risks he brings with his history of soft tissue injuries ? Personally I'd stay away not that we could afford him in any case.

Sockeye Salmon
21-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Both are wingers with a bit of pace. One has just been played out of position.

Hill will never make it as a winger. His kicking isn't good enough and he certainly doesn't work hard enough.

Mantis
21-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Would you take Tambling?

Yep.

He is the type of player we need and at the price I would definitely entertain this move. In saying this we have been very good at paying 'market value' for added players so I am sure we won't over pay for his services.

comrade
21-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Hill will never make it as a winger.

Not while he’s playing as a third tall.

Agree that he needs to work harder but it’s hard to judge his field kicking when most of his possessions in 2009/2010 have been over the top cheapies in the forward 50.

Desipura
21-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Yep.

He is the type of player we need and at the price I would definitely entertain this move. In saying this we have been very good at paying 'market value' for added players so I am sure we won't over pay for his services. You sound confident we may be able to get him.
I wonder whether a Harbrow pick or Everitt as a straight swap would get the deal done. I agree with you, in fact I think he could become a Varcoe type in the right environment.
Tigers eat their own which would have caused him some anxiety on the back of them not choosing Franklin.

EasternWest
21-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Griffin is worse than Minson and the trade makes no sense at all.

I don't think we can afford to give up Minson at this time. Huddo might only have one more year in him and if we trade Will in 2011 we'll only have Roughead with 30 odd games and Cordy with maybe none.

I have been a big fan of Will, but this year he has been disappointing. I'm not averse to moving him on, but the timing is not good for us.

I've posted this elsewhere also so apologies if you're seing it twice.

Desipura
22-09-2010, 10:30 AM
I don't think we can afford to give up Minson at this time. Huddo might only have one more year in him and if we trade Will in 2011 we'll only have Roughead with 30 odd games and Cordy with maybe none.

I have been a big fan of Will, but this year he has been disappointing. I'm not averse to moving him on, but the timing is not good for us.

I've posted this elsewhere also so apologies if you're seing it twice.
Yes we can. In fact we should do it now whilst he still has some value and there is a shortage of ruckman at other clubs ie Adelaide & Port.
Huddo started playing late, I think he would have 2 years left in him. I would pick up a mature aged ruckman from a lower league as insurance.
Will does not influence a game enough and does not get alot of the ball, I do not see an upside to his game.
If you are not a regular at 25yo, and making the same silly mistakes, questions need to be asked.

The Coon Dog
22-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Will the proposed changes to the interchange ie: limit on number of changes/3 interchange & 1 sub have an impact on club's thinking regarding the 2nd ruckman?

LostDoggy
22-09-2010, 01:26 PM
I think it will because going in with 2 ruckman will just be too much if you only have 3 people on the bench!

Greystache
22-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Will the proposed changes to the interchange ie: limit on number of changes/3 interchange & 1 sub have an impact on club's thinking regarding the 2nd ruckman?

I think it will impact some players and clubs, I can't see teams carrying 2 specialist ruckmen that don't offer anything else. That's not to say I think teams will be more inclined to go with a Hudson/Everitt combination, more that if you're a pure ruckman and aren't your teams number one, then you're going to be limited for opportunities.

Someone like Roughead could really come into his own under the proposed interchange cap, Hudson can continue to ruck for 70% with few interchanges, while Roughead can play as a semi-permanent forward who rotates through the middle. Sadly for Minson
I think he'll struggle for game time while Hudson is fit and playing well.

The Coon Dog
22-09-2010, 02:07 PM
I think it will impact some players and clubs, I can't see teams carrying 2 specialist ruckmen that don't offer anything else. That's not to say I think teams will be more inclined to go with a Hudson/Everitt combination, more that if you're a pure ruckman and aren't your teams number one, then you're going to be limited for opportunities.

Someone like Roughead could really come into his own under the proposed interchange cap, Hudson can continue to ruck for 70% with few interchanges, while Roughead can play as a semi-permanent forward who rotates through the middle. Sadly for Minson
I think he'll struggle for game time while Hudson is fit and playing well.
In other words Mark Blake's ****ed!

Seriously a second ruckman needs another string to his bow to survive.

Greystache
22-09-2010, 02:09 PM
In other words Mark Blake's ****ed!

Seriously a second ruckman needs another string to his bow to survive.

Haha, that's exactly who I was thinking about!! :D

jazzadogs
22-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Yes we can. In fact we should do it now whilst he still has some value and there is a shortage of ruckman at other clubs ie Adelaide & Port.
Huddo started playing late, I think he would have 2 years left in him. I would pick up a mature aged ruckman from a lower league as insurance.
Will does not influence a game enough and does not get alot of the ball, I do not see an upside to his game.
If you are not a regular at 25yo, and making the same silly mistakes, questions need to be asked.
Will has been a regular in past seasons, and the Soy Milk drama affected his season more than we can imagine, just like Higgins.

Ruckman, even more than KPP, take a long time to play their best footy. Sandilands is 28 and playing his best. Hudson, as you said, didn't start playing AFL until 27-28.

I would hate to get rid of Will and for him to then reach his potential in a year or two.

I guess in the end it comes down to what can we trade him for and the quality of the replacement 'back-up ruckman'. If we can get a high draft pick or player who addresses our needs, and find a reliable back-up ruckman (3rd behind Huddo and Roughy), then I wouldn't be completely against it. But it would still be very risky, just like getting rid of Everitt and Hill, due to their ages.

If we're not going to get a good trade for him, then I would prefer to have Will remain on the list than a VFL player who isn't quite good enough.

Sockeye Salmon
22-09-2010, 02:28 PM
What if Adelaide offered up their Bock pick, say 27 for Minson?

Daniel Currie has been delisted by the Swans and we could pick him up with pick 70 as emergency backup.

mighty_west
22-09-2010, 02:43 PM
What if Adelaide offered up their Bock pick, say 27 for Minson?

Daniel Currie has been delisted by the Swans and we could pick him up with pick 70 as emergency backup.

Sounds a bit like picking up Markovic with a late'ish draft pick as a back up defender.

Sockeye Salmon
22-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Sounds a bit like picking up Markovic with a late'ish draft pick as a back up defender.

Had Lake not been able to play all 25 games we might have needed him.

If we trade out Minson and Hudson and Roughead play every game then no harm done, but what if they don't?

PS. I still think trading is the work of the devil, I'm just playing 'what if?'

mighty_west
22-09-2010, 02:59 PM
Had Lake not been able to play all 25 games we might have needed him.

If we trade out Minson and Hudson and Roughead play every game then no harm done, but what if they don't?

PS. I still think trading is the work of the devil, I'm just playing 'what if?'

That's my main reason why i think we should hang onto Minson, an injury or 2 to our big fellas, and we are stuffed, Cordy's shoulders may not hold up to the riggers just yet, and Roughead has his own concerns with shoulder injuries.

