Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clarkson's shove on Game Day

Clarko clearly has a short fuse - not everyone would have reacted to this idiot (witness Judd) but Clarko did because he is an angry little man. He has plenty of form, starting all the way back to the Battle of Britain in 1987.

Having said that, he did the right thing apologising to the community last night for the message his actions portrayed that are in stark contrast to the community messaging to walk away from such confrontations - walking away diffuses these issues, prevents the possibility of another Hookes type tragic scenario, and removes the oxygen that these attention-seeking morons feed off. Also well done to Clarko for making a point of not including that dickhead supporter in his apology.

I reckon Clarko is a sensational coach and is fantastic for football, but there's also no denying that he does have the occasional anger management issues. Nobody is perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    im responding to the posts saying he should have dropped him. Im sure the cops who post on here would agree violence isnt the answer.

Now he could have a knife.....serious?
    As "one of the cops who posts on here", I can say quite categorically that you don't always have the luxury of aiming what people, particularly drunks, may or may not do, and in an instance, a person is more than entitled to defend themselves.

I simply put the combating worst case scenario out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    As "one of the cops who posts on here", I can say quite categorically that you don't always have the luxury of aiming what people, particularly drunks, may or may not do, and in an instance, a person is more than entitled to defend themselves.

I simply put the combating worst case scenario out there.
    Agree wholeheartedly. Walking away wasn't working, pushing the guy away wasn't working, he simply applied increasing amounts of force until the bloke stopped. That's self defence. If Clarko had then gone on to sink the boots in or continue throwing punches it'd be a completely different matter. I was talking to my partner last night (criminal prosecutor) who believes Clarko would have absolutely no problem at all justifying his actions in a courtroom.

In the media, however, well that's a totally different beast, hence his apology. Had "forced sportsman's post-incident-that-looks-bad-in-the-press apology" written all over it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    If the guy was carrying a knife, I couldn't think of a better thing to do to entice him into using it than striking him in the throat.
    Actually a strike with force to the throat will make anyone think twice about doing anything, handled perfectly. It stuns the other person and gives time to either strike again or put distance between both.

Post Thanks / Like

Wrongly applied doing that can kill a person. I wouldn't be advising it.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

It's well and good with hindsight and I'm not jumping into it. Suffice to say I guess the only one good thing about being forced into retirement means no longer having to deal with drunken dickheads, and that's a good thing considering a very good chunk of all the life threatening scenarios i faced involved drunken dickheads.

I'm a bit rusty on some laws, but the use of force (with arrest anyway) is using only such force proportionate to the objective. If Clarko honestly thought his personal safety was at risk then even Dennis Denuto could win the case saying Clarko used a proportionate level of force to end the threat to his safety.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rooner View Post
    Actually a strike with force to the throat will make anyone think twice about doing anything, handled perfectly. It stuns the other person and gives time to either strike again or put distance between both.
    Because your average Joe is as skilled and accurate as Jack Reacher..............

I might be wrong on this one, but I thought stabbings often happen after a scuffle breaks out rather than before.

Anyway, I'm glad Clarkson has admitted he could have handled the situation differently, and I'm glad nobody is hurt. I hope that with time the dickhead person that got in his face realises how much of a twit he is, and that the police don't allow the matter to be taken further.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    It's well and good with hindsight and I'm not jumping into it. Suffice to say I guess the only one good thing about being forced into retirement means no longer having to deal with drunken dickheads, and that's a good thing considering a very good chunk of all the life threatening scenarios i faced involved drunken dickheads.

I'm a bit rusty on some laws, but the use of force (with arrest anyway) is using only such force proportionate to the objective. If Clarko honestly thought his personal safety was at risk then even Dennis Denuto could win the case saying Clarko used a proportionate level of force to end the threat to his safety.
    You'll be glad to know that 462a stands unaltered.

Post Thanks / Like

You'll be glad to know that 462a stands unaltered.
    Ah, 462a....

"... If you all don't memorise and recite this by the end of the day you're doing laps and push ups until you do..."
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

So what is 462a then anyway?

*edit*found it. It's the Police Use of Force provision to the Crimes Act

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post

Sorry, Yep. After the early 90's issues with use of force, it was the first thing I remember being drilled with. It's a good test for this whole Clarko thing, and about the proportionate level of force he used to threat he felt.

Post Thanks / Like

Geez you would make a shocking lawyer TD.

The word Police is not used once in 462a.

Applies to any person.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Ah, 462a....

"... If you all don't memorise and recite this by the end of the day you're doing laps and push ups until you do..."
    One of the training Sergeants at my office takes a slightly different approach.

Whenever it comes up he offers a six pack of choice to anyone who can recite it verbatim.

Post Thanks / Like

Geez you would make a shocking lawyer TD.

The word Police is not used once in 462a.

Applies to any person.
    I was wondering who would spot my little test.

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering who would spot my little test.
    pg7-mainwaring.jpg

Well done Wilson, I was wondering who'd spot that first.

15. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

pg7-mainwaring.jpg

Well done Wilson, I was wondering who'd spot that first.

Our cat is named after Frank Pike because she looks a bit like him.