Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Do you want Barry Hall?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

60 71.43%
  • No

24 28.57%
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Barry Hall

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Barry Hall

Will the fact that Higgins has been quoted as essentially saying we don't need Hall and he doubts we'll go after him, have any affect on the footy department's decision - considering this is a man that could easily be leading the Club within 2 or 3 years?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Will the fact that Higgins has been quoted as essentially saying we don't need Hall and he doubts we'll go after him, have any affect on the footy department's decision - considering this is a man that could easily be leading the Club within 2 or 3 years?
    Personally I don't think so...players say a lot without checking!
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Boxing stalwart Johnny Lewis isn't a Dogs supporter is he?

=======================================

Boxing is ready for Barry Hall to go the biff

THE boxing world is waiting with open arms and wallets should Barry Hall pursue a pugilistic career.

Former world light heavyweight champion Danny Green said yesterday his door is open to Hall.

``Barry knows where I stand on his position should he choose to fight. It's up to him to decide what to do and I am here to support him,'' said Green, who next month meets Argentinian Julio cesar Dominquez for the IBO cruiserweight title in Mississippi.

``While it's a sad day for Barry and the Swans, in another way it's a very exciting day. It opens up a new door for him, which could be another AFL club or boxing. Not all men have so much to offer after their football careers finish.

`Should he choose boxing then Green Machine Promotions will be there for him. He's a mate who I have sparred with.

``His father taught him some very sound boxing skills as an amateur and as such he is a very appealing boxing prospect.

``He obviously has huge marketing potential through his national exposure in the AFL. But as I said earlier, I will support him in which ever way he goes.''

Only Anthony Mundine before him has gone from a high profile football career to boxing, and Mundine has made more money than most Australian sportspersons can dream of.

Green said pay for view would go through the roof should Hall enter the ring.

Johnny Lewis, who has trained five world champions including Jeff Fenech and Kostya Tszyu out of his Sydney gymnasium, saw plenty of Hall during his early years in Sydney between 2002-2006.
    ``He boxed as a junior and it's like riding a bike, you don't forget. He would go a long way very quickly in Australia's heavyweight ranks but the want has to be greater than the need,'' said Lewis yesterday.

``Anthony Mundine wanted to do it whereas Barry still wants to play football. And I hope he does because I reckon Rodney Eade would be great for him at the Bulldogs.

``Sydney has over-reacted to him for the past two years. Their so-called leadership group is totally over the top, just a big joke if you ask me. Why didn't they just work through it with him?

``They don't deserve Barry Hall. They sent him to a shrink to decide when he should play. I haven't seen too many of them shrinks but most people who have reckon they are the ones who need help.''

Lewis said should Hall take the boxing path then he hopes he doesn't become some sort of side-show act.

``He could become a circus clown in the wrong hands. Mundine has looked after himself and made a lot of money in the process and Barry could do the same, but as I said earlier, he has to really want to do it.

``If he does, he'll be successful. If he has any doubts, it won't work out. But I have confidence Barry will make the right decision and right now I firmly believe that should be to play next year with the Western Bulldogs.

``How many goals would he kick on the end of their delivery, and how much bigger would those boys be with him alongside them?''

=======================================

Unusually pointed well-wishes for a bloke with no (as far as I know) AFL ties.

He certainly ain't a Bloods man...
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

I say yes as I believe that we have such a strong leadership group from the president through to the bootstudder to keep him in line
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