I'm just not into getting in some cheap ass hack as back up, the more the game evolves, the more they become a liability.

always right
22-09-2010, 03:07 PM

Reminds me of the sort of trades Voss did at Brisbane this year....we should learn from that debacle. Don't trade like for like....back yourself and develop your own.

Desipura
22-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Will has been a regular in past seasons, and the Soy Milk drama affected his season more than we can imagine, just like Higgins.

Ruckman, even more than KPP, take a long time to play their best footy. Sandilands is 28 and playing his best. Hudson, as you said, didn't start playing AFL until 27-28.

I would hate to get rid of Will and for him to then reach his potential in a year or two.

I guess in the end it comes down to what can we trade him for and the quality of the replacement 'back-up ruckman'. If we can get a high draft pick or player who addresses our needs, and find a reliable back-up ruckman (3rd behind Huddo and Roughy), then I wouldn't be completely against it. But it would still be very risky, just like getting rid of Everitt and Hill, due to their ages.

If we're not going to get a good trade for him, then I would prefer to have Will remain on the list than a VFL player who isn't quite good enough.
Wil is not suddenly going to learn how to take marks he should be taking and finding more of the ball.

Dry Rot
22-09-2010, 03:51 PM
Why does anyone think Minson wants to return to Adelaide? Seems happy in Melbourne, studying there etc

LostDoggy
22-09-2010, 06:49 PM
I think we should target Sherman and Djerrkura only, no Rosa or Tambling.

Dont know about Minson wouldnt mind it if we could get the right deal (would have to pick up a mature age ruckman as back up in the rookie draft I would think)

Mofra
23-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Why Djerrkura? He seems a slower version of Tambling who finds less of the ball.

jazzadogs
23-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Wil is not suddenly going to learn how to take marks he should be taking and finding more of the ball.
Mark Jamar?

Admittedly I didn't see much of him before this year, but what I had seen didn't scream "I'm going to be an AA ruckman soon". 2 years older than Minson and just played his best season.

comrade
23-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Why Djerrkura? He seems a slower version of Tambling who finds less of the ball.

I think they're similar in pace and Djerrkera has barely had an opportunity to display his ball winning abilities.

Djerrkura is cheaper.

azabob
23-09-2010, 11:45 AM
I think they're similar in pace and Djerrkera has barely had an opportunity to display his ball winning abilities.

Djerrkura is cheaper.

Understand what your saying, but can we affoard to take in another "list clogger"? He still hasn't proven himself.
Not sure Thompson rates him at all as he's already talking about Marlon Motlop coming into the team.

Prismall was supposed to be a AFL footballer and surely we expected Tim Callan to play more senior football than he has.

What about Byrnes from Geelong? Maybe a few years too old but he is a smart footballer who can kick a goal or two a week.

comrade
23-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Understand what your saying, but can we affoard to take in another "list clogger"? He still hasn't proven himself.
Not sure Thompson rates him at all as he's already talking about Marlon Motlop coming into the team.

Prismall was supposed to be a AFL footballer and surely we expected Tim Callan to play more senior football than he has.

What about Byrnes from Geelong? Maybe a few years too old but he is a smart footballer who can kick a goal or two a week.

It all depends where the footy department think we're at going in to 2011. With Eade out of contract at the end of the season, you would hope we don't just top up in order to stay thereabouts without really having the cattle to take the next step.

We need to keep our best draft picks and hoard quality youngsters. If we can address our deficiencies by trading for guys with picks 40+ so be it. Giving up picks under 30 for recycled players such as Sherman or Tambling is fraught with danger.

soupman
23-09-2010, 11:54 AM
The descriptions I've heard of Djerrkurra have actually reminded me of Cameron Faulkner.

Indigenous midfielder with some pace who is hard at it and a good tackler. Might be able to play as a crumbing forward but in the VFL features as mre of an inside midfielder. Shown glimpses but yet to actually show he will make a good AFL player.

Mofra
23-09-2010, 12:20 PM
The descriptions I've heard of Djerrkurra have actually reminded me of Cameron Faulkner.

Indigenous midfielder with some pace who is hard at it and a good tackler. Might be able to play as a crumbing forward but in the VFL features as mre of an inside midfielder. Shown glimpses but yet to actually show he will make a good AFL player.
Geelong people I've talked to say he is definately not a small forward, more of a mid whose kicking can let him down.
We'd be better off giving Brodie some valium and keeping a pick than gambling on Djerrkurra IMO.

bulldogsman
23-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Geelong people I've talked to say he is definately not a small forward, more of a mid whose kicking can let him down.
We'd be better off giving Brodie some valium and keeping a pick than gambling on Djerrkurra IMO.

I've heard the same things, I would much rather Tambling or even Sherman. Geelong will trade him to GC anyway.

stefoid
23-09-2010, 03:55 PM
What about Leroy Jetta or Eddie Betts? (Betts is only 23)

Mofra
23-09-2010, 04:28 PM
Yes and yes, but what would we give up?

Jetta we may have a slight chance of, but Carlton would want blood from a stone for Betts - he topped their goalkicking with 42 and is highly rated. He'd be perfect for us but at too high a price as a guess.

azabob
23-09-2010, 04:29 PM

I would be interested in Betts he looks more of a natural crumber than others.
Looks a lot older than 23!
But is Eade keen on players who can only play forward 50?

Scorlibo
23-09-2010, 04:30 PM
I would be very keen to go after Alwyn Davey, has heaps of pace, a good kick and a proven forward pressure master.

Other than that, I think David Rodan is an amazing player when on song, and could be a good fit for us. Not sure of his contract status though.

soupman
23-09-2010, 04:34 PM
I would be very keen to go after Alwyn Davey, has heaps of pace, a good kick and a proven forward pressure master.

Other than that, I think David Rodan is an amazing player when on song, and could be a good fit for us. Not sure of his contract status though.

Rodan would be considerably more expensive than many of the suggestions on here.

I wouldn't mind Davey though, but I believe Jetta will probably return to WA.

LostDoggy
23-09-2010, 04:37 PM

Why did you throw him up? Is he out of contract? Very interesting proposition if he is, and im sure a lot of our supporters would be happy if we were able to do a deal, he would be a good fit alongside Barry. Problem is that.. what would it cost?

Everitt + GC pick? :confused: probably not enough where Carlton is concerned.

EasternWest
23-09-2010, 04:43 PM

I would take Eddie Betts in a heartbeat. But on the proviso there are no more exploding fist bumps. I hate that.

stefoid
23-09-2010, 04:44 PM
I dont know, but a young quality quick goal sneak is exactly what we need - Eade likes to kick long into the forward line and we just very rarely crumb any goals. Even worse, when the defenders sweep up the ball we have been too slow this year to offer much chase.

mighty_west
23-09-2010, 04:50 PM

I don't mind Jetta, especially seeing him run around against us in the midfoeld in our last game v Essendon, i'm not sure of him as a small forward though, he seems the type to get a bit static, he could add some pace running out of defence or in the guts though, would much prefer him to Tambling.

stefoid
23-09-2010, 05:04 PM
He looked very damaging against us, and Essendon only has one decent inside midfielder to get the ball out to him. Would be better playing alongside Ward, Boyd, Cross, etc...

