Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Western Bulldogs could reap about $750,000 if they play home games in Geelong

GEELONG is inviting the Western Bulldogs to play home games at Simonds Stadium next year with the lure of a $750,000 cheque for crowds of just over 20,000.

As the idea of a third boutique stadium again gained momentum yesterday, the Cats revealed they had made overtures to the AFL about rivals using their redeveloped stadium.

The Cats are not only prepared to sacrifice up to 20 per cent of their profit to rivals as part of equalisation measures, they say there is no need for a boutique ground.

Rather than writing a cheque to Etihad Stadium management for crowds in the low 20,000s, the Bulldogs could make a cash windfall from playing in Geelong.

Geelong chief executive Brian Cook said the offer was on the table for the Bulldogs and other clubs.

Talk of a boutique stadium invariably raises its head when the AFL is bargaining with its existing stadiums, but Cook said his door was also open to other clubs.

"We have had a couple of discussions with the AFL on the continual redevelopment of our stadium, and we are completing stage three now," he told the Herald Sun.

"We have spoken to the AFL on several occasions about the Doggies coming down in particular and playing other AFL clubs.

"We are very willing for that to happen. They would make very good money. Our capacity crowd was 22,000 last year and we made about $750,000 profit per game.

"Even if the Dogs only averaged half as much as that, the worst-case scenario is they get 10,000 people and they still make more than at Etihad Stadium."

Etihad Stadium is contracted to host 46 games until 2014, and at least 40 matches a year from 2015 to 2025, when the AFL takes ownership of the ground.

The AFL said yesterday that while the boutique stadium option had been discussed among clubs again recently, it did not make sense to inject $150 million into Punt Rd or Visy Park when the league would inherit its own stadium for $1.

In 2011, North Melbourne made just $97,540 from 11 home-games at Docklands before guaranteed top-ups of $100,000 per game, with seven losses on games with crowds of less than 28,000.

Geelong has warned the fabric of the competition was threatened if the gap continued to grow between the haves and have-nots.

Link

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Western Bulldogs could reap about $750,000 if they play home games in Geelong

This idea has been put up before and the AFL knocked it back because they would only allow games to be taken away from Etihad stadium if it was to an expansion market. I wonder if their position on that is changing at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Western Bulldogs could reap about $750,000 if they play home games in Geelong

If it meant a significant revenue difference to us - as a supporter, I would be more than happy to head to Geelong for 2 home games per season (eg. versus Port/Freo/GWS or GC) assuming that reserved seating was reciprocated.

Post Thanks / Like

We should also play one home game against a big Vic club each year at the MCG.

Post Thanks / Like

Like this move, could see a 7/4 set up with 7 at Etihad. Would love one of those games to be a home game at kadinia park against the cats.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

The only real solution is for the AFL to buy Eithad. The current owners want $250 million, which the AFL says is too much. All this discussion on boutique stadiums, Geelong games are tactics to try and get the price down. I think the AFL will work out a deal and buy the stadium.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post

"Even if the Dogs only averaged half as much as that, the worst-case scenario is they get 10,000 people and they still make more than at Etihad Stadium."
    God this is depressing.

Post Thanks / Like

Mooroolbark to Geelong! Hmmm, how many travellers would I need for that journey?

Do the V-Line trains down to Geelong have a Bar?
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    Mooroolbark to Geelong! Hmmm, how many travellers would I need for that journey?

Do the V-Line trains down to Geelong have a Bar?
    Prefer that than say Darwin and Canberra.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    Like this move, could see a 7/4 set up with 7 at Etihad. Would love one of those games to be a home game at kadinia park against the cats.
    I'm not so keen on that. Kardinia Park only holds 22,000 and there'd be quite a lot of people locked out. That game is probably one of the few we can draw a good crowd and make money out of Etihad from. I'd be more inclined to just play 4 interstate teams there, sure we'll probably only get 15,000 there which isn't a great look, but at least we'd make money.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I'm not so keen on that. Kardinia Park only holds 22,000 and there'd be quite a lot of people locked out. That game is probably one of the few we can draw a good crowd and make money out of Etihad from. I'd be more inclined to just play 4 interstate teams there, sure we'll probably only get 15,000 there which isn't a great look, but at least we'd make money.
    New development will have the stadium holding around 34K. If its suggested we could make 750k for such a game,, then I'd jump at it. There is no chance regardless of the size of the crowd we would make that sort of money at etihad.

34k is plenty of space for our membership numbers unfortunately!
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

New development will have the stadium holding around 34K. If its suggested we could make 750k for such a game,, then I'd jump at it. There is no chance regardless of the size of the crowd we would make that sort of money at etihad.

That's $750k for a crowd of 22,000. I doubt the club could get that many people to a Kardinia Park game the isn't vs Geelong. You'd be looking around the 8,000 - 13,000 crowd mark playing games down there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    That's $750k for a crowd of 22,000. I doubt the club could get that many people to a Kardinia Park game the isn't vs Geelong. You'd be looking around the 8,000 - 13,000 crowd mark playing games down there.
    With Live games on TV now, and the thought of travelling an hour down the road (longer for others), and seeing the team get beaten, we may not get that sort of crowd.

Post Thanks / Like

Right, I'm with you now.

I agree with the increased capacity it would be a huge windfall, we're probably talking $1 million for that game. The downside is it almost certainly spells a loss for the team however.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    With Live games on TV now, and the thought of travelling an hour down the road (longer for others), and seeing the team get beaten, we may not get that sort of crowd.
    I think in reality the Geelong crowd would go a long way toward filling it for us. The negative is it will be like an away game for us.