No for mine
    TCD I see your 10 and raise you to 20

1) He said he can't trust himself, not sure then how we are supposed to
    2) He said he can't see himself playing at another club lining up against Sydney
    3) He has priors at the tribunal that will guarantee long suspensions for any indiscretions
    4) He is getting old in AFL terms thus not as athletic as in earlier years
    5) His age means he is more susceptable to injury
    6) Missing the last 8 games this season he may be injured coming back ala Cousins
    7) He will probably replace Welsh
    8) He will only be around for a year or two
    9) In his limited time he may not be very effective, still adjusting to his environment and game plan ala Aker
    10) He would take game time away from our developing forwards
    11) An alternate player from the pick we use to get him will be lost
    11) He could damage our clean reputation with continued indiscretions
    12) Opposition players know he can be easily aggrevated and will be able to put him off his game and get him to give away frees & 50s and get suspended
    13) He would take the media attention away from positives at the club
    14) We don't need the speculation on getting him to distract us this year
    15) We don't need the speculation on his behaviour to distract us next year
    16) We don't want to send a message to the group that we need to take such a risk to be successful
    17) He would receive even more media attention in Melbourne and would be distracted
    18) Our forward line is currently working well as it is, we should not disrupt this for a single season
    19) Eade's focus would be taken away from team success to managing Hall
    20) He would be doing it to redeem himself and not for a premiership ala Pavlich
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

If we don't win the flag this year then it's a yeas for me.

Post Thanks / Like

YES I would rather we risk and fail then not take a risk at all.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no problem with putting him on the list and have him earn his spot. The only question I am unsure about is who would you leave out of the 22.

Post Thanks / Like

I voted no, for three reasons:

too old

Too Old

TOO OLD
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I voted no, for three reasons:

too old

Too Old

TOO OLD
    What has that got to do with anything?
    Has his age stopped him from kicking goals? No
    Is he injury prone as a result of his age? No

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but for one year with extension, not a two year deal. I would expect in 2011 one of Roughy, Grant or Cordy would start demanding more senior time. None of them will be making a serious impact next year.

In any case, Hall will cost us nothing - 4th rounder is the most we'd be likely to pay, PSD pick quite possible.
    It is also unlikely that all of Welsh, Johnno, Eagle & Aker will be playing next year, so the age question isn't as relevent as it might seem when we know it's a short term proposition.

It seems there are more people saying yes to Barry then there were saying yes to Aker, and I think the Aker deal was a win.

Post Thanks / Like

At the end of the day if the club want him I'm happy with that decision & if they don't, again I'm happy with that too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Is he injury prone as a result of his age? No
    By the law of averages, he will be more injury prone because of his age. Soft tissue injuries are the bane of the over 30's existence. Even though Hall is in ripping nick, you cannot underestimate the greatly increased chance of a calf or quad going 'ping' next year, especially after a 9 month lay off between competitive matches, not to mention the increased speed of the game and the players going red-line the entire time they are on the park. After long lay-offs before re-entering competitive football at the highest level, Cousins, Dew and Aker all really struggled with their bodies the first year back, and all of them were 3 years younger than Hall at the time. But like all 3 players have subsequently shown, pure skill and class comes to the fore, and you'd imagine Hall could similarly make a positive impact on the field as well. Let's wait until season's end to check with Hall's state of mind, his passion to continue his AFL career, his passion to play with us, a full medical check, and take it from there.

In the words of Ari Gold..."this town loves a comeback baby, and Britney f***ed her's up"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

In the words of Ari Gold..."this town loves a comeback baby, and Britney f***ed her's up"
    About time we had some reference to the best character on TV.

If Ari loves a comeback then so do I.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Now you're changing the ground rules, it was just a simple do you want him or not next year, now you want me to justify it!!!!!!!!!! Geez comrade, you're pushy but because its you....

Firstly he's still a bloody good footballer & recently kicked 6 against us.

Secondly, we're much more direct than the Swans, so that should help too as his leads are more likely to be honoured.

Thirdly, he'd aid & take the pressure off Grant, Cordy etc...

Fourthly, he can take a contested mark, so if we need a Hail Mary he provides that option.

Fifthly, he'd take a topline defender which may free others up down the line.

Sixthly, his name in Barry.

Seventhly, he shares the same initials as Ben Hudson, so another BHBAS (Barry Hall's Bonce Appreciation Society) is possible.

Eighthly if he did lose it, we'd probably have front row seats.

Ninthly, he barracked for the club as a kid.

Tenthly, we have a board member with the same name!

So there, comrade!
    Post of the year nomination right there laides and gentleman.

And I agree.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023