It was rumoured that he wanted out, but then I read more and it says specifically to WA, so maybe a pipe dream.

but if we wanted a direct replacement for Harbrow, he would be good (convinced harbrow was destined for our midfield next year)

edit: apparently someone a couple of big footy sources have said we are looking at drafting Paul Poupulo, a norwood small defender.

Remi Moses
23-09-2010, 05:53 PM
What about the harbrow pick for Davey?? Is that over the odds? Your thoughts???

bulldogsman
23-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Not a fan of Davey, would love Jetta though.

Would love to get Matt "Flash" Campbell form North as well, I don't think North will want to give him up though. Has plenty of potential, but seems to be injured a fair bit.

LostDoggy
23-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Okay, stupid question, but:

What the hell happened to our pace? Two years ago we were fast and short. Now we've got ten monsters and are one-paced. How the hell did that happen? Did the MC overreact to our perceived height problem?

Boydy was seriously fast. What's happened? Was our speed all in Jordy and Eagle? Who was fast? Where are they now?

azabob
23-09-2010, 06:36 PM

What the hell happened to our pace? Two years ago we were fast and short. Now we've got ten monsters and are one-paced. How the hell did that happen? Did the MC overreact to our perceived height problem?

Boydy was seriously fast. What's happened? Was our speed all in Jordy and Eagle? Who was fast? Where are they now?

And Farren Ray he was quick and would carry the ball. So those 3 plus Cooney and Griffen that is 5 or so seriously quick players.

comrade
23-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Cam Wight was quick.

For his size.

:D

azabob
23-09-2010, 06:42 PM

Is it fair to say that also Lynch, Stack, Hill, Wood, Harbrow are quick?

If one of Stack, Lynch or Hill had come on like we'd hoped we wouldn't be so one paced.

But those 3 selections seem to have let us down in a lot of ways.

Go_Dogs
23-09-2010, 09:04 PM
It all depends where the footy department think we're at going in to 2011. With Eade out of contract at the end of the season, you would hope we don't just top up in order to stay thereabouts without really having the cattle to take the next step.

We need to keep our best draft picks and hoard quality youngsters. If we can address our deficiencies by trading for guys with picks 40+ so be it. Giving up picks under 30 for recycled players such as Sherman or Tambling is fraught with danger.

Spot on.

The list still isn't going to be too far off anyway, and the way to take those next steps is by developing a few more quality kids who can get the job done. I'm thinking along the lines of, Cooney, Griffen, Higgins, Ward, Grant, Wood, Addison, Roughead, Jones, Hooper etc can form a good younger core, and with Hall, Hudson, Murphy etc it's a great foundation.

Getting games into Libba, Wallis, Howard and hopefully another good draftee or two is paramount too.

I'd also seriously be considering hanging onto Everitt and playing him in Murphy's role up forward, allowing Murph to stay down back, which he simply must to prolong his career. I liked Everitt in that role this year, his ball use into the F50 is a highlight.

If Eade can demonstrate the same qualities he did in his early days, by having faith and being (seemingly) a bit more willing to play the kids for extended periods, even with slightly patchy form in some circumstances, then the board and everyone involved will happily renew his contract, IMO. Certain players have had plenty of opportunity and not got the job done - we need to give opportunity to develop the kids, and assess their long-term potential to get the job done.

It's an ever evolving process, and I think he's done a very commendable job thus far, with 09 obviously being the standout disappointment in my eyes. I definitely think he can be the man to take us all the way. Getting a good communicator/developer/devils advocate from outside the kennel will help Eade too IMO. He needs to continue to strive to develop himself, and create new ideas, which I'm sure he does actively anyway.

On the side of that, does anyone else think it's time we look at an independent list manager role at the club?

azabob
23-09-2010, 09:13 PM
On the side of that, does anyone else think it's time we look at an independent list manager role at the club?

I was under the impression Fanaisa is our list manager, or someone who only looks at list management that is not apart of the coaching group?

Perhaps he could also be Chairman on the match commitee?

Go_Dogs
23-09-2010, 09:18 PM
I was under the impression Fanaisa is our list manager, or someone who only looks at list management that is not apart of the coaching group?

Perhaps he could also be Chairman on the match commitee?

He's GM of Football or some such title IIRC.

As you say, I'm thinking someone who isn't a involved in the coaching panel, and whilst perhaps they have some role in the recruiting aspect, it's more so an identification of the needs of the list, rather than necessarily scouting the talent (although analysising the recommendations of the recruiting staff re specific players for instance could also potentially be a good idea).

I probably wouldn't have them as chair of the MC, but perhaps they could also be involved in that process too on some level.

w3design
23-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Clarky from the Herald Sun just posted on twitter that according to David Parkin Josh Hill and Brennan Stack have asked to be traded.

chef
23-09-2010, 09:34 PM
Clarky from the Herald Sun just posted on twitter that according to David Parkin Josh Hill and Brennan Stack have asked to be traded.

Yeah, on the 'Gimme something' segment. Apparently both are unhappy and have asked to be traded

comrade
23-09-2010, 09:37 PM
Yeah, on the 'Gimme something' segment. Apparently both are unhappy and have asked to be traded

If Stack is homesick I can understand him wanting out. If he's aggrieved at a lack of senior footy, he should put his head over the ball more.

w3design
23-09-2010, 09:40 PM
That's a pity. I can see why they're unhappy, I can also see why the club hasn't put more senior games into them. Both are very talented but seem to lack the application (Hill) or confidence (Stack) to play more consistently. At this stage I couldn't see many other clubs jumping at the chance to pick them up either, their options are limited.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Hill would/will easily find another club. He's a talented footballer despite his obvious faults. I can see him becoming a good player if given the right opportunity under the right environment.

Stack? Would any club be remotely interested?

chef
23-09-2010, 09:42 PM
If Stack is homesick I can understand him wanting out. If he's aggrieved at a lack of senior footy, he should put his head over the ball more.

He has a son back in WA, so you can understand if that's the reason he wants to go home.

dog town
23-09-2010, 10:09 PM

Boydy was seriously fast. What's happened? Was our speed all in Jordy and Eagle? Who was fast? Where are they now? Our pace has been on a steady decline since 2006. We went into 2007 with poor depth in our running stocks and since then we have lost a heap of our genuine pace. The game moves that quickly that it can only take a couple of seasons to go from one of the quicker sides to one of the slower sides.

We still have some seriously quick individuals on our list so it will only take a few astute inclusions to get us back where we need to be.

