Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
    Post Thanks / Like

The 2019 Moving/Rolling De-Listing, Trading &/or Retiring Thread

Time stops for no one. Next off-season firms as a majorly crucial year. Did I say MAJORLY. So basic forward looking:

Retiring Candidates based on age (obviously form & fitness are more important than dob): Picken, Morris, Dickson, Suckling (If joining the NFL) (4)

Candidates needing a strong year: Roberts, Webb, Porter (3) (Rookies: Roarke Smith. If Duryea gets in front of him, he's a bit behind the queue (1) )

Potential Trading Candidates: Bailey Dale, Lewis Young if they can't take the next step and if there's good interest from several clubs (1) - (Not saying to trade them, but guys who don't get enough games who start to look elsewhere or the club to cash in while they have value, of non-contracted players)

A lot of young talent to sign: (8)

Marcus Bontempelli
    Lachie Hunter
    Caleb Daniel
    Bailey Williams
    Fergus Greene
    Lewis Young
    Josh Dunkley
    Bailey Dale

Obviously the thread heats up next September/October. The main function is to see how the list evolves in woofers estimation from now until then. Last year's edition showed how things changed throughout the year on a rolling basis. It's just an evolving discussion for those who want to be join in, all members are free to, old boring members like me and Twodogs or any of the infrequent posting members or new members, all are welcome. And as always for those who hate these types of discussions, no one is potting the players, the game is moving on where now list management decisions are as crucial as they have ever been. It's interesting especially with form or growth, how players can rocket into 'must sign', old dogs 'must continue no matter what' and vice versa.

So here we go for 2019. Carn you beautiful fighting Bulldogs.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes S Coast Simon, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The 2019 Moving/Rolling De-Listing, Trading &/or Retiring Thread

Dale is my first one in the gun, needs to improve in 2019
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Adelaide clubs will go hard at Bailey williams IMO. Heard a whisper he was open to a move home this year and they were circling.

Him and Bont the two most important in there for me.

Can’t see Hunter or Dunkley going anywhere.

6. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't see Webb even playing next year; I'd rather we paid him out this year and have the space on the list because it's very rare for any kind of sportsman to come back from a major neck injury.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    I can't see Webb even playing next year; I'd rather we paid him out this year and have the space on the list because it's very rare for any kind of sportsman to come back from a major neck injury.
    I suppose it's a chance but maybe moving him to the rookie list if we are unsure how bad his injury is a good compromise.

I guess we have the scope within our salary cap to pay him out but it isn't the right thing to do. Mind you players walk at every chance
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Webb is still in a neck brace isn't he? Not great signs for his future in the game.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to mix it up. Here's my re-contracting order (1-8) of priority for the guys not likely to be cut or retired (although may be traded):

1. Marcus Bontempelli (6+ years)
    2. Bailey Williams (4 years if he has a good season)
    3. Josh Dunkley (4 years if he has a good season)
    4. Lachie Hunter (3 years, although he may want to marry it to his free agency window whenever it is)
    5. Caleb Daniel (2 years, unless he has a sublime full season, then maybe 3)
    6. Fergus Greene (1-2 years depending on the year)
    7. Lewis Young (1-2 years depending on the year)
    8. Bailey Dale (1-2 years depending on the year)
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

11. Likes azabob liked this post