LostDoggy
23-09-2010, 11:19 PM
I can't see Everitt being on our list in 2011 - I want him to, but Eade, for whatever reason, doesn't appear to have any confidence in him.

I'd love to see us bring in Libba Snr as tackling coach in 2011 - our tackling is awful (aren't we 16th or something?), and HAS to be improved next year.

We started to show some grunt this year - we need to take that to another level in 2011. Love the flair, love the dash, step up the grunt. To that end, go after players who'll bring an edge.

stefoid
24-09-2010, 08:41 AM
Stack to WC (swap 4th rounders?) , Hill to GC. (their 3rd rounder)

Desipura
24-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Stack to WC (swap 4th rounders?) , Hill to GC. (their 3rd rounder)
Not that it would be anything to get excited about, I wonder whether a Nicoski for Stack swap will be done? We were looking at Nicoski last year.
Nicoski is 5 years older so would want to exchange a 3rd or 4th round pick with WCE as well.

Jasper
24-09-2010, 02:38 PM
was think of trades we could do to given Hill stack and maybe Everett want out,

this is what i came up with

Dogs get walker and mid pick (2nd or 3rd) and lose hill, everitt and stack

west coast get hill, stack and late pick
lose Mckinley and mid pick

carlton get Everett and Mckinley
and lose walker and mid to late pick

Sedat
24-09-2010, 02:46 PM
I don't mind Jetta, especially seeing him run around against us in the midfoeld in our last game v Essendon, i'm not sure of him as a small forward though, he seems the type to get a bit static, he could add some pace running out of defence or in the guts though, would much prefer him to Tambling.
Leroy Jetta would fall under the 'Daniel Bandy' rule - do nothing against 15 other clubs but play a blinder against our team so that we trade for him. Actually Jetta's only 2 better than average games all year were against us - ditto David Myers.

Not sure about Jetta. He sure has some speed but so does Usain Bolt. Is he defensively inclined or does he only run in the one direction? If we are looking at him to fill a defensive forward role, would be nice if he came with the necessary defensive mindset (like a Jeff Garlett for example). Simply haven't seen enough of Jetta to make a call one way or the other.

Sockeye Salmon
24-09-2010, 03:55 PM
West Coast have 4 rookie upgrades and a F/S selection that will probably be valued very low.

They also already have picks 4, 26, 28, 45 & 62 (the last 4 will end up sliding a few spots as some clubs will probably use their compensation picks this year.

Stack's trade value is basically zero, but if WC are not going to use their pick 45 anyway (likely), we could get it by upgrading their pick 26 or 28 to our compensation pick. We would basically be trading pick 27 for picks 30 & 47.

We gain a 3rd rounder for dropping back about 3 draft spots. At that point we would most likely end up with the player we wanted anyway.

West Coast get a free 3 pick upgrade for a pick they weren't going to use.

Out: Hill, Stack, Pick 27
In: Rosa, Pick 30 & Pick 45

Even better, if we ontrade pick 30 to Brisbane for Sherman, we have given up 3 spots that ultimately would belong to Brisbane anyway!

The Bulldogs Bite
24-09-2010, 04:13 PM
Good post SS and we've had a good trading record with West Coast in recent years. I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar to the above done.

However, I just don't see the point in getting Rosa. He really is just an average footballer with no standout qualities. He finished 7th (?) in their B&F which suggests he'd be a long, long way back in our pecking order. His disposal isn't bad, but I wouldn't rate it an obvious strength whereby you want the ball in his hands every time. He's not slow but he's not quick, he's not an overly physical player either. I've read WCE supporters saying this was his best year too.

I'd rather draft picks personally.

The Coon Dog
24-09-2010, 04:15 PM
West Coast have 4 rookie upgrades and a F/S selection that will probably be valued very low.

They also already have picks 4, 26, 28, 45 & 62 (the last 4 will end up sliding a few spots as some clubs will probably use their compensation picks this year.

Stack's trade value is basically zero, but if WC are not going to use their pick 45 anyway (likely), we could get it by upgrading their pick 26 or 28 to our compensation pick. We would basically be trading pick 27 for picks 30 & 47.

We gain a 3rd rounder for dropping back about 3 draft spots. At that point we would most likely end up with the player we wanted anyway.

Even better, if we ontrade pick 30 to Brisbane for Sherman, we have given up 3 spots that ultimately would belong to Brisbane anyway!
There's a bit of Scott Clayton in your methodology there SS.

Sockeye Salmon
24-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Good post SS and we've had a good trading record with West Coast in recent years. I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar to the above done.

However, I just don't see the point in getting Rosa. He really is just an average footballer with no standout qualities. He finished 7th (?) in their B&F which suggests he'd be a long, long way back in our pecking order. His disposal isn't bad, but I wouldn't rate it an obvious strength whereby you want the ball in his hands every time. He's not slow but he's not quick, he's not an overly physical player either. I've read WCE supporters saying this was his best year too.

I'd rather draft picks personally.

Rosa will never win a Brownlow, but lets not lose sight of what we are offering up as bait here.

Let's think about how many seior players we have for next year. Lets take out anyone who has played less than 20 games and anyone who is not physically developed.

Murphy
Cross
Boyd
Higgins
Gilbee
Williams
Giansiracusa
Ward
Hudson
Griffen
Cooney
Addison
Hargrave
Minson
Hall
Lake
Morris
Picken

That's 18 players with mature bodies and 20+ games (including Addison & Minson who may not play even if fit).

Add a few injuries and we could end up with 8-10 inexperienced/physically immature blokes in the seniors.

Grant, Jones, Moles, Roughead & Wood, fine, but the rest would have to be made up of the likes of Howard, Cordy, Wallis, Liberatore, Tutt, Boumann. We would get monstered.

If we are losing 8 mature bodies, we need to bring at least a couple more back in.

1eyedog
24-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Rosa will never win a Brownlow, but lets not lose sight of what we are offering up as bait here.

Let's think about how many seior players we have for next year. Lets take out anyone who has played less than 20 games and anyone who is not physically developed.

Murphy
Cross
Boyd
Higgins
Gilbee
Williams
Giansiracusa
Ward
Hudson
Griffen
Cooney
Addison
Hargrave
Minson
Hall
Lake
Morris
Picken

That's 18 players with mature bodies and 20+ games (including Addison & Minson who may not play even if fit).

Add a few injuries and we could end up with 8-10 inexperienced/physically immature blokes in the seniors.

Grant, Jones, Moles, Roughead & Wood, fine, but the rest would have to be made up of the likes of Howard, Cordy, Wallis, Liberatore, Tutt, Boumann. We would get monstered.

If we are losing 8 mature bodies, we need to bring at least a couple more back in.

That is a very eye opening assessment, the mass exodus of veterans was a necessity, but it leaves a potential vacuum in our list in terms of strong bodied players with 20+ games.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-09-2010, 07:31 PM

Murphy
Cross
Boyd
Higgins
Gilbee
Williams
Giansiracusa
Ward
Hudson
Griffen
Cooney
Addison
Hargrave
Minson
Hall
Lake
Morris
Picken

Another well thought up post SS.

I definitely agree with you that trading in a couple of senior players is needed considering the retirements, delistings and inevitable injuries.

It probably comes down to what position Rosa could potentially play for us. We haven't got a lot of competition for spots on the wing, but would we be better placed developing Reid or Wallis as opposed to filling a gap with a neither here nor there player in Rosa? Trading sideways probably doesn't help us in the grand scheme of things, unless we really do think Rosa can offer something.

SS - would you still be inclined to bring Rosa in if we were able to secure one or two of a Sherman/Walker type?

With Minson, Everitt, Hill, Harbrow's compensation pick & Stack (Hardly worth mentioning) we have a few possibilities should we choose to explore them.

LostDoggy
24-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Would want 2 out of Walker, Rosa and Sherman, probably Walker and Sherman if for the right price but I wouldnt be against Rosa.

Really hope Hahn doesnt get offered the 1 year contract I just really dont see the point, IMO it is just a waste and he should probably retire but that doesnt change the fact he has had a great career.

So...

OUTS: Harbrow (sunbaking on the beach), Hahn, Johnno, Eagle (all retired), Hill, Stack (apparently they have both requested a trade), Callan (just dont see the point of him being on the list with Howard, Tutt coming through and definently if we recruit Sherman and Walker), Thorne/Tiller (apparently Thorne was only signed on a 1 year deal and I've heard he doesnt have a great work ethic so either he gets delisted and if not Tiller does) and I really hope not but Everitt (I hope he doesnt but if the right deal is there we will take it, but I really hope we hold on to him!)

Also if we get the right deal maybe Minno out as well.

INS: Wallis, Libba, Sherman, Walker, draft pick (hopefully a young key defender), Moles, Hooper, maybe Panos, or keep him rookied and draft a small crumbing forward, If Minson goes who/what ever we get for him (pick or player) and Rookie a back up mature aged ruckman from a state league.

DOG GOD
24-09-2010, 08:02 PM
Would want 2 out of Walker, Rosa and Sherman, probably Walker and Sherman if for the right price but I wouldnt be against Rosa.

Really hope Hahn doesnt get offered the 1 year contract I just really dont see the point, IMO it is just a waste and he should probably retire but that doesnt change the fact he has had a great career.

So...

OUTS: Harbrow (sunbaking on the beach), Hahn, Johnno, Eagle (all retired), Hill, Stack (apparently they have both requested a trade), Callan (just dont see the point of him being on the list with Howard, Tutt coming through and definently if we recruit Sherman and Walker), Thorne/Tiller (apparently Thorne was only signed on a 1 year deal and I've heard he doesnt have a great work ethic so either he gets delisted and if not Tiller does) and I really hope not but Everitt (I hope he doesnt but if the right deal is there we will take it, but I really hope we hold on to him!)

Also if we get the right deal maybe Minno out as well.

INS: Wallis, Libba, Sherman, Walker, draft pick (hopefully a young key defender), Moles, Hooper, maybe Panos, or keep him rookied and draft a small crumbing forward, If Minson goes who/what ever we get for him (pick or player) and Rookie a back up mature aged ruckman from a state league.

This is what i would do.....
Harbrow, Johnno, Eagle and Aker (all gone)
Thorne, Markovic (delisted)
Hill and Stack (traded)

I think Hahn will get a 1 year deal and Callan will stay due to Harbrows decision.
Everitt to also stay.

Thats 8 players outed.

Ins would be Wallis, Libba, Hooper, Moles, Player (for Hill) Pick (for stack) + 2 draft picks used
Thats 8 players in.

Bumper Bulldogs
24-09-2010, 08:29 PM
Agree that Hahn should go but I would keep Tiller as he had an injury plagued season and I see more up side in him the Callan.

Also i think we would need to look at Rose down a Willi

Sockeye Salmon
24-09-2010, 08:42 PM
SS - would you still be inclined to bring Rosa in if we were able to secure one or two of a Sherman/Walker type?

They're all interchangable really. I just want someone quick (ideally someone who can kick as well).

Hill seems keen to go to WC and I can't see them giving up pick 27 or 29 for him so I suppose it would have to be a player swap. I don't want McKinley or Spangher at all.

LostDoggy
24-09-2010, 08:44 PM
How do we know Hill wants out?

GVGjr
24-09-2010, 08:44 PM

Excellent analysis.

Sockeye Salmon
24-09-2010, 08:49 PM
The easy ones are:

Akermanis, Callan, Thorne & Hahn (even if he's kept he's vets list so he deosn't count any more) are cancelled out by Moles, Hooper, Wallis and Liberatore

Hill - Rosa
Stack - pick 45 (as per earlier post)
Harbrow pick (adjusted as per earlier post) - Sherman
Everitt - pick 15 (GC) or 18 (Carl)

Walker rather than Rosa would complicate things a bit, but whatever. Walker's probably quicker than Rosa but a worse kick.

GVGjr
24-09-2010, 09:12 PM
Walker rather than Rosa would complicate things a bit, but whatever. Walker's probably quicker than Rosa but a worse kick.

The point of difference being that Walker can probably do better run with roles. A mate of mine compares Rosa to Farren Ray but with a better kick.

I'd be happy with either player.

Jasper
24-09-2010, 09:50 PM

I don't get the love for Rosa, he is a mediocre player at best, not really quick, not a good kick, not what we need. Sherman can't kick either, the way footy has gone we need speed, tackling and kicking skill - kicking skill has to be non-negotiable.

Another issue with the above scenario is that our Pick 27 in two years could actually be worth pick 19 (ie its a compensation pick at end of round 1 of draft), so in effect we do not go back 3 spots in the above scenario.

I also accept we need some mid range age players in the team as retirements and our aging list decline. However, the above trade is not recognising the pick's true potential value.

People also appear to be restricting their view to what is in the market. I would imagine our list manager has a list of players that meet the criteria and will be asking questions about them all, regardless of their contract status and media reports.

If we are going to deal with WCE, I would suggest:

WB Out - Hill, Stack, Compensation Pick (19-27 depending on year used)
WB - Pick 28, Pick 30

These picks could then be used as currency to target other players. High on my list would be L Thomas, R Nahas and A Davey

Has Hill stated he wants to go to Perth? If not then Carlton needing a another marking forward target could be an option. Richmond need a ruckman...why not

Carl - Hill
Rich - Hampson
WB - Nahas

With picks swapping if necessary to balance the deal??

Jasper
24-09-2010, 10:07 PM
The point of difference being that Walker can probably do better run with roles. A mate of mine compares Rosa to Farren Ray but with a better kick.

I'd be happy with either player.

Walker, Sherman and Rosa are all mids (Walker has played back as well)

In our last game of the year, our midfield was okay against StKilda, our backline was okay. Our forward line was slaughtered. Look at our mids that didn't play (Cooney, Moles, Reid and Higgins)...how the hell is Rosa going to squeeze in when he is about par or marginally ahead of Moles?

Our players leaving/or likely to leave are Johnno (fwd), Hill (fwd), Stack (fwd), Hahn (fwd), Aker (fwd)...does anyone else see a pattern...?

Yet many people seem to be looking at recruiting more mids, and mediocre ones at best.

We need to recruit for our deficiences. And that is small and mid sized fast, hard tackling, good kicking fowards.

GVGjr
24-09-2010, 10:24 PM
Walker, Sherman and Rosa are all mids (Walker has played back as well)

In our last game of the year, our midfield was okay against StKilda, our backline was okay. Our forward line was slaughtered. Look at our mids that didn't play (Cooney, Moles, Reid and Higgins)...how the hell is Rosa going to squeeze in when he is about par or marginally ahead of Moles?

Our players leaving/or likely to leave are Johnno (fwd), Hill (fwd), Stack (fwd), Hahn (fwd), Aker (fwd)...does anyone else see a pattern...?

Yet many people seem to be looking at recruiting more mids, and mediocre ones at best.

We need to recruit for our deficiences. And that is small and mid sized fast, hard tackling, good kicking fowards.

I beg to differ and I think I have offered my views on Walker a few times now. The side lacks some run and some defensive stoppers in the likes of Picken.
I think Rosa could be used to cover the loss of Hill who has primarily been played out of position and lacks the required intensity that Eade wants.

Both Boyd and Cross haven't delivered consistently with their defensive duties this season and I can see a spot for a bigger bodied run with player and Walker is around the mark.

Obviously to be considered as genuine trade candidates the coach would have to see the value in either of those guys plus he would have to work out if they would fit into his plans.

With the players that we suspect are available from other sides and considering the players we have possibly have to trade I don't think we can get the speedy goal kicking types.

How would you acquire the players you believe we need?

Jasper
24-09-2010, 11:07 PM
I beg to differ and I think I have offered my views on Walker a few times now. The side lacks some run and some defensive stoppers in the likes of Picken.
I think Rosa could be used to cover the loss of Hill who has primarily been played out of position and lacks the required intensity that Eade wants.

Both Boyd and Cross haven't delivered consistently with their defensive duties this season and I can see a spot for a bigger bodied run with player and Walker is around the mark.

Obviously to be considered as genuine trade candidates the coach would have to see the value in either of those guys plus he would have to work out if they would fit into his plans.

With the players that we suspect are available from other sides and considering the players we have possibly have to trade I don't think we can get the speedy goal kicking types.

How would you acquire the players you believe we need?

Its early days, and I think many of us are assuming too many things.

1 - We have a number of big bodied mids already. I would suggest Reid, Cross, Boyd and Ward are all solid units and could play the 'Walker' role. Boyd needs re-programming - not giving him the captaincy will be a start, then telling him to play within his limitations and play defensively will be the finish. We know he can do it. Recruiting a patchy injury prone player like Walker adds little to our list

2 - Rosa is just ordinary, you haven't mentioned who he pushes out of our current mid group, probably because he struggles to do so, and frankly I would rather see Mitch and Libba get a taste before a plodder like Rosa if our list was thinned out by injury. We should not be trading for 'depth' players like Rosa.

3 - If the price is right and the need is enough, a deal can be done for the smaller speedier types that I admit may come at a premium. Nahas was dropped a few times this year by Richmond as other players filled his role. Yet Nahas can kick a goal, can tackle and is fast. Surely, Nahas would be tempted by 22 games a year in a top 4 side crying out for a player of his type. And surely Richmond could be tempted by something, for instance our compensation pick which could fetch Pick 19 for Nahas and their 3rd or 4th round pick?

4 - And if you want to offer some good bait so to speak, and this will be blasphemy I know, but if a former captain, quality person and leader like Luke Ball can be moved on from a club and that club makes the GF the next year without having its culture ruined and players cracking the sads, or another club that plays its senior players in the twos all year and that club makes the GF. Why can't the Bulldogs make a tough call and offer one of its plus 28 year old players with strong trade currency (and who is replaceable). Hint: there is only player on our list in this category (initials Matthew Boyd). I would think Carlton and Essendon would both be interested. So Boyd for Betts plus something, or Boyd for Bomber first pick (which we use to draft a speedster who can kick)+ Davey

Remi Moses
25-09-2010, 01:14 AM
Different scenario Ball was struggling last year. Boyd's still playing good footy(Cooney out really hurt Boyd). It's going to be difficult for Mitch and Libba to sustain a spot in the side all season let's be honest

GVGjr
25-09-2010, 08:26 AM
Its early days, and I think many of us are assuming too many things.

1 - We have a number of big bodied mids already. I would suggest Reid, Cross, Boyd and Ward are all solid units and could play the 'Walker' role. Boyd needs re-programming - not giving him the captaincy will be a start, then telling him to play within his limitations and play defensively will be the finish. We know he can do it. Recruiting a patchy injury prone player like Walker adds little to our list

2 - Rosa is just ordinary, you haven't mentioned who he pushes out of our current mid group, probably because he struggles to do so, and frankly I would rather see Mitch and Libba get a taste before a plodder like Rosa if our list was thinned out by injury. We should not be trading for 'depth' players like Rosa.

3 - If the price is right and the need is enough, a deal can be done for the smaller speedier types that I admit may come at a premium. Nahas was dropped a few times this year by Richmond as other players filled his role. Yet Nahas can kick a goal, can tackle and is fast. Surely, Nahas would be tempted by 22 games a year in a top 4 side crying out for a player of his type. And surely Richmond could be tempted by something, for instance our compensation pick which could fetch Pick 19 for Nahas and their 3rd or 4th round pick?

4 - And if you want to offer some good bait so to speak, and this will be blasphemy I know, but if a former captain, quality person and leader like Luke Ball can be moved on from a club and that club makes the GF the next year without having its culture ruined and players cracking the sads, or another club that plays its senior players in the twos all year and that club makes the GF. Why can't the Bulldogs make a tough call and offer one of its plus 28 year old players with strong trade currency (and who is replaceable). Hint: there is only player on our list in this category (initials Matthew Boyd). I would think Carlton and Essendon would both be interested. So Boyd for Betts plus something, or Boyd for Bomber first pick (which we use to draft a speedster who can kick)+ Davey

Whilst I'm not against trading just about any player for the right deal I don't think the club would look at moving Boyd on and I really doubt the Bombers would offer up their first round pick especially this year for him.

I don't believe Nahas would get a lot of games with us and I think 22 games in a season would be a huge ask.

Regarding Walker, (again) I have mentioned that Cross and Boyd came up short defensively a few times this year and that is why he might be a consideration and I did mention that he might limit Reids opportunities.

We have a few trading options with Stack, Hill and Everitt and it will be interesting to see which players get linked to us once trade week starts.

Bulldog Joe
25-09-2010, 08:50 AM
This is what i would do.....
Harbrow, Johnno, Eagle and Aker (all gone)
Thorne, Markovic (delisted)
Hill and Stack (traded)

I think Hahn will get a 1 year deal and Callan will stay due to Harbrows decision.
Everitt to also stay.

Thats 8 players outed.

Ins would be Wallis, Libba, Hooper, Moles, Player (for Hill) Pick (for stack) + 2 draft picks used
Thats 8 players in.

Just a note for everyone that the spots to replace Johnno and Eagle on the list are rookie spots.

So in the example above we only get 6 replacements plus 2 rookies. Maybe that means at least one of Hooper/Moles stays on the rookie list.

The Coon Dog
25-09-2010, 10:48 AM
Just a note for everyone that the spots to replace Johnno and Eagle on the list are rookie spots.

So in the example above we only get 6 replacements plus 2 rookies. Maybe that means at least one of Hooper/Moles stays on the rookie list.

Hahn, Gilbee & Hargrave can now be elevated to the Vets List.

GVGjr
25-09-2010, 10:53 AM

Do you think we would be likely to do that though?

The Coon Dog
25-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Do you think we would be likely to do that though?

Perhaps Hargrave & Gilbee.

I guess the point I was making was we could replace Johnno & Eagleton with a like for like scenario.

GVGjr
25-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Perhaps Hargrave & Gilbee.

I guess the point I was making was we could replace Johnno & Eagleton with a like for like scenario.

I certainly got that point but was wondering what our tactics are likely to be?
Shaping the list this year with Veterans and Rookies will be a particularly interesting exercise.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Regarding Walker, (again) I have mentioned that Cross and Boyd came up short defensively a few times this year and that is why he might be a consideration and I did mention that he might limit Reids opportunities.

Agree with this and the rest of your posts in this thread GVG.

I think a few people are forgetting that Walker is not limited to one position or one role. He can play a defensive role in the midfield, but he's shown an ability down back at times too in a run and carry role. The beauty of Walker is that he's got natural instinct; he can play an attacking role. At the same time, he's got the tank/body/athleticism to play lock down roles.

I was also impressed with how he played up forward v Sydney in the EF.

He's got obvious flaws, but I love the versatility he offers because we don't have too many players like him in that regard.

Bulldog Joe
25-09-2010, 07:45 PM

My reading of the rule is that they need to be 30 years of age. Doesn't that preclude them for 2011

boydogs
25-09-2010, 07:54 PM
My reading of the rule is that they need to be 30 years of age. Doesn't that preclude them for 2011

30yo as at Sept 30 that year

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8344

Bulldog Joe
25-09-2010, 10:54 PM
30yo as at Sept 30 that year

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8344

The wording of the rule is as follows

"In order to be eligible ....a player must HAVE BEEN...30 as at September 30 in the relevant AFL season..."

Now that is ambiguous wording

have been - indicates already reached - interpretation is prior to the season.
that is for 2011 already 30 before the season or actually by 30 Sep 2010

relevant season - indicates current season so 30 at 30 Sep 2011 could be correct.

The words must HAVE BEEN is why I interpret as 30 Sep 2010. Will be pleasantly surprised if the 30 Sep 2011 is correct for 2011.

Interesting conundrum for the club as it would seem important to get Lake on the veteran's list as soon as possible and only have half his wage counted in the salary cap.

LostDoggy
26-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Can you only have two veterans at the one time??

divvydan
26-09-2010, 01:59 PM
No, there is no limit to the total number of veterans you can have, however, only two of them can be outside of the primary list of 38 players. If you have more than two veterans in total, then the amount of each veteran's salary that isn't included in the salary cap is (1/X) where X is the total number of veterans.

lemmon
27-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Any interest in Tarkyn Lockyer? I've always been a fan and could be handy as a hit up half forward with his clean skills and smarts but he really wouldnt help our pace woes.

GVGjr
27-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Any interest in Tarkyn Lockyer? I've always been a fan and could be handy as a hit up half forward with his clean skills and smarts but he really wouldnt help our pace woes.

Well past his best and I don't think there is a spot for him.

dog town
28-09-2010, 08:50 AM
I was also impressed with how he played up forward v Sydney in the EF.

He's got obvious flaws, but I love the versatility he offers because we don't have too many players like him in that regard. I think the way he played against Sydney in that final could well be a huge factor in why he is being looked at. I dont think he is a natural forward by any means but you dont need to be with the game in its current state. He can play 3 or 4 different roles so he would add value for us. Unfortunately he is about as durable as tissue paper so I would be hesitant to use anything of huge value in getting him.

chef
28-09-2010, 08:57 AM
I think the way he played against Sydney in that final could well be a huge factor in why he is being looked at. I dont think he is a natural forward by any means but you dont need to be with the game in its current state. He can play 3 or 4 different roles so he would add value for us. Unfortunately he is about as durable as tissue paper so I would be hesitant to use anything of huge value in getting him.

How so?

Since he's had his shoulders done he's been fine(apart from the broken collar bone, but this just showed how good his shoulders are now).

dog town
28-09-2010, 09:03 AM
How so?

Since he's had his shoulders done he's been fine(apart from the broken collar bone, but this just showed how good his shoulders are now). The last 3 seasons he has played 7, 6 and 16 games respectively. It is clearly a risk to take any player with that kind of record.

always right
28-09-2010, 09:08 AM
I think the way he played against Sydney in that final could well be a huge factor in why he is being looked at. I dont think he is a natural forward by any means but you dont need to be with the game in its current state. He can play 3 or 4 different roles so he would add value for us. Unfortunately he is about as durable as tissue paper so I would be hesitant to use anything of huge value in getting him.

Define "huge value". Swap with Hill? Swap with Harbrow draft pick? Swap with Everitt? (Apparently they rejected that option)

chef
28-09-2010, 09:11 AM
The last 3 seasons he has played 7, 6 and 16 games respectively. It is clearly a risk to take any player with that kind of record.

It is, I guess we need to weigh up the positives and negatives and decide if it's a risk worth taking, as long as he doesn't cost the earth. This season was the first he's played since having his shoulders fixed.

dog town
28-09-2010, 09:37 AM
Define "huge value". Swap with Hill? Swap with Harbrow draft pick? Swap with Everitt? (Apparently they rejected that option) I would certainly swap Hill but I dont think Carlton would go for that.

This is the obvious problem with trading. To get him we will probably have to pay more than Everitt and I dont think any supporter would be comfortable with that. It might just be a risk we have to take. I am not against trading the Harbrow pick because with so many retirements etc we need ready made players to step in. Just not sure Walker will be on the ground enough.

LostDoggy
28-09-2010, 05:26 PM
I would certainly swap Hill but I dont think Carlton would go for that.

This is the obvious problem with trading. To get him we will probably have to pay more than Everitt and I dont think any supporter would be comfortable with that. It might just be a risk we have to take. I am not against trading the Harbrow pick because with so many retirements etc we need ready made players to step in. Just not sure Walker will be on the ground enough.
Isn't there another factor at play. The player wants to be traded. Therefore I am sure that Carlton will simply look for the best offer available taking into account the satisfaction of said player. For example Carlton may get a better deal with Adelaide but if the player says "I am not going there P off" then surely that puts us in the box seat. Lots of water to go under the bridge.

Anyone interested in Little or after the Granny at Willi have we turned cold on him?

G-Mo77
28-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Isn't there another factor at play. The player wants to be traded. Therefore I am sure that Carlton will simply look for the best offer available taking into account the satisfaction of said player. For example Carlton may get a better deal with Adelaide but if the player says "I am not going there P off" then surely that puts us in the box seat. Lots of water to go under the bridge.

Because Walker is contracted to Carlton next only they will be in the box seat. They are not obligated to move him, they don't have to worry about Walker going into the ND or PSD fro nothing. We are going to have to pay over the odds for him if we do actually want him.

Topdog
28-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Because Walker is contracted to Carlton next only they will be in the box seat. They are not obligated to move him, they don't have to worry about Walker going into the ND or PSD fro nothing. We are going to have to pay over the odds for him if we do actually want him.

Yeah but at the same time they are going to have to pay over the odds for Everitt if they want him.

G-Mo77
28-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Yeah but at the same time they are going to have to pay over the odds for Everitt if they want him.

And apparently they don't.

LostDoggy
28-09-2010, 07:25 PM
At the same time there is a player who no longer wants to be there. Like Hill for us surely this means he must go. As a club would you want to keep a player who no longer wants to be there?

Ghost Dog
28-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Another injury prone player with gammy shoulders? DO we really want him?

Dazza
28-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Just a rumour but apparently Ratten was really keen on Everitt last year until he turned up for an interview at the club. Afterwards he didn't want a bar of him.

*Very much a rumour* Read on a Carlton forum.

w3design
30-09-2010, 10:18 PM
Clarky from the Herald Sun just tweeted this "Western bulldogs have stitched up geelongs Nathan djerkurra. Swap for a late pick though that the cats prob won't use. Can play a bit."

Not sure how much truth is in it but that's what he says.

LostDoggy
30-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Spoke to a Carlton fan today about Walker and he would like Everitt. Take him please.

comrade
30-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Spoke to a Carlton fan today about Walker and he would like Everitt. Take him please.

Welcome back.

What's with the name change?

LostDoggy
30-09-2010, 10:48 PM
Welcome back.

What's with the name change?

Ta B. The original is the best

LostDoggy
30-09-2010, 10:55 PM
Clarky from the Herald Sun just tweeted this "Western bulldogs have stitched up geelongs Nathan djerkurra. Swap for a late pick though that the cats prob won't use. Can play a bit."

Not sure how much truth is in it but that's what he says.

Who the hell is Clarky?

LostDoggy
30-09-2010, 11:15 PM
Heard today the Matthew Clarke wants out at Brisbane. Freo might be his preference. Will Brisbane have enough players next season?

Rocco Jones
30-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Heard today the Matthew Clarke wants out at Brisbane. Freo might be his preference. Will Brisbane have enough players next season?

Do you mean Mitchell Clark or are you keeping with your retro gimmick? :)

w3design
30-09-2010, 11:21 PM
Jay Clark, used to write for the Geelong Advertiser, he's got as much (or as little) credibility as anyone else but he does have links with Geelong. I'm just posting what he wrote, maybe it's a case of you heard it here first.

LostDoggy
30-09-2010, 11:23 PM
Do you mean Mitchell Clark or are you keeping with your retro gimmick? :)

:) Sorry Yes
I hear Setanta name being mentioned(like every year for the past 5), well Clark is a better option of the same thing I guess. Maybe be more costly but definetely better.

Rocco Jones
30-09-2010, 11:42 PM
:) Sorry Yes
I hear Setanta name being mentioned(like every year for the past 5), well Clark is a better option of the same thing I guess. Maybe be more costly but definetely better.

You've answered your own question there mate.

With Hudson and Roughead we seem to be looking for a cheap back up who also offers us value elsewhere and can play the modern 2nd ruck role.

There's no maybes about it, Clark will be a lot more expensive plus it seems like he wants to go back home to WA.

stefoid
01-10-2010, 12:21 AM
They are saying Djekurra for a 4th rounder. Im pleased.

comrade
01-10-2010, 12:41 AM
Short, erratic kicking, struggles to get involved. Djerkurra sounds exactly like Harbrow before Rocket moved him to the backline.

If we do pick him up, send him to the back pocket and see how he goes.

aker39
01-10-2010, 10:31 AM
I know there was some talk about Tambling, and you can take this with a grain of salt seeing as it came out of Greg Denhams mouth, but he said this morning that Adelaide would offer Richmond there compensation(Bock) pick for Tambling.

Greystache
01-10-2010, 10:32 AM
Short, erratic kicking, struggles to get involved. Djerkurra sounds exactly like Harbrow before Rocket moved him to the backline.

I haven't seen him play, does he have Harbrow's pace?

stefoid
01-10-2010, 10:50 AM

Geelong fan reckons very speedy and very physical. Something like 8 or 12 tackles in his debut game. defensive forward who terrorizes the opposition backline is also an option :D

Desipura
01-10-2010, 11:12 AM
I know there was some talk about Tambling, and you can take this with a grain of salt seeing as it came out of Greg Denhams mouth, but he said this morning that Adelaide would offer Richmond there compensation(Bock) pick for Tambling.
We may be paying the same price for Sherman. Thats a shame if it happens as Tambling (price permitting) would have been my preference.

Dancin' Douggy
01-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Surely we just offer Richmond the same deal and see if Tambling would rather stay in Melbourne?

Mantis
01-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Surely we just offer Richmond the same deal and see if Tambling would rather stay in Melbourne?

That could only come into effect if we had shown any interest in Tambling which I don't believe we have had.

Desipura
01-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Irrespective of who the club are currently targetting....Sherman, Tambling or Walker for the Harbrow pick, which would you want?

The Coon Dog
01-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Irrespective of who the club are currently targetting....Sherman, Tambling or Walker for the Harbrow pick, which would you want?

Sherman, more damaging & can kick goals.

Greystache
01-10-2010, 12:29 PM

Sherman- Best kick, biggest updside.

gohardorgohome
01-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Harbrow!!